Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss: worth it? Starting to feel discouraged...

On 2017-03-25 at 5:57 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I'm 5'5 and some change, almost 5 foot 6. I am around (keep bouncing) 190 ish and wear a 10 sometimes an 8, I'm dead in between sizes. At 130 I would be shopping in the kids dept or dead.

Yep, that is why doctors don't target weights so low. It would put me at 120. At 140 my collar bone sticks out and I get skinny arms. Can't imagine how emaciated I would look at 120

I'm five feet two I started at 272 and am now 172-175. While I'm still largish. Size 16 Bmi is 31. I am satisfied with weight lost and have maintained it for almost two years. Surgery will be three years in July.

On 10/15/2014 at 4:11 AM, Kindle said:

The only thing that limits you to only losing 60% of your excess weight is you. I've lost over 100% and am maintaining easily. I eat whatever I want whenever I'm hungry....protein first, then veggies, fruit and whole grains. But I also eat ice cream, desert, bread, alcohol, cake, etc.... just everything in moderation. I do not excercise and I've never tracked or counted or measured my food. I didn't have surgery just to be on a diet the rest of my life. I do make sure I drink at least 64oz of Fluid and I do take my Vitamins (but I've always taken Vitamins, so this is no change)

Other than making much healthier food choices, my life isn't a whole lot different than preop. Unless you count Having a normal BMI, shopping in regular stores for clothes, not being in pain everyday, spending a lot less money on groceries, and being able to hike, climb stairs, etc without getting out of breath, Perhaps I am an anomaly, but I just wanted to let you know that there is more than one way to be successful and postop life does not have to be all that complicated.

How long did it take you to lose all the weight? I'm 8 months postopand only down 50. I've hit a stall. Any tips? Thanks

I hit so many stalls along the way and was convinced EVERY time that that was all I would lose. I'm at almost 10 months and have lost all I want to lose. I passed my lowest goal - 145 and I'm at 143 now. Now my goal is to up my calories in a healthy way. I have always been weight-loss resistant so this is huge for me!

For me, it's follow the "rules". All day, every day. It's what we do over the long haul that will make the difference.
I'm human, I slip up once in a while. I'm human, so I decide to "go off the rails" (read eat what I know I shouldn't, and too much of it). However, I don't let that get out of hand. It's usually not more than for a meal, and never more than a day. I can do a lot of damage in a short time. And probably the number one thing for me is to be honest with myself. I track every bite, even when I'm off the rails. I log it all, and face it. Usually that's enough to reign me in. A key ingredient to my success has been to look at the big picture, and just keep on doing what we know we need to do, day in, day out. It's why I always failed before - I couldn't sustain the change.
One other thing I forgot to mention earlier - I do take ibuprofen every day, and have since I was about 2 months post op. That was one of the primary reasons I chose this surgery. My doc says RNY patients are predisposed to ulcers, but sleeve patients are not. It's one reason I chose the sleeve. I do know there are differing thoughts about that, but I also know that many sleeve patients take NSAIDS without difficulty.

My doc won't let me take NSaids .. I have nothing for my hip that needs replaced .. 3 months post op sleeve .. haven't lost any weight for a month but constant pain

How long did it take you to lose all the weight? I'm 8 months postopand only down 50. I've hit a stall. Any tips? Thanks

How much do you weigh ? And what do you eat per day ? Your weightloss is great. Some lose faster depending on size. I srarted off 244 now 186lbs so almost 60lbs in 4 months. I'm sure it would have been more if I tracked all the time. But my team don't require me to. I don't exersise. Some may lose slower on the scale when building muscle.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

No the doctors usually use a formula. I've heard it is 100lbs for a woman at 5' tall, then you add 5lbs for every inch. So at 5'6 they would use 130lbs. Take your current weight, subtract 130 and the calculate 60%of that to be your weight loss estimate

That's not how all doctor's do it.
Excess weight for me was calculated by what weight I'd be at 24 Bmi . Subtract my current surgery day weight. Then 70percent of that.

That's not how all doctor's do it.
Excess weight for me was calculated by what weight I'd be at 24 Bmi . Subtract my current surgery day weight. Then 70percent of that.

So 135lbs is my goal weight.

I have had a great results with weight loss.... Well over the percentages they gave me which was about 80 pounds .... I have lost well over that.... I weigh my food eat a lot of meat... it can get boring eating the same foods but my health the way I feel is worth it... I walk daily something I couldn't even do before my surgery... back pain hip pain knee pain is so much less now...

May I ask your daily eating. Weldone for your success !