Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Money out of pocket day of procedure

Yesterday I was called by the suergon office and they informed me that I need to pay 640.00 before my procedure to the doctor. Addiction to that I may need to pay the hopsital. Did anyone had to pay a large amount of money before your procedure? I wasn't expecting to lay anything before the procedure just after. I have Blue Cross Blue shield. Any information will be appreciated.

I also have blue cross blue shield, and my deductable is $2,000.00 which I am sure I will have to pay upon surgery..if the hospital wants anymore than that...I will have to ask them to bill me, hopefully they will (who knows now-a-days)..I have struggled to save that much...but knew it was coming.

I don't have to pay anything up front. My deductible is 4,500 dollars. The hospital is going to bill me for that. I do have Preferred One though.

I too have BCBS and it's about $4,500. Of that amount $1,000 due at the hospital before surgery and I forget the doctor but it's less then that maybe $600. The rest will be billed later

I wasn't expecting anything but I hope the hospital bills me later. My out of pocket is $1500 with I have already paid 700 so it shouldn't be more then than 800 all together I hope.

Oh my gosh...this thread is terrifying me. I've got BCBS but no one has said anything about money upfront - if they ask when I get there, I'm going to pass out.

Oh my gosh...this thread is terrifying me. I've got BCBS but no one has said anything about money upfront - if they ask when I get there, I'm going to pass out.

Yeah no one told me anything about it. I'm actually freaking out myself. Hopefully it's not as bad as we think. Your doctor should tell you when they submit to insurance.

I had BCBS Regents. I did not have those high deductibles so I guess every plan is different. I paid $30 for each dr visit copy when preparing for the surgery. My actual surgery I had to pay about $600, some for the surgeon and the rest was for the hospital. It is very important to understand that out of pocket is different then deductible. And it is important to understand that contracts with each hospital and surgeon is very individual and specific to their agreement. If in doubt what you will pay contact your ins company and give them your surgeon and hospital names. They will tell you in more detail what your costs will be.

I have BCBS Federal and after my deb has been met (which it has) they pay 85% leaving my co-insurance15% just like any doctor visit. That 15% equals aprox $750 left for me to cover. My surgeon's office wants that money upfront paid in full before surgery. Also, my copay for the hospital is $250 which the hospital will bill me for. It's not uncommon for surgeon's officers to request payment of your co-insurance up front.

I have BCBS Federal and after my deb has been met (which it has) they pay 85% leaving my co-insurance15% just like any doctor visit. That 15% equals aprox $750 left for me to cover. My surgeon's office wants that money upfront paid in full before surgery. Also, my copay for the hospital is $250 which the hospital will bill me for. It's not uncommon for surgeon's officers to request payment of your co-insurance up front.

It makes me feel so much better when you say that the hopsital bills you for the 250. I was told that I need to Pat 50% since my insurance only cover that portion but my out of pocket is 1500 so I'm just waiting. Did you insurance say they cover 85% of it. That's actually great

I have Blue cross and they have not mentioned anything about upfront money. I'm hoping they will bill me cuz I don't know what I will do if they ask me to pay now.

I have Blue cross and they have not mentioned anything about upfront money. I'm hoping they will bill me cuz I don't know what I will do if they ask me to pay now.

For me it was a miss understanding. All we need 2 worry about is the out of pocket amount.

I haven't been told anything either. I'm assuming I would be since they were pretty upfront about the fact that I would have to pay in cash for the psych evaluation. I pay 10% but 10% of what they won't really know until after surgery since they may or may not do a hernia repair at the same time. Also depending on who bills first the surgeon or the hospital one will be fully covered since I only have a certain amount to go before maxing out my copay max. I have no deductible.

I used the same surgical group and hospital for my gallbladder surgery and no one asked me for anything up front then. So I can't see how this would be different. I have Blue Shield of CA

I hope they don't require me to pay anything either, because I have NO money right now!!

I have Anthem Blue Cross, and they have told me nothing. A woman at my work, who had the surgery at the same place, looked it up for me and it said my sleeve was covered 100%, along with the assistant surgeon's fee. Who knows! I'll cry if they tell me I have to pay something on Friday.

I was approved last week and had assumed that because I have more than met my copay and deductible I am covered at 100%. The Hospital called for pre-registration for Monday's surgery. THe woman informed me that I had a 1000.00 copay for hospital. WTF.....Fortunately I have an emergency credit card. I am out of pocket 7500.00 (8500 with this mess) I called BCBS and they said I do not owe the 1000.00 so they called the hospital. The hospital insists that I do. My plan says that the 1000.00 hospital stay deductible counts toward my max out of pocket for the year. Any advice would be appreciated.