Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your choice.

Hi there,

I am sure everyone of you that made this choice had a reason. Maybe your doctor choose, maybe you did.. I want to know why you chose the Sleeve over Gastric Bypass.

My doctor won't make the choice for me.. I have asked what his medical opinion is and he just shakes his head and states that it's up to me. He thinks I am bordering both procedures.

I need to make up my mind before it's submitted to insurance. They're waiting for me now.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

I chose the sleeve because I had no medical reason to need bypass. I was healthy with no co-morbidities. I was active so it wasn't imperative that I lose the weight as quickly as possible. I didn't want the higher risk of dumping that is often associated with bypass, nor did I love the idea of my intestines being rerouted.

With the sleeve, I knew that I would most likely be able to eat whatever I wanted within moderation. (WRONG! bread sticks like a b!tch, rice and Pasta make me vomit as does high quality ice cream but I am OK with it. It keeps me on track.) I felt like this surgery was less invasive and I loved the idea of the little grehlin factory b eing shut down, even if temporary.

I love my sleeve. I am thrilled that I did it. The sleeve was the best choice for ME, but I would never tell you what's best for you.

I chose the sleeve because I had no medical reason to need bypass. I was healthy with no co-morbidities. I was active so it wasn't imperative that I lose the weight as quickly as possible. I didn't want the higher risk of dumping that is often associated with bypass, nor did I love the idea of my intestines being rerouted.

With the sleeve, I knew that I would most likely be able to eat whatever I wanted within moderation. (WRONG! bread sticks like a b!tch, rice and Pasta make me vomit as does high quality ice cream but I am OK with it. It keeps me on track.) I felt like this surgery was less invasive and I loved the idea of the little grehlin factory b eing shut down, even if temporary.

I love my sleeve. I am thrilled that I did it. The sleeve was the best choice for ME, but I would never tell you what's best for you.

I appreciate your post very much. :) Thank you! I am still torn, but I am sure I will make the right choice for me.

I chose the sleeve because I have relatives who have had both. The one's with the sleeve have lost just as much weight as the ones with the bypass, yet the ones with the sleeve have had fewer complications and generally seem happier with their decision.

What are your fears about either? Do you have co-morbidities? Do you have any close friends who have had either?

I don't like the idea of having my intestines rerouted. I don't like the thought of "dumping" or with not being able to take certain meds anymore. I am very fearful of needing something later in life like ulcer erosion. However, I know this is a tool not the whole picture is placed on having the sx.

With Sleeve I don't like the fact that it can make GERD worse .Some say it doesn't work as great as gastric bypass. I am not sure about that.. Not enough research done on my part to analyze that topic.

I am diabetic, high blood pressure, knee and back issues & sleep apnea.

I do. I have a friend who had the sleeve and she loves hers.

If I was diabetic, I MAY have leaned towards the bypass because it cures it very quickly. If your diabetes is pretty controllable and losing weight will do it, the sleeve is still a good option.

The knee, back and sleep issues should be resolved or helped a lot with weight loss so either will work there.

Another reason I chose sleeve? I hate taking pills. I knew I wouldn't take all the Vitamins a bypass requires so that was a big no for me.

Lipstick lady and Cynthia have made all the points I would. For me as well the intestinal rerouting just felt like a bigger deal - it's a bigger surgery with a higher risk of surgery complications, but mostly I just worried about longterm problems associated with the malabsorption. I didn't want to have to worry for the rest of my life about getting doctors to prescribe pills specially for me given my anatomy. And of course as we age we tend to take a lot more pills! I liked that the sleeve was just simpler - my stomach is smaller now, but that's it.

That said - I think your GERD concerns are important. Other than due to lap band problems I never had GERD, but since my sleeve I do have to take a PPI daily or I feel the acid building in my stomach. I really hope this dissipates over time. I hear that it often does. I wish you the best in your decision. Either option will give you a great opportunity to take back your health.

I choose the sleeve because I was worried about the malabsorption of nutrients & the idea of "dumping" were not attractive. Also just before my decision, 2 people I knew had problems with their surgeries-1 with sleeve, 1 with bypass. My surgeon told be that the effect on diabetes with the sleeve is similar to the bypass, but they can't explain it ( with the bypass, there are known reasons it helps). My dilemma was that the sleeve is relatively new & not as well studied in the long term, plus once that part of your stomach is gone- it's gone forever. They do say that the bypass is more effective than the sleeve & you should loose more. What is your "gut" ???? telling you?

With Sleeve I don't like the fact that it can make GERD worse .Some say it doesn't work as great as gastric bypass. I am not sure about that.. Not enough research done on my part to analyze that topic.

Here's what the surgeon that i saw during my seminar said, and I wish docs would address this: It's a Psychological thing. It depends on what kind of eater you are. For example:

meat and potatoes eater, have issues with Portion Control but not huge on sugar, don't drink a lot of calories, mobile, able to stand and move on your own-- VSG would be a good choice. I chose VSG because after the surgeon closed me up, it was all on me. I wasn't counting on some intestinal trickery nor was I counting on an implanted device. Loss seemed the most natural.

Issues with portion control, sugar is a HUGE problem, need to lose a lot of weight in a life or death situation, or immobile/unable to move on your own-- RNY would be a good choice to give you the best chances for weight loss success. Because many RNYers dump, it helps them avoid sugar. Also because of mal-absorption, loss is rapid. My seminar surgeon referred to it as the Cadillac of weight loss surgeries.

Fairly active, don't have issues with portion control OR sugar, just have weight problem and need some additional help to slow down and stop eating when you're full-- Lap Band may be a good choice. WARNING that Lap Band requires the MOST amount of work. Successful Banders I know go at it pretty hard, every day. Takes an enormous amount of work to be successful. There are also some issues with the band-- I see a lot of revisions due to slips and stomach erosion, plus people just not knowing how to care for themselves with the band.

I HAVE heard that Duodenal switch is the Supercharger of the WLS Surgeries. The Sleeve is only part ONE of the DS procedure. DS is good for people with a significant amount of weight to lose.

During the initial seminar, my surgeon stated the the bypass showed great results for people with co morbidities like diabetes and HBP. I had neither, and didn't care for the idea of having my intestines rerouted, so I chose the sleeve. 20 months out and I have no regrets.

Susan

I chose the sleeve for many of the reasons others have listed. I am right on the border of sleeve or bypass being good options. I do have many issues like diabetes, hbp, sleep apnea but I just don't want my insides rerouted. I like the idea of less restrictions with the sleeve. I do not want to forever have to crush my pills or worry about dumping syndrome. I also don't want to have to worry about Vitamin deficiency. For me, it was an easy choice.

I have the same co-morbidities. I was sleeved Sept. 26th at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. The doctor said my diabetes would go away in 3 - 4 days. It went away in 2! He said the sleep apnea and non-alcoholic fatty liver would go away in 3 - 4 months. I never wanted my insides re-routed or the dumping you get because of the removal of the pyloric valve with bypass. I also didn't want the higher level of aftercare necessary to make sure I didn't develop Vitamin or mineral deficiencies. I was sleeved on a Friday morning. By Sunday morning I felt as though no surgery had happened! VERY happy I chose the sleeve.

Edited by BeagleLover

I seriously considered the lap-band prior to my VSG. I actually went through with the pre-op testing and everything. But I worried about slipping, and the fact that a foreign object would be in my body for the next 50 or so years. So in the end I chose the sleeve.

I never considered the bypass, I guess because I had no co-morbidities. That said, both my mother and my sister are insulin dependent diabetics. My mom had the bypass four years ago, and is off of all of her medications except for small doses of insulin with meals. My sister is planning on having the bypass in December. If I'd had their co-morbidities, I probably would have chosen the bypass as well. Just my humble opinion.

For me, I started out my journey totally certain that I wanted bypass, but about 1/2 way through the pre-op insurance requirements I realized that the re-routing of the intestines was not really something I wanted. The reason I chose the bypass initially was because I thought you could lose more weight with it. I decided at that point that if having bypass meant I lost 100 pounds, and having the sleeve meant I lost only 75 pounds, no big deal....if I had the tool I could work harder to get those extra few pounds off. Turns out my concerns were moot because I have lost 140 pounds with the sleeve and never regretted my decision for a minute!