Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month out and becoming miserable.....

Hi All........I'm not usually one to complain but I really am becoming miserable over here. I am one month plus 2 days out and I'm losing 3 to 4 pounds a week, which is great....but it's becoming a battle to eat. My Dr keeps his patients on NOTHING but Protein for the first 3 months and I'm hating the stuff at this point. Absolutely nothing appeals to me nor does it taste good. I have to force myself to eat and my typical day is either a scrambled egg or yougurt or cottage cheese for Breakfast, the same for lunch and then approximately 2 oz of shredded Protein for dinner plus a Protein shake somewhere along the way. I can't seem to get more than 2 oz down at a time and I know that I'm barely hitting my target of 60grams of protein a day. I also have become totally adverse to my bariatric Vitamins (swallowable type) and am planning on going back on the chewable as soon as I can pick them up on Monday.

Anyway, my question is this.....Is this normal? To actually have either no appetite at all or to feel nauseous at the thought of approved protein? I do get my Water in pretty well each day.

Please advise and thanks to everyone in advance!

Oh my! 3 months of only Protein would make anyone miserable. My doc had me do liquids for a month and then soft foods for 2 weeks. Now I can eat anything I like. I was sleeved on 8/11/14. Can you have fruit in your yogurt at all? I have eaten Chaboni greek yogurt, 100 calories with fruit since the soft foods were allowed. I also added simply fruit spread to it or would just eat a spoonful of it for a change of taste. Laughing cow cheese is good too....different flavors to choose from. I would add that to my scrambled eggs and any meat I was eating...still do actually. The amount you are eating is normal. I can only eat about 1/2 cup max at this point. I also used to eat sugarfree applesause with smooth peanutbutter....just a little of each on the spoon. I now do a few apple slices with peanutbutter. I also add lt. mayo to canned chicken or tuna and it helps with flavor. Are you seeing a nutritionist? Maybe a call to the doctor and ask if you can add a little pureed fruit to things to help your appetite? Explain your aversion to Protein at this point. Good Luck to you!

Hey Ms. "Change It Up":

Enjoyed your post. I'm scheduled for my sleeve this coming Monday 10/20 and am searching through posts, once again, to gain as much knowledge/insight as possible. I appreciated your post as it gives me a "heads-up" and something to think about in case I come across the same feelings. While my Dietitian says that she doesn't want me eating anything I hate of don't like - I've got the mindset that I "plan" to 'eat to live' rather than 'live to eat'. As such, I'm less interested in "liking/enjoying" what I'm going to be eating, and trying to focus on the fact that it is good for me and what I need to get/stay healthy and on track. Now, since I'm still pre surgery things could certainly turn out different, but this is my plan. I've been on the pre-op meal plan for approx 3 months, and while I didn't/don't like much of what I'm eating - I'm eating it (mindfully) focusing of the good its doing for my body.....AND, hoping I will develop a taste for the healthy stuff as opposed to the stuff I've been eating for.....oh....50yrs.....lol. To this end I encourage you to stay strong and true to the plan/lifestyle. Nothing good in life comes without some sacrifices. And this/these sacrifices are for our own benefit. Get your chewables and keep searching for more tolerable/pleasurable Protein options. Even "Google" Bariatric menus & such for additional meal ideas. Blessings to you.

hi Bobby.....thanks for the suggestions. Problem is, my Dr also doesn't allow any dairy, including cheese, veggies or fruits until like 4 months out. I'm supposed to consume noting but lean Protein and seriously.......even tho I am following his directions, I am loathing it. I seriously have no appetite and when it's time to eat, the thought makes me nauseous. That's why I wrote what I did about not being one to complain. I probably will call the Dr on Moday. Maybe there is something he can prescribe for a bit to help me at this stage of the game. Thanks again.

Oh my! 3 months of only Protein would make anyone miserable. My doc had me do liquids for a month and then soft foods for 2 weeks. Now I can eat anything I like. I was sleeved on 8/11/14. Can you have fruit in your yogurt at all? I have eaten Chaboni greek yogurt, 100 calories with fruit since the soft foods were allowed. I also added simply fruit spread to it or would just eat a spoonful of it for a change of taste. Laughing cow cheese is good too....different flavors to choose from. I would add that to my scrambled eggs and any meat I was eating...still do actually. The amount you are eating is normal. I can only eat about 1/2 cup max at this point. I also used to eat sugarfree applesause with smooth peanutbutter....just a little of each on the spoon. I now do a few apple slices with peanutbutter. I also add lt. mayo to canned chicken or tuna and it helps with flavor. Are you seeing a nutritionist? Maybe a call to the doctor and ask if you can add a little pureed fruit to things to help your appetite? Explain your aversion to protein at this point. Good Luck to you!

Hi Lag50......thanks for your post. I was exactly like you before my surgery and am still in the mindset of eating to live, not living to eat. And i have never been a 'bad eater'.....can honestly say that I haven't eaten a dessert in years. If I had any craving before surgery it might have been some chips with french onion dip and I'd have that maybe 4 times a year. And, I'm not looking to "enjoy" food at this point, I'm looking to tolerate the stuff. Nothing....and I mean.....nothing.....tastes good to me. It's all like mucky cardboard! I would just really like to know if this is normal, how long it lasts and if anyone has any ideas how to deal with it. BTW....good luck to you in your journey.

Hey Ms. "Change It Up":

Enjoyed your post. I'm scheduled for my sleeve this coming Monday 10/20 and am searching through posts, once again, to gain as much knowledge/insight as possible. I appreciated your post as it gives me a "heads-up" and something to think about in case I come across the same feelings. While my Dietitian says that she doesn't want me eating anything I hate of don't like - I've got the mindset that I "plan" to 'eat to live' rather than 'live to eat'. As such, I'm less interested in "liking/enjoying" what I'm going to be eating, and trying to focus on the fact that it is good for me and what I need to get/stay healthy and on track. Now, since I'm still pre surgery things could certainly turn out different, but this is my plan. I've been on the pre-op meal plan for approx 3 months, and while I didn't/don't like much of what I'm eating - I'm eating it (mindfully) focusing of the good its doing for my body.....AND, hoping I will develop a taste for the healthy stuff as opposed to the stuff I've been eating for.....oh....50yrs.....lol. To this end I encourage you to stay strong and true to the plan/lifestyle. Nothing good in life comes without some sacrifices. And this/these sacrifices are for our own benefit. Get your chewables and keep searching for more tolerable/pleasurable Protein options. Even "Google" Bariatric menus & such for additional meal ideas. Blessings to you.

Is there a medical reason your doctor has you on this "only protein" menu, or is this what they do for all their patients. That would be the 1st thing to ask.

I'm only 1 month out, but from spending hours on this site the only certain thing is that so far every doctor has had different directions from pre op , through surgery , and then after post op.

Normally the rule is to follow doc's orders. But as an adult you have the right to question ... Why??

Then you can make an educated evaluation -Is this right ( the best choice for success) for you at this time

Thanks for the reply BellaLuce4.......the all lean Protein diet is the protocol from this surgeon for all his patients. I think he and his partner keep people on this regimen so that you basically are doing what the Atkin diet prescribes so that you are in Ketosis. Whatever the reason, it's difficult to follow. I have to admit that I was jealous when I read what others were allowed in the pureed and soft stages.....mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, applesauce and such but I stuck to what my Dr prescribed thru it all and got thru it but now it's particularily difficult. Even having the yougurt and cottage cheese isn't technically allowed but I figured those two things couldn't hurt and just how much tuna, shredded chicken, fish and such can I consume?

Is there a medical reason your doctor has you on this "only protein" menu, or is this what they do for all their patients. That would be the 1st thing to ask.

I'm only 1 month out, but from spending hours on this site the only certain thing is that so far every doctor has had different directions from pre op , through surgery , and then after post op.

Normally the rule is to follow doc's orders. But as an adult you have the right to question ... Why??

Then you can make an educated evaluation -Is this right ( the best choice for success) for you at this time

I agree with @@BellaLuce4 . Talk to your doctor/nutritionist about how you are feeling and ask if your restricted diet is really necessary. I have been on this site for a while and I don't remember any one else posting that they have to eat only Protein, no dairy, and no vegetables. My doc had me on full liquids for 4 weeks and I thought that was unusual since so many others were on full liquids for only two or three weeks. I followed the diet given to me because I didn't really feel like eating anyway. So for me, it worked out. But if I thought that my doc's standard program didn't work for me, I would definitely question it.

We have this surgery to be healthy. Success is a struggle and we need to do what is right for each of us individually if we are going to make it work.

I agree, Call ur doc / nutritionist and be firm and strong about your struggles and feelings and difficulties right now. They are here to support you and help you be successful.

Keep us posted , Good Luck????????

Thanks IcanMakeit and BellaLuce......I will be calling my Dr on Monday and advocating for a less restrictive diet. At one month out, there must be a few things that I can add to my diet without blowing it. I really appreciate all the input!

I agree with @@BellaLuce4 . Talk to your doctor/nutritionist about how you are feeling and ask if your restricted diet is really necessary. I have been on this site for a while and I don't remember any one else posting that they have to eat only Protein, no dairy, and no vegetables. My doc had me on full liquids for 4 weeks and I thought that was unusual since so many others were on full liquids for only two or three weeks. I followed the diet given to me because I didn't really feel like eating anyway. So for me, it worked out. But if I thought that my doc's standard program didn't work for me, I would definitely question it.

Makes no sense that your surgeon won't allow other food options once you are physically able (and at 1-2 months you definitely are). Sounds like a good recipe for malnutrition. Your body needs more than just Protein to be healthy. Depriving your body of fats, carbs and other vital nutrients is definitely not what you need after a stressful thing like surgery. What's his reasoning?

Edited by Kindle

Hi Kindle.....like I said in an earlier post, I think he's a proponent of nothing but Protein to keep you in Ketosis, like in Atkins. But, I will definitely be giving my surgeons office a call this coming week.

Makes no sense that your surgeon won't allow other food options once you are physically able (and at 1-2 months you definitely are). Sounds like a good recipe for malnutrition. Your body needs more than just Protein to be healthy. Depriving your body of fats, carbs and other vital nutrients is definitely not what you need after a stressful thing like surgery. What's his reasoning?

I have not had surgery yet but went to the mandatory nutrition classes and they have a similar diet to yours it's pure Protein for 3 months after the 2 week liquid diet. But you can have dairy but no vegetables till 3 months out than 6 months out you can add fruit and some carbs. I

Wow sounds like you could have done that kerosine on your own with weight loss surgery and lose that kind of weight. It is certainly a favorable way to meet consistent numbers. While in ketosis you are burning fat for energy. So if in ketosis then always burning fat.

I'm sorry . I have been there and done that. It makes your mouth taste like metal.

Worthers makes a great sugar free candy that can help with a treat and a change. Good luck. ????

hey change it up....i am 5 weeks out...i am supposed to eat what you are too....but like you...i'm sick of that stupid list of 10 foods to eat and nothing else. yogurt and cottage cheese are dairy products...so apparently you CAN have dairy. i hate yogurt and the Protein shakes are just so gross sometimes. i tried eggs, ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce, ricotta cheese with s/f blueberry sauce, refried Beans with l/f sour cream and taco sauce, chicken, tuna, fish, and creamed Soups. everything gets blah so fast. 4 or 5 bites of something and i'm done. have you made s/f pudding at all?? i made s/f chocolate pudding and put chocolate Protein powder in it. not too bad... i have to admit...i have been trying bites of other foods here and there...ham deli meat, turkey deli meat, cheese from a pizza, pretty much anything i make for my family...i will take a bite or 2 of it and see what happens. if you chew anything enough times...it'll be pureed. my next f/u visit is next week and i know the next phase is pretty much the same as this one....YUCK...i'm going to be inching along faster than that because the diet is just so ridiculous. by christmas...we should almost be able to eat everything again. i don't understand the discrepancy between all these different doctor's diet...why some can eat and some can't...there should be a standard rule of thumb...and if there isn't....them there's nothing stopping us from advancing our own diet little by litte.