Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys!

I'm one month out today, and would love to hear from any of you that are going to Mexico for your surgery. I read these boards and all the amazing resources that stateside sleevers get and it makes me jealous. And nervous. I would love to chat about how everyone is getting ready, what surgeons and hospitals everyone is using, if you've found a nutritionist to work with at home, etc.

Anyone?? ((((echo))))

Becca

Just made the decision this morning. I am scheduled for November 24. Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana.< /strong>

I'm scheduled for November 7th in Tijuana. So excited!Already know a friend who has had it done in Tijuana and she has friends who have had it done in Mexico.So glad there is a cheap, safe option out there!

Hi guys! Thanks for replying!

@--congratulations!! What helped you make the decision?

@Revgirl--I, too, am soooooo glad that there is an option for those of us whose insurance said "no." There's no way I could afford it otherwise.

Tell me what you guys are doing to get ready. So far, I have been kind of doing a pre-pre-op diet with two Protein shakes a day and taking a lot of Vitamins. I'm still trying to find a doctor or nutritionist who will work with me. Most hear the word "Mexico" and won't have anything to do with it. I need to really get going on my workouts and taking small bites and tiny sips. I think one of the hardest things for me will be slowing down and chewing everything 25 times. Maybe when you're taking far fewer bites, it's easier. ;)

Happy to hear from you, even if there are only 3 of us! *grin*

--Becca

Made the decision when I found out my company no longer covered ANYTHING weight related. Did not know Medical Tourism even existed until a co-worker told me about it. Took a while to convince my husband that Mexico was a good option. There is no way I could afford $25K.

I just made the decision - have not started anything yet. What are you using for a Protein shake?

Nov 3 in Tijuana with Dr. Lopez. I can email the dietician any time. She told me to go ahead and start the pre-op diet. Tomorrow will be two weeks I've been doing it. Then two more weeks of pre-op and a 3 day Clear liquids only.

I'm looking forward to surgery. It can't get here soon enough!

@ Susie MN--I discovered pretty quickly that my body really doesn't like whey Protein, so I've been using PlantFusion and Vega One shakes. I love that they're really healthy, packed with nutrients, and the Protein seems to absorb really well. Just wish Vega One didn't cost so much!! I need to order some unflavored and chicken broth flavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury soon, too.

@krisrpaz--Amen, sister! I wish it would hurry up and get here. That's awesome that Dr. Lopez has you hooked up with a dietician. You're getting so close! Anything in particular that you're finding works well for you? What is your pre-op diet like?

@krisrpaz--Amen, sister! I wish it would hurry up and get here. That's awesome that Dr. Lopez has you hooked up with a dietician. You're getting so close! Anything in particular that you're finding works well for you? What is your pre-op diet like?

Timing and spacing out "meals", buying in bulk at Sam's and tracking calories is a must for me. I have a cup of coffee first (I'm not cutting this out until 3 days before surgery) at 6 am then I get ready for work. On my way to work I drink a Premier Protein (8 am). As soon as I get to work I fill up my 32 oz Water bottle. I work on that and usually finish around 11:00. I try to wait until at least 12:00 before I have my other Premier Protein and I allow myself a 60 calorie yogurt as a snack if needed. I fill up my water bottle again and finish it before 5:00. At 6:00 I throw a mesquite chicken breast in the microwave while I build a salad. Eat dinner and if I get hungry later I have a giant cup of tea (like 20 oz) and/or a sugar-free Popsicle.

I'm not going to lie. I had a few weak moments but they were small and minor setbacks. I moved on and have not allowed it to derail me (this is a big deal because I'm a perfectionist who usually gives up after one mistake)!

It has grown on me. I got all three flavors so I wouldn't get bored. It may not be the absolute tastiest BUT it has the best calorie/protein/carb/sugar content compared to all the others I looked at.

@krisrpaz@Becca R.; read that we should bring gas-x strips with us to Mexico. Are you guys bring anything else such as bandages for lap puncture, broth, etc for hotel stay after hospital? I wouldn't have even thought of this - read it in another message.

@krisrpaz@Becca R.; read that we should bring gas-x strips with us to Mexico. Are you guys bring anything else such as bandages for lap puncture, broth, etc for hotel stay after hospital? I wouldn't have even thought of this - read it in another message.

The instructions from my coordinator actually suggest bringing bandages but my hotel provides free broth and sugar-free Popsicles. I didn't buy gas-x strips because the gas is not in your stomach, it's in your abdominal cavity so gas-x wouldn't seem to work. I did buy some chewable antacids though.

Here is the email from my coordinator:

Make sure to take along some gas X strips, roll of gauze, a roll of

medical tape, a small tube of Neosporin to put around the wounds but not in them, take a good book, pack lightly and if you have any

medications that you take on a regular basis, take them with you in

the original bottles to Tijuana so you can discuss with the doctor when to restart them. Please note¦. Only the Tijuana location offers complimentary broth and popsicles. Please pack your own bullion cubes or broth packets if you are traveling to the other locations.