Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My guess is that it may slow it down due to the high carb content in the fruit. Just a guess. Check with your dietician to be sure.

Well, juicing is exactly the opposite of what every surgeon tells their patients to do. They say: Eat Protein first, then veggies, then (if you have room) a little carbs. They hand out plates showing what proportions of Protein, veggies, grains you should eat ... and that's when you're able to eat when you're farther out than the first 2-3 months.

So instead of following that program, you're going to mix up natural sugars (I assume berries, bananas, things like that) and, essentially, start violating another thing we're not supposed to do, which is: "Don't drink your calories."

So, yeah, I think you're going to blow your weight loss program.

Here's what I don't understand: Why do people who've never done this before (this is the first time any of us have had our stomachs cut out, right?) decide they're going to make up a different way to lose weight after having had VSG surgery?

Beats the hell out of me.

Wow that was mean. The OP stated that he or she is considering juicing because of Constipation not because they think it's better that the plan the surgeon recommended.

Edited by curvycurlyfit

I wasn't trying to be mean. I meant to say exactly what I said: They will slow their weight loss program.

Here's a juicing recipe taken directly off google for all the things the OP said she/he wanted to include. Here's what My Fitness Pal says it contains:

berry Spinach Blast

1/2 cup frozen mixed berries

1/2 cup frozen strawberries

1/2 cup kefir

1 cup spinach

1 tbsp flax seed

agave to taste (1 tbsp)

MFP calculates this recipe's nutrients as:

182 calories

37 gms. carbs

4 gms fat

6 gms. Protein

That is NOT the kind of food I'm eating on my weight loss program.

Which is why I don't understand why people would switch from their regular food prescribed by their surgeons to eat a menu like this.

I haven't been sleeved yet, but my son who is 2 suffers from Constipation from time to time and I buy him the probiotic yogurt with prunes. It seems to help, and I don't think that is too far off plan.

Good luck my friend!

Sheena :-)

Edited by Dreamingofhealth

I don't think juice is necessarily a bad thing, especially if it is from whole fruits and veg (ie it still has all the pulp and fiber). There are a lot of recipes out there that aren't very caloric, but full of great nutrients. I think we forget that calories are calories, it doesn't matter where they come from. As long as you are reaching your Protein goal and still tightly control your calories, it really shouldn't matter. The only problem is that juice will not fill you up as much, and you may feel hungry sooner. But you can't tell me that fruit and veggies are bad for you and weight loss. My surgeon said specifically that this is not a "low carb" diet, and I'm sick of people pretending that it is.

As long as you can meet your nutritional needs I guess it shouldn't matter although my nutritionist said to be sure to get enough Protein before anything else. But frrom my understanding of how the sleeve helps us lose weight is to be able to control appetite and eat in moderation and the sleeve aids us in controlling that, otherwise why have surgery. You could drink Protein Shakes forever, but there is a tendency to take in more calories and that's how you can negate the benefits of the sleeve. As far as problems with Constipation, the Fiber from fruits and vegetables should help, right? I recommend a conversation with your nutritionist, IMHO, the first year isn't a good time to start experimenting.

I don't think juice is necessarily a bad thing, especially if it is from whole fruits and veg (ie it still has all the pulp and fiber). There are a lot of recipes out there that aren't very caloric, but full of great nutrients. I think we forget that calories are calories, it doesn't matter where they come from. As long as you are reaching your Protein goal and still tightly control your calories, it really shouldn't matter. The only problem is that juice will not fill you up as much, and you may feel hungry sooner. But you can't tell me that fruit and veggies are bad for you and weight loss. My surgeon said specifically that this is not a "low carb" diet, and I'm sick of people pretending that it is.

I'd agree, there is nothing inherently wrong with drinking juices, for instance, you could eat an apple and with the sleeve, probably feel pretty full. But how much juice is in an apple? You might be more likely to drink 8 oz. of juice, to get that much from apples requires about a pound of apples, that's a lot more sugar and calories than you would get from getting one raw apple down. Just my opinion, but we are all different and we have to find what works best for us.

I also do NOT do 'low carb'. I juice EVERY day with my fusion Juicer and occasionally have a nutriblast with my nutribullet. the key is to focus on VEG and very little fruit. it takes only a tiny amount of fruit to get flavor.

i would concentrate on celery, kale, beet root, etc and then add just a tiny bit of fruit. no need to add agave or Monkfruit,

i continue to lose steadily and no issues at all. i juice because i am drinking whole, direct nutrients into my body for the best possible uptake. post surgery, there is NO way i am getting the nutrients my body would need through the little amounts of food i eat.

Edited by mi75

That's seems like quite an investment to remedy Constipation, and like you may just want 'juicing' as part of your regimen. Let's be clear, what you are describing is a smoothie, not juicing. By blending fruits and veggies with skins in tact and so forth you are mitigating a lot of the sugar with the fiber as opposed to juicing (extracting juice from fruit/vegetable). However, that happens with normal people with no surgery. I would double and triple check with the NUT because that may not be the case for us anymore. Flax seeds alone can be blended with Water and some of the approved water enhancers. You will still achieve that gelatinous substance that will move out poop in some people. For some is not even that effective. Or you could drink slippery elm tea...It's an herb that is usually in throat coat teas or drink/take a laxative. Again, why purchase kitchen equipment for constipation???? Just seems like a vague area that could impede weight loss unless you are willing to go completely with all (dark leafy) green vegetables which most are not.....good luck.