Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories should you eat?

I'm a sleeve patient about 11 months out. I recently went to my doctor and I hadn't lost anything in 4 months. Apparently I've been grazing which has caused overeating. Yeah - guilty. Anyway, I'm now tracking my food intake on My Fitness Pal. It's great to keep me accountable for everything I put in my mouth. But, I wonder, how many calories/day should I be eating? I've been trying to stay at or under 1000/day. However, I'm 257 pounds, 45 years old and 5'3" tall. According to BMR calculations I should be eating at least 1857 calories/day. YIKES! Obviously I know that's too much. But, how many calories SHOULD I eat? I thought my nutritionist said 1000 to lose and 1200 to maintain. But, that seems to be too little and I know my organs need a certain caloric intake so they don't shut down. I do cardio and strength at least 4 days/week and a stretching class 1 day/week. So I'd say I'm moderately active. What have your doctors and/or nutritionists told you?

I am 13 months post op and personally I don't worry too much about calories. Instead I focus on getting 80g of Protein, and no more than 30-40g carbs and the calories, fat, and sugar seem to fall in line if I keep an eye on those other numbers (100 oz of Water too).

But to answer your question, if I look back over my MFP logs since reaching goal weight I've been getting an avg of 700-750 cal I would say, and rarely over 1000.

How many calories were people eating in the puree stage I am trying to stick to 3 meals but that doest bring me close to enough Protein and under 400 calories. Is it okay to have my 3 meals and a Protein Shake thrown in to get my protein up?

@@jstrong630 - when you're in the puree stage you don't really count calories or Protein. You're just trying to get your stomach healed from the surgery and not dehydrate. It's pretty common to not be able to eat or drink much for the first few weeks.

I am 10+ months out. My dr wants me to be at 1200 calories a day, but I can rarely eat that. 1000 is my personal goal and I make that most days and have lost consistently. Now switching to maintenance...that should be interesting!

Early on in puréed I was about 400-500 and then 700-800 on solids.

I can't get everything in with three meals a day and no Snacks, never could. My doctor is fine with that, his goal never was to be only three meals, he advocated three meals two Snacks and for me they are all the same size.

At 2 months post sleeve, on solid foods, I was eating around 500 calories, 60 gms of Protein, less than 100 grams of carbs, today at 4 months out I eat around 1,000, 80 gms of Protein, and less than 100 gms of carbs. I am currently losing about 11 lbs a month. I started at 301 lbs, have lost nearly 70 lbs since surgery. Oh, I am 5'6".

My Doc says I need atleast 800 calories to maintain a healthy functioning body and no brain fog.

Edited by SnohoGal98296

How much did you lose tho

Me?

126lbs. From 271 to 145

Be nice if I get that low

You're a guy a most likely a lot taller than me! 145 is likely too low for you!