Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged and wondering if i made a mistake :(

I went in and was sleeved on the 6th of October. I woke up surgery feeling pretty rough, dry heaving sad.png. After several hours, I noticed I had no pain what so ever on my left side, it was all on the right side, rather severe, and if I tried to move, my right shoulder and right side of the neck was absolutely excruciating, and it kept getting worse, it got too where if i move it was like someone trying to pull the outside of my back apart from the inside....at the same time, my BP was starting to drop, quickly....I felt really, really bad then it was all like a dream state. I remember hearing some one say, "start matching up blood now" and that my BP was dropping off. I kinda remember hearing someone say to call me husband. They gave me blood and got me stable and then I went back into surgery and had it fixed where it was leaking at a stable and the blood was going up between my muscles in the back. I spend 5 days in the hospital, feeling ok but tired, of course. My Potassium levels were critical at 2.9, so I had to take potassium. I came home Friday Oct 10th. I felt totally wasted...then on Sunday the 12th, I really started feeling not so good and ended up Monday the 13th back in the ER for dehydration....it was so much that I wasn't drinking as I had developed watery diarrhea. they gave me two bags of fluids and told me to make sure I am eating enough and start slowing adding thicker foods to help my diarrhea...and continue to drink.

SO....here I am on October the 22 actually feeling better, and some what stronger.

I'm wondering why I can eat 4 and 5 small spoonful of food...and I just stop becuase i can't tell when I'm full
I'm discouraged and feeling a bit beat up on. Not losing any weight...well, two pounds. I haven't really started an exercise program as they had to suture my muscle under my ribs on my right side when they went in to stop the bleeding, it's actually not as sore as it has been. I had a hard time with the not eating too fast.....but I'm doing well on that now. i did over eat last night....beans and cheese, but I had each bite in my mouth till it was watery. I don't know. I'm trying. I feel as if maybe I made a mistake

Wow, it sounds like you did have a rough start. But if they got it all under control, you'll start feeling good soon. You're only about a week and a half out from major surgery that came with what sounds like some major complications. It happens. Now you have to concentrate on healing.

What is it that you are eating when you say 4 or 5 spoon fulls of food? I hope you mean puree? If not, I'm surprised your doctor let you have solid foods so soon, and because you had surgery complications. Believe me, you will feel it when you have had just one spoon too much. You should be walking slowly, but the first 2 weeks is for rest. Your body needs that to heal. Walking just helps to get your balance back and build up your breathing. You shouldn't be "exercising" for a few weeks yet. Just last week (week 7 for me), I was given the go ahead to do fast and more strenuous walks, but I was told not to do aerobics or a weight lifting gym regimen for a while yet. Maybe out to 4 months.

All people are different in how they lose weight. I lost 5 pounds my first week...but then really slowed down for weeks two and three. Then it picked up again. It seemed to help once I was on solid foods...or at least mashed up real meals rather than just baby food and Jello.

If you feel you've made a mistake, there just nothing you can do about now but figure out how to use your new tool to your advantage. It's not going to do any good to second guess yourself now. 3/4 of your stomach is already in some biohazard dump.

I'm sure you've had pain, set backs, and disappointments before in life. You got over those and that's what will happen this time too. It is just too soon to doubt that your life is about to take a turn for the better and the healthier.

You can get through this just like anything else.

Here's a tip regarding getting enough Fluid. Leave Water bottles or big drinking glasses with covers all over your house and at work. Every time you pass a bottle, take 3 sips. I have them in the bathroom, every bedroom, kitchen, living room, and porch. I put one on the edge of the steps to the second level because I walk by that when I enter or exit the house every day. I keep two in the car. I even left one in the basement for when I venture down to that dungeon to look for something packed away. If you don't drain the bottles within 2-3 days or so, pour out the old Water and fill with fresh.

Good luck.

Hopefully November will be a good month for you so that you can gain some strength and start to feel better. The issue of dehydration is never going away because we can drink so little at one time. You just have to keep at it. Like mbrinmn says, leave drinks about the about the house. It works for me, too, and I alsways take a bottle in the car.

Just last month I had a go-round with vomiting and diarrhea one night, and passed out in the bathroom twice.....hitting my head on the tub - twice, and ended up in the ER on IV fluids. keep your fluids up anyway you can, even if you have to resort to sugar free Gelatin or popsicles.

Also, it took a few days to get the post-op weight loss going because I came home from the hospital 8 pounds heavier than when I went in. So, I had to lose that IV Fluid weight first. Hmmm, you could write yourself a letter about how you feel right now about your complications and your NSVs (non-surgical victories) both the good and the doubtful, and then put it away for a couple of years. Then look back and see what advice you would give to yourself now, and how you would cheer yourself up.

Idk if this will work for you or not getting Fluid in. I bought the small 8 ounce Water in a case. Many different companies make the 8 ounce bottles. They are much more manageable than the 16 or 20 ounce bottles. I know it's a mind thing but I keep track on a piece of paper and I can get them down much quicker.

Thanks guys...I'm just so discouraged today

You will be just fine! I'm praying for you!

You are off to a rough start...with 2 major surgeries! You are weak from that, decrease in nutrition and anemia...so go easy on yourself. I am sure in time things will fall into place, hang in there! Leslie

Be careful what you are eating.

Your new sleeve has to heal on the inside.

hope this forum is more comforting to you than ThinnerTimes.... I don't think anyone meant to hurt your feelings; I'm sure you will get through these difficult times with the help of your Dr. I sincerely wish you the best of luck....and much success...

i saw my surgeion today....I need a lot more Protein. My BP is still running very low, but my heart rate is good...I get a bit freaky with the low BP as it was low and then bottoed out when I became an emergency situation from internal bleeding..he gave me some tip to try and i think today I have gotton "close" to what I'm supossed to...I'm a little dead in my tracts till hubby gets paid....but I'm gonna do my best to gep the protein up till htem. My labs willl be in on Monday

The first two weeks I felt horrible. So much pain, so hard to get fluids down, difficulty sleeping, and very emotional, and I did not have near the difficulties you faced. It is going to start turning around soon. Take pain meds if you hurt, sleep all you can, and do your best with fluids and Protein. We all promise, you will feel much better soon.

Hope you are doing better Cherokeegirl! Thinking of you and hope things have turned around for you!

Edited by Thinkingthinner1109

Wel...here i am...a big 6 pounds lost :(

6 pounds lost is better than 6 pounds gained. Try and give the weight loss a new spin. Celebrate your accomplishments. Celebrate your courageous decision to get healthier.