Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think I need a fill? Can you eat rice?

Hi! I just need some words of advice.

I have had 2 fills since my surgery (that was on March 10, 2014) and my band has 5.5cc's in it. I can't tolerate bread or Pasta. But lately I feel I can eat more.. Tonight for dinner I ordered take out (Thai food) and I had 3 cups (maybe a little less) of Pad Gra Praw with chicken (it's like a vegetable stir fry in a spicy basil sauce) and 1 cup of white rice. I'm not sick, I didn't get stuck but I am satisfied. I had a granola bar for Breakfast, 12oz of chili and a cheddar cheese steak for lunch and 1 cup of salad with a hard boiled egg for a snack... Plus my waters.... totaling 1,290 calories for the day (I'm "still under" according to myfitnesspal.) Do you think I should get a fill? I mean 3 cups of stir fry (I think it was less then 3 but it's hard to fit in the serving cup because the veggies are cut weird)... And 1 cup of rice... Can you eat rice?! I haven't really tried eating rice yet.

So far I have been successful, I'm down 63 pounds and I'm averaging a 1.5-2lb weight loss a week.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You were banded the same week that I was. I love Thai food, but I don't lose when I eat it. I don't think we are supposed to be able to eat 4 cups of food, however. Why don't you talk to your team and find out what they think? You say you're still losing, which is good.my problem my whole life has been volume. Part of what I strive for with the proper fill level is satiety on less volume. I also aim for more Protein and less carbs. That's part of the reason I can't handle the Thai food, and tend to stay away from the rice. Just my experience. Good luck to you and continued success.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far ! Sounds like you're doing great ! As far as volume, I couldn't eat 3 cups of anything if tried ! 3 cups at 1 sitting is a bit much I think, but you should check with your Dr. As far as rice ? Depends on what kind. White rice =-3 bites. Uncle Bens brown rice in a box , 3 -4 bites, but Uncle Bens brown rice in a microwave bag ? Can't even get 1 bite down, it mucks up on me. So , for me, I guess it depends on what kind of rice, same with bread, depends on type and brand etc. Good luck !

I might be able to eat 4 cups of something if it was incredibly tasty but I'd be very uncomfortable.

Each of us have different tolerances to specific foods. Maybe for you, stir fry(very greasy/slippery) is a slider food and just slips through the band and into your lower stomach where it's still there(untouched and intact) waiting for you to stretch it out with mass quantities of food?

And yes, I can eat rice just fine as long as I follow the eating rules.

Rice for me was one of the the first thing to go....I love Thai and Chinese food, but I have to take one or two spoons of rice and mix it in as though it was not even there....

I bring home take out, and pick through it for the things I want to eat...and throw the rest away...1/2 of it....and then I can't finish that.

Also, in my case only, one of the most liberating thing for me, about 6 months in, was to stop counting calories and get rid of things like Myfitness Pal....and rely on the band to do it's job....My last fill was at the 4 month mark.

I don't think the band is suppose to stop us from eating anything, or any amount of food. That is up to us. The band is to help us not get hungry between meals, and to stop us from snacking. We can still eat all through the day even if we are not hungry, small amounts of course. Those are habits we need to work on ourselves. If I eat something that does not agree with my band, I usually won't try it again.

Hi there! My surgeon describes being satisfied on a tennis-ball sized portion (his lingo) for 4-5 hours. I'd have one but not the other -- like I'd get full on that portion but then I was hungry again too soon. We kept going until I had both. I think surgeon's vary on protocol and of course we are all different as patients. On rice, that's something I don't eat. Once in a while I have a little gluten-free Pasta -- and I mean a little -- but otherwise I don't do breads, Pasta or rice. Rice in particular would worry me because of the stickiness factor. My reason, though, is the carb factor -- I really need Protein so I go for that.

Also on grazing -- it helps me to count off those 4-5 hours before I should be looking for food again because otherwise out of habit I can start looking around and feeding myself even though I'm not hungry or in need of food. Once a grazer......hard to break that one but I'm getting there!

Edited by Bandista

There isn't anything that I cannot eat since surgery. Believe me.....I wish there was! Depending on my mood, I can eat right past the signal to the point of discomfort. I don't do that on a regular basis, but it can be done. 4 cups of food sounds like a lot; way more than what's usual with the band. I would definitely talk with your surgical team. It's possible that you may need a small fill. I went for a fill yesterday, and had a long talk with the nurse about my recent eating. Though the GI swallow showed that I do need more Fluid, her comment to me was "just because you CAN eat more, does that mean that you should?"

I know that everyone is different in their eating plan, but something that jumped out is the granola bar for Breakfast. Those are pure sugar and carbs. I'm wondering.....if you start the day with pure protein; eggs, turkey, tuna salad.....something other than carbs & sugar, if it would set you up better for the day? If I so much as add a slice of toast with my egg, I'm hungry within 2 hours instead of 4. Carbs in the morning make me crave carbs all day long. Just a thought.....

Edited by mrsto

so agree with MRSTO. If i have carbs early in the day then i crave them all day. I start off with one egg in the morning about 6am and im pretty good till lunch.

I'm one of the rare ones that rice agrees with. No Pasta. Never agrees with me. bread is rare. Toasted maybe once a month. Everyone is so different in their band and habits. It seems like some is trial and lots of errors! After lots of years I am fairly clear on what works with my antique band (2006).

The best part I think is that weight does not come back!!! Heaven to not obsess about food calories... I think exercise and Protein and Water seem to be the most common stories I see on here.

Good luck. It works if you do!

I was banded 8/6/14 I'm going for my 3rd fill 11/20/14, I haven't had much restriction and for the most part I just waiting for the band to the magic ( I know it doesn't work like) but I wonder when will I feel at least a bit of the restriction I read many have. I have the 10 cc band and its fill to 3.5 cc I believe, anyway any one from Miami Florida that wants to mentor me (more like hammer in my head how I should eat :) ) ....good luck everyone

@@Sylar for some of us it takes several fills to reach the green zone. Looking back, I needed that time in between fills to learn how to slow down, etc. I was a speed-eater. And a volume eater! So those two things were really hard for me to keep in check. Now a year later it comes naturally most of the time. If I try to push it my band lets me know right away. Just know that you are getting there and you're doing great. Keep all your appointments. Whether or not you decide with your surgeon that a fill is necessary, that dialogue is really important. We all kind of mentor one another here -- for example you just helped me as responding to a post gives me a chance to ask myself questions, remember what's important, etc. So glad you're here!

Thank you for replying I guess I have to work in patience lol, good luck to and my best wishes

Slyer

I'm a South Floridian bandster as well. My surgery was in April. I lost 40lbs in my first 4 months and nothing since. I was very frustrated but when I went to my doc last week to have a fill (finally) he found that my band was empty! The 3.5cc that was there was gone! Now I feel great! I'm so glad he does all his fills by fluoro or I wouldn't have known! I've already lost 5lbs since!