Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St George's Hospital?

Hi all, I was recent referred by my doctor for weight loss surgery and I really want a gastric sleeve. I have finally heard from St George's who want me to follow a Weight loss programme with them before they will consider surgery. Have any of you had this? I'm at the end of my tether and can't go on like this. Considering self funding but can't afford to really and would sorted ASAP. How long were you made to follow a weight loss programme? I feel like I've been on a permanent diet since I was 12 in now 27 and want to start my life. Still waiting on a date for my appointment for this crappy weight loss programme!

I was referred to St George's, but I don't remember having to wait that long. I was referred due to a very high weight, sleep apnea and depression. My doctor knew I had tried every diet under the sun when he recommended me, so I think he fast tracked it.

It may be due to the sheer volume of surgeries performed there. They were so busy when it came time to do my operation that I was sent to a private hospital to have it done.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon.

Still not heard anything! 6 weeks now, I've had a letter referring me to the weight loss programme. My doctor actually has been great and has seen me through all my diets and understands I have tried. I'm now talking to bmi and have a consultation in two weeks.

Personally I've had a horrific year, lost my dad, started a gruelling new job, weight has crept up, etc and I want to start the year fresh and wipe the unhappiness clean. So I really want it all sorting by Christmas! I'm 27 and don't feel I've lived a life yet, am jut a hermit.

Am glad St George's were good for you and wish you all the luck! Fingers crossed they pull their fingers out!

Hi all, I was recent referred by my doctor for weight loss surgery and I really want a gastric sleeve. I have finally heard from St George's who want me to follow a Weight loss programme with them before they will consider surgery. Have any of you had this? I'm at the end of my tether and can't go on like this. Considering self funding but can't afford to really and would sorted ASAP. How long were you made to follow a weight loss programme? I feel like I've been on a permanent diet since I was 12 in now 27 and want to start my life. Still waiting on a date for my appointment for this crappy weight loss programme!

.....I KNOW exactly how you feel...I complied to EVERYTHING they threw at me..psychologists then they wanted to make sure i didnt have an eating disorder!!! HELLO!! So I was patient as This psychologist Promised me if I DONT have an eating condition id be straight in for surgery..I went and passed by 2 eating disorder psychologists (amazing how this know alls are like SIZE ZERO?) I Went back to the hospital and she changed her mind!!! Wanted me to go on a eeight loss programme AGAIN. That was it..same as you...at the end of my tether...so I filed an official complaint!!! 4 weeks later I NOW have my surgery date!! You musnt let them play god with you and I told my surgeon this..seeing Id been on their books for years...as they kept holding me back...my health detetiorated!! Badly! My sugeon heard my vouce and went hell for leather in my case...I Won!! DONT GIVE UP...YOU HAVE A VOICE...USE IT!

I was referred to St George's, but I don't remember having to wait that long. I was referred due to a very high weight, sleep apnea and depression. My doctor knew I had tried every diet under the sun when he recommended me, so I think he fast tracked it.

It may be due to the sheer volume of surgeries performed there. They were so busy when it came time to do my operation that I was sent to a private hospital to have it done.

Good luck! I hope you hear from them soon.

me too. I had to complain..as they kept making me go to other referals then change their minds...so I complained...I must admit after I complained...they really really was empathic..like you i became very unwell..had sleep apnea..depression ....very high BMI....hypertension.the lot! My surgeon heard my voice ....overuled the idiots and i have my surgery this month!!

Hi I know how you feel, I don't want to sound negative but I hope your Weight loss programme is not as long as mine...I had to attend for 12 months and it took 16 months to my Operation, it was worth it, I'm 8 days post op now.