Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New SIPS Sleeve Procedure

Below is an explanation of the SIPS procedure I having on Nov 14th.

Here is some information regarding the SIPS procedure:

Single-Anastomosis Duodenal Switch or Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing Surgery (SIPS)-Introduced in 2007

Single anastomosis duodenal switch (SIPS) primarily depends on intestinal malabsorption, but also utilizes gastric reduction to achieve weight loss. Firstly, a sleeve gastrectomy is performed to reduce the size of the stomach. The lowest part of the intestines, the ileum, is left undivided, but the duodenum is separated, leaving a small segment attached to the stomach and a longer free-hanging segment to which the liver and pancreas are attached. The ileum is brought up and re-connected to the duodenum segment. Digestion of Protein and fat only occurs in the lower portion, about 7 feet long, of the lower intestines.

SIPS is a new type of duodenal switch procedure that made its debut less than 5 years ago and is still under investigation. The main differences between the classic DS and SIPS are the following. There is only one anastomosis between the stomach and the small intestines, as opposed to two in the DS. SIPS creates a longer common channel (through which nutrients pass through) resulting in less frequent bowel movements, less side effects, and less Vitamin deficiencies.

On average, the surgery takes less than two hours to complete; patients are discharged 2-3 days post-op, and return to work after 2-4 weeks.

Advantages

•Greater weight loss results

•Effective procedure to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

•Effective procedure in remission of type-II diabetes

Disadvantages

•May result in less weight loss in the long germ than a classic DS

•Long-term results are still under investigation

Risks

•Bowel obstruction, 2-4% in cases

•Need for reversal or reoperation due to malnutrition, 2-5% in cases

•Leakage, <1% in cases

•Bleeding, <1% in cases

We have the same surgeon. He mentioned this procedure when we were discussing surgical options as well. When researching, you won't find anything on "SIPS", but google SADI-S and you'll find a lot of information.

I chose to stick with the normal vertical sleeve. Good luck on your journey!

ETA: Dr. Enochs is a wonderful surgeon, and I couldn't be happier with my choice to have him perform my surgery.

Edited by Sleevarilla

Mojo56 how did it go? Im up next in April

Dr Enochs is also my doctor :) I am having SIPS or SADI-S Monday 3/16/2015

I had RNY 7/11/2014 So this will be a revision for me. I am currently down almost 97lbs so far with the RNY, but I am having complications with ulcers and hernias.

How are you doing Mojo56?

I'm scheduled in a couple of months, but haven't decided whether to do SIPS or the Sleeve. I'm interested in why Sleevarilla chose the Sleeve.

Dr. Bovard from Bariatric Specialties of NC did my SIPS procedure on 12/22/14 and I was down 97 pounds as of September 21, 2015. I originally had a lap band procedure done in April 2008 and lost about 115lbs but gained about 35 back. Last year in October I decided to do a revision and I love it a lot more than the Lap Band.