Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does a gym REALLY make a difference vs working out at home?

hey all, still perplexed about joining a gym. i went this week to a local one at got a trial 1-week thing to try it out. it was good, but i have also been exercising at home with resistance bands and dumbbells, plus walking. FYI- i have a great treadmill at home AND work, plus a bike at both too.

i want to get some strength so i'm not sure if i NEED to go to a gym, or if working out at home like i have been will work.

the HUGE issue for me (besides the money commitment), is the drive to the gym, and the gas spent doing it. i would have to go at about 4:45 am before i start my day just due to my crazy life/work schedule and kids. the time thing i could handle but if i can get a good workout at home, i would rather.

i have about 3 months left of my 'honeymoon period'. at that point, i would like to be darn close to goal-i have 30 lbs to go until goal.

i don't know if going to they gym will boost that along, or what. any thoughts are appreciated. thanks!

Edited by mi75

You do not need to go to a gym. I go to a gym. I like taking classes, using the pool and getting out of my house. I like that it is my time that will not be interrupted by my husband or cat. I also know if I don't pay someone I won't work out at home. I just cannot work up the mental wherewithal to do it. I am also not one of those people who likes doing things outside in nature. So do I need a gym? Yes? Do you? Maybe. Are you going to work out at home? Are you outdoorsy? Does spending money each month work as motivation to work out? Is the drive/time commitment worth it to you? Answer those questions honestly and you will have your answer.

The best kind of exercise is the one you'll actually do! So if you will work out at home, and it's more convenient and you're set up - I say go for that. As for weights - you can get yourself some weights - but there are lots of things you can do at home without any equipment - like push ups, crunches, squats, leg lifts, etc. I just started working out at a gym with a personal trainer - and that's what he's got me doing for now. I hope to build up to weights, but for now this stuff is plenty intense for me!

I do enjoy the extra frills that the gym offers and I also have made lots of friends. I have exercise equipment at home which I prefer to use on foul weather days.

it's basically what you prefer to do. I know for me, going to the gym is a better option because he makes me accountable. I know if I pay the $40 for the gym membership, that I will go because I just cant afford to throw away the money. And plus, the gym offers more equipment than most people have at home.

I used to NEED to go to a gym for a workout because at home, with kids (and hubby) hovering and needing my attention there was no way for me to get motivated enough to actually do anything with all the distractions. Plus i yearned to jump into a pool, and wasnt yearning anything at home lol. So the gym became my escape and because i had to invest the money, and time (and prep to leave without kids and hubby feeling like lost newborn turtles) to drive there i made sure to make it worthwhile.

But last year i had a third turtle i mean kid :-p and things can get so hectic sometimes and the gym was seeming like more and more of a mirage.. I didnt want that to be an excuse anymore so lately ive invested in a firmer attitude towards "mommy's alone workout time" AKA "dont you dare call me for anything in the next 90 minutes unless theres blood involved"

AND an awesome gym quality elliptical machine, some weights, yoga ball, and that awesome album from DISCLOSURE. I dont miss the gym anymore (except maybe that pool) because im now working out harder and longer than I ever have at the gym, and dont have a drive home to deal with afterwards! Sounds like you have plenty to workout with at home, and you just need to see if you can create an alone-zone that is motivating enough for you. Good luck :-)

I have an elliptical at home that I paid $3 thousand for, used....it is the exact same models they use at the gym....

However,

I prefer to go to the gym, and I perform better there. Being around other people sets a pace, an example or something that makes me want to do good....

When I am on the treadmill running, and there are people on my right and left 1/2 my age, I am motivated to keep up with them, and in some cases I will not end until after they do...going way beyond my usual time/distance.....

Found the samething, love the gym over home. I zone out at gym and it's my place to take care of me. That is one part of my day I use to hate but now I go to unstressed myself and love seeing the results each weigh-in.

For me, it's too easy to NOT do anything if I stay home. I will sit on the couch and think about exercising but never actually do it. I started using my treadmill to hang dry my clothes instead of using it to work out. So, a monetary commitment was what I needed to stay motivated at first. Now, I have habits and it's great. To meet my hectic schedule, I get up at 4:00 a.m. and arrive at the gym by 4:30. Weekdays this is the only schedule that works so that I get to my office on time. It was painful at first, but the 4:30 a.m. group at the gym are a bunch of great people (who sadly only see me when I look like crap LOL) - and they help motivate me everyday. This is a personal, decision, of course, and I truly think that you can make it work at home - I just learned that I can't. Plus the gym has neat machines and personal trainers to help out when I need it.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

It's totally a personal preference question. For me, motivating to actually drive to the gym is a deterrent. So I work out at home with free weights, and I run around my neighborhood. But being in FL, running outside is a possibility year-round. If that wasn't the case I might have joined a gym just for the treadmills...

Love this thread. Thanks, all.

t makes more sense to do a ten or twenty dollar monthly gym membership to see what your commitment level is first. A good tread is over three grand. Then add weights, etc.

Ask me if the Nordic Track was a better investment than my PF membership.

thanks everyone for your input. it is great. i think the majority vote sounds like it would be worth my while to at least try a gym and see how it goes.

now just deciding WHICH one...

For me, a gym is the only way to go because mine has this wonderful thing called "childcare." So after I get the school kiddos off in the morning, I haul my toddler off to the gym with me. For me it's nice to get the opportunity to work out, have some "me" time, and know that my little one is being cared for.

Most gyms offer a free or reasonably priced trial membership. Take advantage of them, and try a few health clubs or gyms before committing. It is almost like choosing a WLS--one size does not fit all. We all have different needs and expectations, and often the expense involved is a consideration for folks on a tight budget.