Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Positive Outcome........So Far

I read so many posts and blogs about Weightloss surgery before I had my own(09/30/14). Reading these post scared the HELL out of me. First the dreaded pain, sagging skin,hair loss,&this or that made me run for the hills. I'm here to tell those who will come after me, after my surgery I asked my dr why didn't he do my surgery? He laughed and said you had the surgery. The next day I had a pain level of 6 and that was my worst. I walked the same day if my surgery. I was able to eat my broths on the third day and now it's my fourth day I ate almost a whole can of cream of chicken broth. I have no pain and although I haven't lost weight (I don't think) I am one to say that every experience is different but my experience has been painless and I'm ready to workout. Maybe ill be cleared by my surgeon by next Friday. God bless and overlook those who may dramatize their surgery stories and surgery outcomes. We all had great surgeons and depending on age, weight,& health overall is how your story will turnout.

thanks, im having surgery Monday feels like your talking to me lol ;)

To the OP:

Like you, I had a perfect surgery and an easy recovery. And I wondered why (and was thrilled that) I was luckier than some others.

However, I have come to believe and trust that the vast majority of those who complain bitterly online about the pain, discomfort and discouragement they feel immediately post-op are not dramatizing anything.

You know why I think that now? Because I've watched a lot of people who complained loudly for weeks post-op just suddenly one day go, "OMG! I'm not in pain anymore. I feel good. I can eat and swallow. What in the world just happened? I'm heading to the gym!"

If they're not dramatizing about suddenly turning a corner and feeling great, then chances are they weren't dramatizing about feeling like crap right after surgery.

And I haven't seen any patterns with regard to age / weight / general health and early response to surgery. (FTR, I'm 68.)

Just sayin'.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

You may be right but for those who did their research on these types of forums and only 1% of the posts are positive it makes you wonder why so many are still torturing themselves and and why should I? Well this is why because some of us handle pain differently and I know you can't want to reverse you procedure. On Saturday and feel up to a marathon on Wednesday Pain doesn't work like that it subsides sometimes slowly sand sometimes quickly but if you were a 10 on Saturday you're probably a 6-7 on Wednesday. That's why I say some of the outcomes might be a little dramatized. For those who were sick I feel for you but this is my experience and I stand by it

I am happy for you that your surgery and recovery have been without drama. As one who complained bitterly immediately post-op, I can tell you that your theory regarding pain/discomfort levels, and the rate of recovery did not hold true for me. I was absolutely miserable (with nausea, not pain) one day and ready to dance the next. It was like the sun came out after a storm. From what my surgeon told me, I understand that my experience is quite common.

I am happy for you that your surgery and recovery have been without drama. As one who complained bitterly immediately post-op, I can tell you that your theory regarding pain/discomfort levels, and the rate of recovery did not hold true for me. I was absolutely miserable (with nausea, not pain) one day and ready to dance the next. It was like the sun came out after a storm. From what my surgeon told me, I understand that my experience is quite common.

I don't want to minimize anyone's pain experience. I wrote this post to simply say that every one don't have a hellish experience after surgery and for those who are nervous with anticipation the more relaxed you are the better the outcome. I hope my story helps one or many feel relaxed and that's the place where I'm coming from. For those who suffered tremendously maybe this post isn't for you because I can only speak about my experience. This post really wasn't for a debate about pain levels it was simply a post for people like me who did read the blogs and cringe. I here saying I am one person who had to ask did I even have the surgery because my surgery was pleasant (dare I say it).

It's great that you let everyone know that the post-op experience is not horrible for everyone. In fact, I'll bet you are right and most people will say it wasn't that bad.

For the people who might have been turned off by the negative posts by people like me, I hope they stuck around long enough to read the "walking on sunshine" posts that I, and many others posted after a few weeks.

I did stick around and now I'm walking with you. I was scared because I had no bad experience. I was expecting it I called everyone I know who had the surgery and they just simply stated that I'm blessed and enjoy the ride. So I guess no I know that I was trying to be a beacon of hope and I got a reply stating that I eased someone's mind who will have their surgery Monday so I'm always going to view the positive and heighten it. God bless you all and may you have a painless and speedy recovery. :-)

I just had my sleeve on the 29th, this past Monday. For the most part it was great. I am very optimistic and usually side on the glass half full. One small complication in post-op was my asthma related difficulty breathing. It wasn't something I addressed initially with my surgeon and it wasn't something I had read about in the Forums or blogs. I guess you take what comes. It gave me trouble for about 2 days clearing my lungs and coughing, but I am on the other side of it now. My pain after surgery was very minimal felt like I had done 5,000 sit-ups. I stopped pain meds. the day after surgery. Even through a cough I managed. I think your state of mind has a lot to do with how well, or complicated you are able to manage. I am so excited from the time I made up my mind to have the surgery even until now I think I'm running on pure adrenalin.

I read so many posts and blogs about Weightloss surgery before I had my own(09/30/14). Reading these post scared the HELL out of me. First the dreaded pain, sagging skin,hair loss,&this or that made me run for the hills. I'm here to tell those who will come after me, after my surgery I asked my dr why didn't he do my surgery? He laughed and said you had the surgery. The next day I had a pain level of 6 and that was my worst. I walked the same day if my surgery. I was able to eat my broths on the third day and now it's my fourth day I ate almost a whole can of cream of chicken broth. I have no pain and although I haven't lost weight (I don't think) I am one to say that every experience is different but my experience has been painless and I'm ready to workout. Maybe ill be cleared by my surgeon by next Friday. God bless and overlook those who may dramatize their surgery stories and surgery outcomes. We all had great surgeons and depending on age, weight,& health overall is how your story will turnout.

Thanks so much!! My surgery is scheduled for the 20th of October and I was getting real nervous reading all of those stories.

Glad your surgery went well. I have had a double mastectomy along with an expander that was implanted immediately after my mastectomies to expand my chest muscles for re-

Construction. The pain I had from the sleeve was worse. I am not saying I would not do it again. Because it is a very useful tool. The journey is not an easy one for everyone and everyone should be prepared. Not scared just

Prepared. We are all different. I wish everyone could have the kind of recovery that you did. That would be great. But it is good for people researching to know it could go in different directions. That is the benefit of these forums. People have all sorts of questions and 9 times out of 10, there is someone else who has had the same experience. It's great!

Glad your surgery went well. I have had a double mastectomy along with an expander that was implanted immediately after my mastectomies to expand my chest muscles for re-

Construction. The pain I had from the sleeve was worse. I am not saying I would not do it again. Because it is a very useful tool. The journey is not an easy one for everyone and everyone should be prepared. Not scared just

Prepared. We are all different. I wish everyone could have the kind of recovery that you did. That would be great. But it is good for people researching to know it could go in different directions. That is the benefit of these forums. People have all sorts of questions and 9 times out of 10, there is someone else who has had the same experience. It's great!

I'm so sorry for your experience but I do not agree that some people may need to be scared "straight " in order to experience what surgery is like. I have not had your type of surgeries (mastectomy) but I clearly stated that recovery is based on age , health, and weight. I feel that there are people pissed that I enjoyed my experience. Wow what's the deal with that!!!!?! I'm not saying after surgery I did a 5 k but I am saying that I Enjoyed My Experience and I didn't have excessive Pain. Im not a victim not fat or skinny nor will I follow the woe is me trend sorry about Your experience but thank God for mine.

Edited by ranece

Thanks so much!! My surgery is scheduled for the 20th of October and I was getting real nervous reading all of those stories.

Thank you for getting what I was trying to bring to this post. Peace of mind!!!!