Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you have an EGD or endoscopy after rny?

Someone recently told me that it isn't possible to have an endoscopy or an EGD after having RNY is this true??

That is ridiculous. Of course you can. I have had three since my RNY. I would ask them where they got their info or if they can explain why that is the case.

They heard it through someone else, not sure who, you know how that goes lol but she said that the scope can go all the through the intestine because of the rerouting of the intestines. Can it be done as in depth as before the rny?

The scope doesn't go through all off the intestines as it is, only the upper GI tract. The bottom portion of the stomach cannot be accessed, nor can the duodenum.

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/x828/media/oh/rny.jpg.html

Ok and could that be dangerous later in life? How would they examine those areas if they needed to?

They can't. I am not a doctor so I cannot answer that for you, sorry. They can do other tests which do not involve scopes.

Ok thank you for all that info I really appreciate it! My surgery is 11/18 and I'm excited but getting nervous

Ok thank you for all that info I really appreciate it! My surgery is 11/18 and I'm excited but getting nervous

I think that is normal. It is a big undertaking. I was nervous as well. You just need to make sure you go into it sure that it is what you want to do and do all of your research.

I would say not to listen to people giving you info such as your friend. She is telling you what she thinks, and not what she knows.

As you have questions, write them down and research them, have them with you when you see your surgeon so they can go over it with you.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I feel I've done so much research and then something like this happens and Im like... Hmm haven't read about that! Ugh but I trust my surgeon and have a 3 hour pre op class this weds that will be a Lot of info

Edited by little_mrs

Ok and could that be dangerous later in life? How would they examine those areas if they needed to?

The doctor would have to make an incision in your abdomen and then into the unused portion of your stomach to examine the area if necessary. It would be done laparoscopically. This was one of the options offered to me earlier this year when I was hospitalized with abdominal pain with no apparent cause after routine testing. So it is possible it's just more invasive than a normal upper endoscopy.

Edited by Ms_Kb718