Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose weight slowly.

@BitterSweet* while I agree with you, it seems that most VSG patients have little control over that, especially in the very beginning.

I suppose if I come out of this looking like a flying squirrel it will be what it will be.

don't knock it just yet.....could be a hot new look...... :P

post-173933-0-90089000-1414117451_thumb.jpg

don't knock it just yet.....could be a hot new look...... :P

THAT is FUNNY! Love it.

Jess I think you're right. Genes are in the forefront. I suppose when it comes right down to it I want the weight loss more than I care about the skin. But true, who knows what it would be like if you didn't do anything. I suppose if I come out of this looking like a flying squirrel it will be what it will be.

Flying squirrel!!!! Ha ha, sadly WAY too accurate LOL

@@BitterSweet* while I agree with you, it seems that most VSG patients have little control over that, especially in the very beginning.

Yup!

@@JamieLogical can you post some info on the beef Gelatin?

@@bobbyswife I first read about Beef Gelatin here:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

But it looks like his link to the study is broken now. It was there about a month ago when I read it... I believe it said that subjects who took 500 mg of beef gelatin per day saw something like a 9% improvement in skin elasticity.

Just to put it out there...when I ordered my Protein from InsureNutrition.com, I also received some scar cream which is GREAT for ALL my skin... so if you qualify for this service, you will find it just great for your scars and other areas!

@@BigGirlPanties have you found it to fade stretch marks? If so, I'll buy a truckload and marinate in it every day!

Great list. I remember being obsessed with saggy skin and Hair loss pre-surgery. Here's what I can tell you post surgery and my top 4 things of what i believe helps combat saggy skin: 1) GENETICS 2) how long you spent as an over weight person 3) how much weight you have to lose 4) how slow you lose weight. I am now 6 months post surgery and am down 70 pounds. I now have 10 pounds to go to get to my surgeon's goal of 160 and 20 pounds to get to my goal of 150. I'm 43 years old, 5'7" and started this journey at 236 pounds. I have very little saggy skin except for a small pouch below my belly button where my skin stretched from two pregnancies. I have not done any of the skin sagging prevention things on that list. I had every intention to, but didn't! I spent most of my life as an active, fit person. It was only the last 8-10 years that I packed on 80 pounds. My weight loss post wls has come off at a snail's pace and this seems to have given time for my skin to adjust. The plain hard fact though is skin will only retract so much. It's unrealistic to think it will be tight and firm as someone who has always been thin. I expect my skin may sag as I continue to lose more weight. Honestly, it's a small price to pay for the endless energy and confidence I have now. I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!!

@bobbyswife yes, it does help with stretch marks and my hysterectomy scar ... it came every month with my Protein Drinks and vitamins... good luck

@@Bluesea71 I love everything about what you said. Thanks so much for the feedback!

My house absolutely love Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. I started using that on my tummy and bum to see what happens. I also use pure grape seed oil for my face and it is awesome. I wonder if it will have the same affect? I love the essential oils.

Haha.. good genetics and youth are two keys you don't mention!

In all seriousness, time helps too. My face for example does not have nearly the neck wattle that i noticed when I first hit goal.

I really don't know the value of many of these items to be honest, but I exercised ALOT, including strength training, during the weight loss phase and it does not prevent lose skin. It does however make you look better because you are firmer under the skin.

Of course, I lost alot (about 160#) , am middle aged and have lost and regained weight a few times in life so I guess I am pretty happy my extra skin wasn't worse than it was! It still required plastics to regain a normal shape. Before, when I did planks or pushups, there would be this huge hanging skin that really bothered me.

I once lost 130 pounds at age 28 over two years and had minimal loose skin. This year I've lost 100 so far at age 53 and am saggy and baggy and flappy and floppy and turkey-necked and bat-winged and panni-pudged and slappy-thighed.

So my advice is to be 28.

No regrets by the way.

26 years old here, and I had everything going for me except for genetically good elasticity. I'm young, I wasn't that that big and not that big for that long. I've hydrated, dry brushed, soaked in coconut oil, taken Gelatin, etc. for months. Bottom line though.. the skin on my arms and thighs are ripped to bits. Poor elasticity, tons of stretch marks (scars), and irreparable saggy wrinkly damage. No regrets here either! And I keep up with the skin care and supplements anyhow. Love dry brushing.

Edited by Ava324

I don't know if those top 10 things work, and I aged out of the youth method, but I did find that a Tummy Tuck works! Sadly, I don't know if anything can help if you're genetically pre disposed to sag. Skin just doesn't snap back after 20 something years of stretching.

Susan