Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone take methadone for chronic pain

Hi there. I have disabling chronic low back pain with pain radiating into both legs. I have been prescribed many narcotics and different combinations of the meds trying to find a medication plan that works for the pain while minimizing side effects. I was prescribed methadone 5mg twice a day in addition to my other pain medicines. Since starting the methadone I can barely keep my eyes open. When I am awake I doze off constantly no matter what I am doing. I have dozed off during lunch, in the middle of a conversation, taking a shower, etc. Has anyone else used methadone and have you had this kind of fatigue? Did

I haven't gotten that, yet...but they have tried ALL kinds of stuff for my RA pain...nothing helped.

Lyric was helping a bit, but then my insurance changed up and it was WAY too expensive for my budget, and didn't help enough to make it worth that kind of money to me.

Sometimes your body has to get used to a new med...sometimes it's just not meant to be...speak to your doctor about your concerns

I take Suboxone for depression, pain, and past addiction problems. It is very similar to Methadone. You may just be feeling strong side effects from the drug because you only recently started taking it. The drowsiness should lessen over time as your brain becomes more accustomed to it. However, it could be that the combination of the Methadone and another drug you are taking causes extreme drowsiness. You might have to investigate this yourself because doctors sometimes mistakingly prescribe medicines that counteract or strengthen negative side effect of your other meds.

Be aware that a drug like Methadone may interrupt your pain relief after surgery. If you continue taking it before surgery, it may cause the stronger narcotics to not work as well or not work at all. I had this problem and my surgery was particularly painful and could not find much relief at all.

For the past four years, I have been getting epidural steroid injections for chronic sciatica, which still does not stop day and night. On Monday, I am having a procedure called "nerve ablation". This will cauterized and disconnect the sciatic nerve at the spine and is expected to give me relief for up to two years. Maybe a nerve ablation is something you might suggest to your doctor.......or not...................just putting it out there as a possible procedure that might help.

I am on methadone before and after surgery.

I wish someone had suggested nerve ablation to me. I had back surgery for siatica

and I have been a mess ever since. I have pain shooting down my legs that I never had before and it feels like and electric shock.

I took 1 mg of methdadone for pain after surgery. Everything else made me so nauseous and itchy. It helped with the pain from the incision , but did nothing for this leg pain.

Hi there. I have disabling chronic low back pain with pain radiating into both legs. I have been prescribed many narcotics and different combinations of the meds trying to find a medication plan that works for the pain while minimizing side effects. I was prescribed methadone 5mg twice a day in addition to my other pain medicines. Since starting the methadone I can barely keep my eyes open. When I am awake I doze off constantly no matter what I am doing. I have dozed off during lunch, in the middle of a conversation, taking a shower, etc. Has anyone else used methadone and have you had this kind of fatigue? Did

Am I the only one that thought the OP must have dozed off in the middle of posting?

LMAO! You're probably right!