Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone actually gained the week after surgery?

Good evening all :)

One week ago today I began my new life chapter and had sleeve surgery. I'm so very happy I did..

Today I bought my very first scale I've ever owned, jumped on that puppy, and I've GAINED 4 pounds!

The wind was knocked out of my sails a bit to be honest. I've been prancing around my house the last few days as if I've already lost a hundred pounds.. hee hee

How is this possible? Has anyone else experienced this?

It's probably Water weight from the IV fluids in the hospital.

Thanks Beni... I hadn't thought of that at all. I was pumped full of it for two days, so that could be a huge possibility ????

Everyone gains in the hospital. As hard as it is, I would put your new scale away for a few weeks. After gaining in the hospital, you have the normal stall at week 2-3 post-op. You may gain again during the stall. Just relax and heal for the first few weeks because your body is going to be adjusting itself to all the trauma it's been put through.

Im am having the smae issue not so much gaining but just not seeing results. I am also feeling hungry being on the liquid diet for post op. Im drinking Protein shakes and Soup but still get that hunger feeling and for some reason fell like maybe not enough stomach was taken out. Sounds odd but I have that doubt in my mind

THANK YOU for the perfect suggestion. I packing it up now and will pull it out again in at the month mark. Thanks again ☺

I feel you cdenny, and I'm right there with you. I'm in a house with people who can eat anything, and right now I just want to weep at the smell of toast fresh out of the toaster each morning.

I'm so happy for you for getting in all of your protien and Soup in. I'm struggling with that actually. Even though I want to eat, I'm not wanting to eat anything. It's a complete conundrum. I think I'm sick of the same things: broth, premier protien. I for one am ready for some refried Beans for sure!!

I gained 12 lbs in the hospital. That's a bowling ball of Water weight, yo.

Also, calibration. Your scale is not calibrated to the same specifics as the one you weigh on in the hospital. Mine weighs me 4lbs less than the one at my surgeon's office consistently. So I know when I make my appointments with them, I'm going to have to mentally add on 4lbs.

I came home with my sleeve 8 pounds heavier than when I went in. I lost that plus a few more, and then at week three I hit my first stall. Oh well. I am down 65 pounds now. It's all good.

I gained 20# in thé hospital, it took over 2 weeks to fer it off. Relax.

Thanks y'all! Makes sense about the calibration. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Miss Mac - congratulations! That's awesome.

Hannah - Thank you for the reminder to relax. I know it will come off, I am just excited for it to. :)

I gained too I was so shocked but now 10 days later and have lost 22 pounds :)

yes..I did..I gained 9 pds in the hospital ..I was on IV fluids 48 hrs...it came off within the first wk...:)

Yes, I had my cut nov19 2014 ,I weight 345 with all the fluids going 24 hours for for 3 days when I left one week later I was 352 it took a week to lose the weight .hang in there on your journey

I wish someone had warned me about the gain! I am mentioning this to surgeon next time I'm there. I was really bummed to gain eight pounds! But it came off......