Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Homestretch to 1st year VSG anniversary: Must focus!

Greetings. What a stormy day here today! A tornado touched down 2 miles from my home, but all is well here, thank God. Anyway...

Dec. 4th will be my 1st year anniversary/surgiversary. YEAH!!!! Having the VSG has been the BEST thing I've done for myself physically and for sure, psychologically.

Send good vibes this way, please. Vets, any suggestions? Also, any others approaching your 1st anniversary? How are you feeling about everything? My path has been...

POST-OP: My VSG path has been great. I had no complications during, or after, surgery. The worst part was 1) the drain x 1 week. I almost pulled it out myself by day 3 or 4. But I knew it was important, so I dealt with it; and 2) not being able to drink/guzzle Water at first. That annoyed me to the hilt, but the swelling had to go down, etc., and now I can drink a few good ounces at a time; then a few minutes more, more ounces. So that's all good.

food: I can eat what I want; I just can't have much of it; and mostly I abide by a hi-Protein agenda.

TRACKING: I don't count carbs/calories, etc. Never did with this. [just being honest]

STATS: [oh... I'm 5'5"; now 59 y.o. was wearing a size 22/2X; now wearing a 12-14/Medium (maybe a large to give the boobs some room)]

Overall: my highest weight: 271.2 in early 2013.

Surgical weight: 257.2 [Dec. 4, 2013].

Today, I am 184. [10 months post-op]

Mind you, I could weigh less, but I am not an exerciser. Also, I had ~ 3 months of carbohydrate sins, with potato chips and ice cream. I do have a Lay's potato chip thing...still. But only a few when I do eat them. I'm trying to not buy them.]

SO, NET WEIGHT LOSS:

from my maximum weight of 271.2:... 87.2 pounds;

since surgery Dec. 4, 2013:.................. 73.2 pounds.

Humbly-submitted (but I think you'll understand, and allow me to say)... I am looking damn good, confident, smiling, making eye contact; don't mind having my picture taken with folks. I am free!

I've always been able to meet my goals, but the weight battle had been my nemesis for years!! I felt so defeated and, despite all else, I felt I was a failure. I am so glad I did the VSG, so I must finish this leg of the journey; bring it on home!

As I approach my 1-year 'surgiversary' [i have a special name for that day which I'll share later], I want to make it to 170. I KNOW I can do it--lose just 14 pounds--IF I get back to a strong regimen of Protein and lay off the carbs--all of them. Oh, and finally get serious about regular exercise.

My initial goal was 150 lbs., but I think my face will be too thin. 15-20 lbs. less than now will be good for me, I think. My goal is really a solid size 10-12.

Not that the jounrey is over, but any suggestions for the 1 year homestretch?

Edited by Dr-Patient

Hi, just found your post and so enjoyed reading about your journey. So how are you doing? Would love to have an update. I'm still new in the process, so don't have much to impart to the ones who have gone before me.

I think you should keep your goal of 150 as the focus for the next year. 20-30 lbs seems very realistic and attainable for your next 12 months post-op. Like you, I felt amazing before I hit goal but I must say working to get the last 10-15 lbs off actually made a fairly significant difference. I did lose volume in my face but it was nothing a little needle full of Restalyne couldn't fix. Congratulations on your surgiversary.

@@Dr-Patient - I am definitely sending good vibes your way. I know you can reach your goal weight whether it be 170 or 150...I am right there with you on the Lays potato chips thing as the lightly salted ones are my downfall. However, I just don't bring them in my house which seems to have solved the problem. Soooo you already know that you have to increase Protein and exercise and decrease those carbs (lol) and you will reach your goal in no time...Good Luck :D :D

@@missbrown30 Thank you so much for sending strength and good vibes my way. Three pounds down this week; trying to stay focused for this 1-year homestretch.

But, dang, those Lay's!! Lawd Help! Didn't buy any this week.

@@finediva Thank you! I need to start posting more. I want to at least get to 180 before I do. 3.5 pounds before that. Then the 170's!!! Almost!

@@erp Your suggestion makes great sense. Thank you.

I'm the one putting that pressure on me to reach a certain weight by my 1st surgiversary, but to have lost almost 80 pounds, without really exercising, not counting, etc...? With the help of this wonderful VSG, I'm doing well.

Thank you for your advice.