Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All your dreams are possible

I am 2.5 years post op and today I crossed the finish line of my first Triathlon. I want to encourage all the newbies to stay strong. Remember the first few months are the hardest and every struggle is worth the reward! You can do it and achieve all the dreams you think are now impossible. Dream big and keep your focus off the silly number on the scale. post-187341-1413755884691_thumb.jpg

Thanks a terrific accomplishment! Well done!!!

This is awesome! Congrats! I know training for anything takes a lot of time and energy, plus there is the mental aspect that no amount of training your body can prepare you for. What made you decide you wanted to try a triathlon?

I personally have my sights set on the Missouri River 340 in July, 2015. It's a 340 miles kayak race over the span of 88 hours (4 days.) I've wanted to do it for 4 or 5 years but always felt I could never get fit enough. As I talked it over with the exercise physiologist, I realized I don't have a "goal" weight in mind but rather some awesome physical goals. And the fact that she thought it was attainable for me really fuels me... the same me that right now has a BMI of almost 43 will paddle for 18 hours a day for 4 days 8 months from not. How crazy awesome is that???

About 6-7 months ago I found myself unmotivated to workout and stay active. I woke up at 2 am one night and thought about running a 5k. While searching I saw info for a Tri and I thought what the hell that might be fun. I have always played soccer and needed a new challenge. I found a sprint tri that was set for October and figured that would give me enough time to train. Once I got started with training I was hooked. I am the type of person I need a goal to work towards.

I have never been worried about my goal weight. I wanted to be healthy and active for the rest of my life. If you strive to be healthy the numbers will fall in place after the surgery.

Go for the race! When you cross the finish line it will be worth all the work. I recommend reading a book by Meredith Atwood called triathlon for the everyday woman. She is very funny and motivational. While it is geared towards Tri's and you are training for the kayak race, she talks about doing the races no matter what your physical condition is. I saw people today that weighed 250-300 pounds doing a Tri. You just have to make up your mind that you can do this!

That's awesome! I love to read and will check out her book! I've also read several books on what I would consider endurance training. One about kayaking around the whole Florida peninsula, one about a lady who hiked the whole Pacific Northwest Trail alone, a few about marathon runners, and some about people who decided to live off the grid in pretty rigid conditions. The common thread was that each of them talked about the mental part, the part that believes you CAN do this and the part that inevitably wants to give up at some point. I'm tired of believing that I can't do this, I'm tired of giving up before I even try. That's why a race this outrageous is so desirable to me. I know it's going to be hard. I know that once I started to tell people about it they would keep me accountable to something that takes lots of effort. And I also know it will be a powerful memory for me once I complete it!

You should read her book. She talks about the mental game.

Just make up your mind and do it! You will run into hard times during training, but every time you overcome that hardship it makes you stronger.

Those are some amazing accomplishments everyone. I am working on training for my first olympic tri next summer. I will then be working towards my first half and then full ironman race in the following two years. I also have plans to document a bikepacking trip where I mountainbike the 585 mile Colorado Trail through the Rocky Mountains.

I just feel as though I spent so many years abusing my body and not living up to my potential. Now that I have my body back, I want to see just how amazing it is and how far I can push it. I also do this to show others that I am just a normal guy that made a choice and that if I can do it so can they. I will be documenting these accomplishments on my blog listed below.

Keep up the amazing work guys. I hope to hear even more amazing things from you in the future. Best of luck training.

What a fantastic topic and inspiring content! This is terrific!

I love to kayak, hike, and be adventurous outdoors. I didn't even know there were tri's with kayaks. This is lovely!

Book and adventure research day for me! Thanks!

I have my eyes set on an Ironman as well! I have a lot of training to do before I even attempt an ironman. Summer 2015 I am planning on doing a century bike ride. The feeling of crossing the finish line was amazing.