Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone ever wake up thirsty post op

Im 6 months post and on occasion will wake up so thirsty that i have to run to get a drink of Water. Does anyone else have that happen? I was in and out of the hospital after surgery for dehydration but i know im drinking a lot now, at least i think i am

OMG Yes! It happens almost everynight for me - it's like there is paste in my mouth.

Yeah, I wake up with a very dry mouth most mornings. I think even though I'm getting the recommended 64 ounces of Fluid in, it's still not much compared to what I used to drink in a day, which was probably close to 200 ounces. I was literally never without a drink in my hand. Now with the not being able to drink for 30-45 minutes after meals and Snacks, it's a little harder to get that much. I've started keeping a glass of Water on my bedside table and sipping it when I get up to pee, or if I just find myself awake. It's helped a little, I'm nowhere near as dry now in the mornings as I was in the summer.

Oh, also there's a lot of Water content in some foods, so eating less in general could also be contributing to dehydration.

YUP me too.... even in the middle of the night I have to drink Water, feel like cotton in my mouth. Thanks for posting this questions, I had wondered the same thing.

I am always thirsty when I wake up in the night - I usually have to visit the bathroom at least twice. Sometimes I clean my teeth again in the night because my mouth is so dry and feels furred up. I also keep a bottle of Water at the side of the bed and sip from that whenever I wake up.

Yeppers. I go to bed with my hospital mug full every night. I get up at night drinking and i do the same first thing in the morning.

Yes, particularly early on, but even now after 9 mos.

Lord knows I wish I had this issue. I am never ever thirsty and struggle to drink the required amount of water/fliuds. Most days I come close, but that means I'm still drinking at 10pm. If I force myself and drink too much at one time, I get heart burn.

This may seem like an odd question.. After being sleeved for a while can you drink Water faster? I've been noticing when I drink Water that I'm a "chugger". I'm not sleeved yet and I'm scared I'll forget and hurt myself.

Thanks in advance!

Sheena :-)

Yes!! I keep Water on my nightstand and drink some every time I wake up.

I was sleeved 101514 and wake up every night about 2 am thirsty and hungry. But if I drink 2 ounces of something then I'm fine.

Not odd at all. I was a chugger too. But it will hurt in the beginning if you do not sip. At two months out, I still sip but just more often. It's way easier to get 64 ounces in paper day now. Like others stated, I keep Water by my bed at night. You can play catch up that way, lol.

Horton, I am the same. When I wake up in the morning, I drink the rest of my Water. That stomach will have you downstairs eating at 2 am, lol.

I'm in for a rude of wakening, not sleeved yet but I can have 2 cups of Decaf coffee in the morning...and go ALL day without anything to drink...I have always been like that..perhaps that is why I am ALWAYS dehydrated which is really not good for you..but I'm not thirsty....I am praying post-op I can find something that will MAKE me thirsty.

I keep a bottle of Water on my night stand now...due to acid reflux..when my Nexium doesn't work I wake up an take a sip of Water and I am fine for about an hour or so..till i turn over and need another sip to cool my esophagus off.