Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassed to go to doctor

I had surgery about a year ago and I have lost 40 lbs. I haven't been to see the doctor in about 2 months though and have gained about 10 pounds. I'm too embarrassed to go back and admit how bad I've messed up. Help :/

Stop that! You are in charge -- you're the patient, the customer -- put those medical professionals to work. Partner up! They are there for you!

You're not the 1st patient who gained back 10 lbs. Nip the weight gain in the bud NOW, before it gets to 20 lbs and more. Your Dr. is there to help you, and get you back on track, not criticize a patient. Good luck, you got this !

Never give up on yourself!!! You'll be so glad you made that appointment. Back on track pronto!!

It happens e they said you are not the first & won't be the last , I had gained a few lbs and my Surgeon was texting and asking me when I was coming back in to see him because it had been a while and I wasn't so sure I should go see him being embarrassed but there was other things & issues involved , but I said heck with it because I could feel & see my self starting to eat a little more than I usually do ,surgeon is so cool , when I went in & discussed it with him , he did the barium swallow & fluro check , we both noticed I was little loose so WE decided on a adjustment(FILL), it was all good after that and he didn't judge me like I did myself , so if they are good Doctors then they will help you.

I'm glad you made an appointment, a good doctor won't judge you but help you get back on track:)

A good Dr. will examine the situation and try to determine why you gained weight....

I gained weight, after my first fill of 4cc's...I was apprehensive about seeing my Dr.....

But when I did go in, all he did was laugh!!!

Then explained to me that having surgery was only the first step...now comes the process of adjustments, etc., to get the thing to perform the way it was designed....All bis patients for some reason don't understand this, and they expect things to happen, change, immediately.

I read here every day people saying how "They Failed"....What about the band??? Did it fail? Is it even functioning yet?

And some people say this within the first 30days...or the first few months even....which IMO is totally ridiculous...

If I were building a new house, should I complain it was a failure because the rain gets in, even before they put the roof on? No...I have to finish building the house then see.....and that can take a few months....

So yes, missing follow up Dr. visits can disrupt the entire process....but a process it is...

Edited by B-52

Glad you made your a appointment; let us know how it goes. The band is all about followup --11 or so appointments with the surgeon in my first year.

Someone recently asked me for advice or a tip about finding the green zone and struggling with slow weight loss and here is my answer to her.

My best advice would be to continue working with the your bariatric team. Even if you get embarrassed about lack of weight loss or whatever it might be you need to keep communicating with them and tell them exactly what is going on. Those follow up appointments are extremely important in keeping the process moving forward. They're not there to judge but rather to help but they cannot help without you doing your part and being honest and concise.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum about people skipping follow up appointments because they are embarrassed because they've lost no weight. THAT is so counter-productive and the last thing anyone should ever do. They're only digging a bigger hole for themselves.