Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sore tongue during pre-op diet

Anyone experience weird round spots and soreness on their tongue while on the liquid diet and Protein shakes. I read on WebMD that it can be a Vitamin deficiency. Not having rashes, swelling, or anything that would signal normal allergies but wondering if the artificial sweeteners are doing it.

Thanks!

I am not a doctor but maybe it could be the acid from your juice drinks? just a thought.

That's what I'm thinking too since I drink a lot of artificial sweetened juice and crystal light lemonade/fruit punch with the Clear liquids. Before, I liked regular lemonade and lemon in my Water, but if I got too much acid I would get like a little canker sore inside my lip from the acid which went away after stopping the lemon for a while. I have no other symptoms that would signal an allergy, so I'm thinking it's the acidity or a Vitamin deficiency since my surgery instructions told me to go off all Vitamins (and certain meds) 10 days before my surgery on the 4th of November.

The WebMD site said it can also be caused by stress or even rubbing of the tongue against teeth or dentures. Egads! :P

But just wondered if anyone else is having to endure this discomfort pre-surgery on top of the stomach growls. Trying to stay strong thru this pre-surgery diet, which is a real test of endurance. :wacko:

Any citrus juice or even Tomato juice does this to me on occasion.

Possible cause may be lactose intolerance. Ugh! :(

Discovered the cause--not only lactose intolerance but allergy/reaction to Aspartame in the artificially sweetened stuff. Just as well, as discovered there are some links shown that Aspartame is a carcinogen. I spent a good 20 minutes on the phone with Kraft Foods (makers of Jello, Koolaid, etc.) and asked if they could look into changing their artificial sweetener in their products to something more customer-friendly (as far as health). I know my best friend suffers severe Migraine headaches if she has anything with aspartame in it and know we can't be the only one with problems with Aspartame. Yoplait Light Yogurt already switched and put "NO ASPARTAME" on their label (the Weight Watchers endorsed kind).

Kraft representative said she was forwarding my comments to their marketing/research folks, so hope they do something. The pre-op diet has been hard with no JELL-O. In the meantime, they emailed me a bunch of coupons for their low-fat cheese, etc.