Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having the gastric sleeve on Monday October 13th. I'm only 27 and my local support group seems to have older people in it...just would be great to hear from people 5-10years post op. Or anyone have any details on stories they've seen , please let me know :)

You won't find many people with sleeves 5+ years out, because they only started doing them as stand-alone procedures about 6 years ago. What kind of information are you specifically looking for?

Just how life is down the road. I guess that is what scares me the most is that I'm 27 and have a long life ahead of me and don't have many examples to look at. How about the bypass....how are people 10-20 years down the road....?

Hi Brian! I am 24 and getting the surgery on October 14th! I had the same exact fears as you so I did a lot of research. Partial gastrectomies have been performed for many decades prior to the introduction of the "sleeve gastrectomy" as a weight loss technique (also it began as the first part to gastric bypass I believe). Many people have to get part of their stomach removed due to ulcers, stomach cancer, etc.

This thread gave me solace: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/212148-this-is-why-i-trust-the-sleeve-long-story/?hl=%2Bgrandpa+%2Byears+%2Bold

I found some other great stories of people who had partial gastrectomies living into their 80s/90s, so it's not something I'm worried about anymore!

Maybe we can keep in touch and be surgery buddies!

Best of luck :)

I had my surgery 7/30/14 gb I do not regret doing it ibhave lost weight feel better that I have lost weight. I say if your just 27 and your 405 just wait until you have surgery, you will have an evwn longer life ahead. Weight causes so many problems I know we all know. I say go for it you will be fine don't worry just worryvabout the clothes you will need afterwards.

Thanks! Great read and stories! Cmon October 13th!

I am much older than (45 year old) and 10 months out from surgery...

First, I wish I would have had the courage to do what you're doing at your age. It would have saved me decades of being unhappy, years of self loathing, being insecure, years of damage to my body due to obesity, etc. Had I known then what I know now, I would have done this surgery sooner.

Second, it's completely normal to be nervous/scared/insert emotion here this close to surgery. I was. But again, knowing what I know now, this is totally worth it.

I almost backed out of surgery the night before and the morning of, right there in admitting. Fear didn't win that day and I'm thankful it didn't.

At 10 months out and 45 years old I am finally living the life I was meant to lead. I'm active, I'm happy, I'm learning to be content, I have a better relationship with my family...wow, I could go on for a long time, but you get the point. My life is so much better now than it was a year ago.

You got this! We'll see you on the losers' bench in a few days! Best of luck to you!

(also it began as the first part to gastric bypass I believe)

Actually, VSG originated as the first half of duodenal switch, which is somewhat similar to gastric bypass in that it is a malabsorption procedure that does bypass a significant portion of the small intestine.