Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting, pain, cant eat food and cant live my life - life with lap band

I wanted to share my personal story because I've recently found that I'm not the only one that has struggled with these issues and it was really encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one.

In November, 2010 I contacted a doctor to see what were the options I had for weight loss surgery, I was then sold on the idea that the gastric lap band would be my best option due to me not wanting to do invasive surgery on my stomach by having it cut. I was banded on November 26, 2010, at my heaviest weight of 383. As soon as I came out of surgery within 30 minutes I was sent home, and began my liquid diet.

I’m not going to lie but the results were amazing within the first 2 weeks. In those first 2 weeks I lost 20 lbs something that I never thought I would. I rapidly began to shed the pounds and inches from my body and went to my lowest weight of 274lbs. Soon I began to experience some REALLY bad side effect (ex. Acid Reflux, port-site pain, unable to tolerate certain foods and/or liquids). Every two weeks I went to my doctor and he would adjust my band .5 cc or 1 cc and those effects continue. My doctor would continue adjusting me telling me those effects were normal, and noticed that weight began to creep up.

My daily routines began by feeling nauseous and not being able to eat or drink anything till around 11am (my stomach wouldn’t tolerate anything early in the morning, I would immediately throw up as soon as I would eat or drink anything). By lunch time I would only be able to eat a kid size portion and no matter what I ate I always had to go to the bathroom to throw up. I began to feel like it was a must and began feeling like I had an eating disorder.

No one ever understood how I would even eat Soup and had to throw up because I felt like I was drowning. Even with solid foods - I felt like I was choking. The feeling of food being stuck had become one of my normal feelings during any meal of the day. I wouldn’t enjoy any dinner or lunch meetings because I would always have to be excused after any bite of my meal.

After 2 years I knew that there was something that had to be done so I went to get a second opinion and saw Dr. Ara Keshiahian. He’s a bariatric surgeon with over 20 years experience with bariatric and weight loss surgeries. He listened to me. He genuinely was concerned about my pain and suffering. And after hearing my story he began educating me on what was happening and why.

I was informed of the many different kinds of weight loss surgeries available and their different short term and long term effects. Dr. Keshishian doesn’t perform Lap Band surgeries (because he doesn’t believe in its effectiveness and knew its side effects made him feel like it would be irresponsible to do) but still knew about it. He told me about the Sleeve Gastrectomy, the Vertical Sleeve, and the Duodenal Switch.

After my consult, I went and did more of my own research. I learned that I wasn’t the only one with a terrible Lap Band experience. I learned how many people around me had Lap Band surgeries and it seemed like that was what everyone was doing. It was like most of the weight loss doctors in the area just cared about the money and not their patients.

Little did I know that 90% of all Lap Bands have fail within 10 years. Why would anyone do these procedures if they’re so bad for us?

I’m currently working on getting better insurance so I can have my Lap Band removed and have the Duodenal Switch procedure. I’ve done a lot of research and I really believe this is what I need to do. Kinda regret not getting the Duodenal Switch in the first place…

sounds like to band was too tight, I agree with NewGirl. It may have been as simple as removing the Fluid from your band.

I thought the exact same thing. I went back to my original doctor and had the band loosened but I was STILL having all these issues, and not only that but I started putting the weight back on.

A real catch 22.

How frustrating! I hope they can figure it out soon and give you some relief!

Thank you! Currently I'm trying to get better insurance so it covers my Lap Band removal and then I'll be getting the Duodenal Switch surgery.

Hanging in there until then!

im a sleeve patient and interesting fact my surgeon also stopped doing bans, he said half of his week is spent removing bands. he doesnt beleive in their efficacy and the side effects dont justify the benefits. Not that im impugning anyone. just saying what he said. I have a feeling the lap band is going to go the way of the dodo within a few years tops.

I have the same problem with my band. I could not keep anything down. Went to the Dr. had a imaging drink test that showed a tiny bit of slipage. My band was emptied for 2 months... then gradually refilled. I gained weight back.. blah. But once I got back to a 9cc fill it started falling off again. That was my trouble spot before. it has been 3 months and the problems are starting again. I am making an appointment to reduce the fill by .5 or 1cc and see how that goes. It is so miserable and concerning as I can't even keep down a Protein shake! I've been getting dizzy and very tired. If the reduction does not work I am seeking a alternate procedure for my long term goals.

I agree with Stevehud, these bands seem to be causing more and more problems. I can't wait to get the DS. I keep reading more about it and it seems like that's what I should have done originally.

I have done a lot of research. People want immediate results with little effort. With good eating and exercising habits and many food choice changes I have lost 40 lbs with the band at 4 cc full. I did not expect the band to do all the work.