Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Jitters

I was finally given my surgery date, December 16th.

I was told that I need to do two weeks of the pre-op diet. I feel like this is really going to be my downfall.

I can't stand both. The mere thought of it makes me what to throw up, and this is without having to be forced to eat it!!!

I'm going to be starting my pre-op diet on December 2nd, so I am extremely grateful that it will be after Thanksgiving, yet slightly bummed that it's before Christmas.

I understand the reasoning for losing the extra weight and preparing, but I am feeling extremely glum about this particular portion of the change. I recently lost 6 pounds, however my family was going through a crisis and it literally came off from my lack of enthusiasm to eat.

Anyone else feel this way, have concerns, issues, dislike certain pre-op foods.....

The pre-op liquid (or for some folks strict reduced volume) diet is a rite of passage to a new lease on life. You may not like it, but it won't kill you and you will live to tell about it. I added all kinds of non-caloric stuff to my Protein shakes. To the vanilla shakes, I added more vanilla and some sweetener packets. To the chocolate shakes, I added sweetener and sugar-free cocoa packets. I got a few strawberry shakes and added extra sweetener and a little vanilla to them.....not great, but not so bad - just tolerable. Just think.....in a few weeks post-op, you will be ready to encourage others who follow behind you.

Bariatric surgery is definitely a "pay it forward" situation. Having bariatric surgery does not mean that you will never enjoy a meal again, but it does bring a new outlook on how you can enjoy real food in moderate quantities that nourish your earthly human container. You can expect to come through this - diet and all - just fine. I wish you good luck and good health.

I am grateful that my preop diet isn't as awful as some. I get 4 Protein shakes per day then 1 small meal a day ensures I stay under 1100 calories total. It's pretty easy since my Protein drinks are only 600 calories total. It isn't that bad. I'm on day 4 and have lost 5 pounds. Hopefully yours won't be as bad as you anticipate!

Edited by glass

Here is how I bid farewell to my ridiculous caffeine habit while saying hello to a new sleeve friendly high Protein bev; I used vanilla Protein Powder but substitute Vanilla Chai tea(already brewed, un-sweetened and chilled) for the Water or skim milk and 2 tbsp of vanilla soy Creamer. This my Sleevebucks! I've also done the same but with Mandarin orange tea and a touch of almond extract. Yum-yum!

Try giving it a chance and getting creative. The holidays will come around next year and just think you'll be prouder to pose in family photos! GL