Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First bad meal post op!

I know I know I shouldn't even be thinking about this but I'm just curious. I guess knowing that I will be able to eat bad food periodically close to never makes my liquid diet feel easy. Anyways, when did you eat your first bad meal after surgery? Burgers, Pasta, burrito, pizza, etc. how many weeks or months post op were you? How did your tummy react?

Honestly, everything you listed there isn't bad if made relatively lean and of course, if you follow portion sizes. Burgers can be a perfect balanced meal if you make the little 2oz patty, wrap it in lettuce and use a pickle / touch of ketchup / mustard. I just avoid the bun. pizza is actually a super food, you just need to eat very thin crust and make sure to have some meats and cheese on the top for Protein. Likewise, I avoid eating a whole tortilla, but have loaded the right portion of cheese and Beans / salsa on a very small portion of a tortilla and ate it almost like an open faced sandwich. I wasn't depriving myself of anything I wanted, just making sure I only ate what I needed as opposed to what I wanted. My doctor actually has Pasta as a healthy carb in my meal plan, just once more, you need protein with it and of course you need it in a small portion and not very frequently. As far as questionable things I have eaten. I had a tiny small slice of my own birthday cake and honestly, it tasted okay. I didn't get sick from it because I am one of the fortunate people that doesn't get dumping from sugar. I didn't have this surgery to make me stop living my life, I had it to help me start living it the right way. My rule of thumb now... 55 lbs and two and a half months post op - - MOST THINGS in MODERATION. Of course I am not pounding down french fries and greasy Mc.Muffins any more, but by God, I can make a healthy alternative to that taco bell burrito and still enjoy being alive and doing the right thing by my sleeve. Good luck girly.

Edited by GummyTummy

It's super NORMAL to think that way, and wonder when and if you'll be able to eat your favorite "bad" foods.... It depressed me thinking I would forever be unable to enjoy those, but 5 months later I can honestly tell you, you WILL enjoy those, and like Gummy said, in moderation. It's not like you'll be able to eat an ENTIRE huge burger anyway. I ate a little slider about 1 month out. I treated myself then worked out like crazy because I didn't want to take a chance on gaining any weight -- which of course I did not. Once the weight starts melting off -- and it WILL, you'll want to follow a healthy regimen and stay on track so more weight will come down till you hit your goal. My food-obsessive mine changed immediately after surgery. I am so focused now on how good I feel, how good they tell me I look that eating "bad" foods doesn't really thrill me anymore.

You'll be just fine, you'll LOVE the effects of WLS and how amazingly good and healthy you feel. Good Luck!

I know I know I shouldn't even be thinking about this but I'm just curious. I guess knowing that I will be able to eat bad food periodically close to never makes my liquid diet feel easy. Anyways, when did you eat your first bad meal after surgery? Burgers, Pasta, burrito, pizza, etc. how many weeks or months post op were you? How did your tummy react?

It's OK to be curious. It's a long road of "bad" food choices that have gotten many of us to the need for WLS in the first place. I was fortunate to be at a point in my life where I was thoroughly sick of being fat. I resigned myself to the idea that I had eaten more than my share of crap over my 42 years and if I was never able to eat XXX again, so be it, as long as I regained my health.

Now I eat what I want. I make great choices most of the time and when I don't, I eat just a few bites of whatever that indulgence might be. I don't feel guilty, I don't feel "bad", I don't beat myself up. I am an adult and I am aware enough to know what works for me and what doesn't.

As stated above, none of those foods are "bad". I have had a bite or more of all of those. I don't tolerate Pasta or rice well and the crust from pizza sticks terribly. I have actually come to a point where I don't even WANT more than a teaspoon or two of things that are bready/doughy or contain rice/pasta.

It's my thought that if I tell myself never again, I will fail. On the other hand, some people know if they try it, they will fall down a slippery slope. Only YOU can decide.

Some foods make me sick, some make me poop Soup, some make me vomit. I can't tell you what will work or not work for you nor can anyone else. Small bites, chew well and stick to your doc's plans. Eventually you will be able to experiment. :D

I agree with GummyTummy. It's all about how you see food from now on. You're whole outlook has to change. You'll be able to eat anything, really.

I'm 8 weeks out and have been eating almost anything I want for the past 4-5 weeks. But I don't crave anything I used to. I've had pizza, but could only eat less than a whole slice. It tasted great. I've had less than a third of a burrito from Chipotle and that was heavenly. No issues whatsoever. Only 3 times have I eaten just a little too much that it caused me to vomit, but luckily I was home for two of those instances and the other was in my car...but thank goodness I always keep plastic grocery bags under my seat to use for trash.

It's all about making the right food choices and how you look at what you're eating. You need to get the Proteins down first, then you can do the good carbs (good veggies), then with what room you have left, use that for the starchy carbs (rice, potatoes, Pasta, breads, etc.). One or two bites of a tortilla shell isn't going to ruin everything, but remember what you got the sleeve for in the first place...as a tool to change to a healthy lifestyle. A tortilla shell offers no real nutritional value and that's what you have to be thinking about when you eat. It's not about being boring or bland. It's about being smart about foods and nutrition. Otherwise, you just went through a heck of a big surgery to worry about eating the foods that made you overweight in the first place.

GummyTummy says it all...MODERATION

But I can tell you that I have honestly not craved anything and don't miss any of my "go to" foods like Oreos with double stuff, Chipotle burritos, Fritos Corn chips, fresh baked pumpernickel bread, cake with lots of frosting, etc. The less you think about "losing what you used to have or about denying yourself" the more it won't even bother you.

Good luck.

I thought the same way when I was pre-op. I was really concerned about being able to eat my favorite foods again. I'm not saying that I don't still love food but I'm not as preoccupied with eating my favorites as I was before surgery. I have had 2 raviolis (pasta) filled with ricotta (protein) and I have tried popcorn. My craving for sweets is gone (good riddance).

My primary focus at a month after surgery is eating 60g of Protein so I don't have to drink a Protein shake. I loved Protein shakes pre-op but they give me a tummy ache now so if I can get to 60g with my food, I'm rewarded by not having to drink one. And I'd rather pass up on carbs that get a bellyache drinking a shake.

Thank you all for your feedback! Some days I don't feel normal and the fat girl thoughts come to mind but I know once I am able to have them, they will not be as worth it as I think. Moderation is key! Good day :)

I have not had a burger or burrito since surgery. I have had a Pasta noodle to try and it seems to sit heavy in my sleeve. In fact any bread product feels dense and like a rock just sitting there.

I have had tortilla pizza, but now that I read about wonton wrapper pizzas, I want that instead. My sister and I went to a Mexican restaurant and I just ate a piece of shredded chicken out of her taco. A burrito seems like it would be way too heavy as the tortilla isn't cooked.

I saw a whole list on Pinterest of wonton wrapper pizzas, tacos, and burritos. Fill them and bake til crispy! I can't wait to make little bite size pizzas.

Honestly with as few bites as I take now, 2 little wontons would be filling enough!

For all of you who don't like, or cannot eat, Protein shakes, try GENEPRO. I bought it on Amazon.com. One little scoop (about a rounded tablespoon) is all you need to get 30 g of Protein. It is Water soluble, just like Benefiber or Miralax. You can put it in just about everything and not taste it...your morning yogurt, cottage cheese, mash it in with enough hamburger for one patty and grill it, put it on your salad, etc. The possibilities are endless. It does add a slight flavor to Water, which isn't a bad taste, it just a funny taste. Now I mix it in with my daily Sobe Lifewater or Fuze Slenderize water.

I really feel less tied to Protein Shakes (powdered or canned) since I have found this great product.