Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crap I hope surgery can be moved up

I hit a big snag in my surgery plans and I am afraid I may not be able to get surgery at all. I am scheduled for 11/11 for my VSG. My husband carries the insurance for our our family and I also have Medicare as a secondary insurer. There are some changes coming to my husbands employer and we don't know what will happen with his job beginning 11/1. He may or may not have a job which means he may or may not have health insurance for the family. I have emailed my surgeons office to see if there is any way possible to get my surgery scheduled before the end of the month and I am waiting to hear back. I have done everything I need to and have been approved by my insurance. Grr, this really sucks and I am worried I just did all of this for nothing.

Call the doctor's office and speak with the person who coordinates his surgeries. Tell them what you need to do and why. This after all is a business. Good luck!

husband carries insurance for family - Medicare secondary insurance

@@Luvin_Life125

:mellow: :mellow:

confused

i also have medicare - but it is considered my primary insurance

my insurance from work is secondary

3 years ago Medicare did NOT cover the sleeve

but now - i am pretty sure (97%) that the sleeve is approved by medicare

check it out with doc

or call medicare directly

don't give up so soon :blink:

it aint over til its over :unsure:

good luck :)

kathy

I agree! CALL CALL CALL the office. They also lose $$ without doing your surgery. Keep us posted! GOOD LUCK!

I have Medicare coverage due to disability. My husbands group health plan is primary because his company has over 100 employees. Honestly I can't afford what my20% coinsurance would be using Medicare only for the surgery. Both insurances together would leave very little out of pocket expense for me. I can't justify taking that much money out of our savings to cover a larger portion of surgical cost especially when my husband's job is not secure right now. It is just bad timing all the way around right now. I am sincerely hoping my surgeons office can squeeze me in somewhere before the end of the month. I need some positive news right about now.

CALL ASAP. If they see anything on the schedule right now before that date, make sure to ask to be put on a waiting list. Hopefully you can get it done before that date and then Medicare can take care of your post-op follow up appts. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

I just called and left a voice mail for the coordinator and I also sent her an email last night as soon as I found out what was happening at work for my husband. Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted as soon as I hear anything!

Also, COBRA may be an option if everything else doesn't work.....Sounds like you've got options, tho. Keep us posted..

Yep, call EVERYONE, like it's your job!!

Even if he loses his job you should still be covered under Cobra. I would start asking questions of the insurance companies now just to make sure how to keep uninterupted coverage in case of any contingency.

Yet another example of why we need single payer and to get employers out of the health insurance business.

Ok , I am still waiting to hear back from the surgeons office. I called human resources to get the details of when our coverage would end (last day of employment ) and an approximation of the CObra premiums (over $1100 per month). I will keep working to find a way to get this done and appreciate all of the ideas! Please toss out ideas and suggestions as you have them. I will try almost anything once.

I believe that you will get an answer soon. Just keep calling until they can tell you something. They are not really doing you a favor. You are your best advocate. Let us know what happens!

Ok , I am still waiting to hear back from the surgeons office. I called human resources to get the details of when our coverage would end (last day of employment ) and an approximation of the CObra premiums (over $1100 per month). I will keep working to find a way to get this done and appreciate all of the ideas! Please toss out ideas and suggestions as you have them. I will try almost anything once.

Yes, most people don't realize how expensive COBRA is. Most families cannot afford it. I wish you all the best with this process. I know how it feels to be mentally psyched and ready to do something this big, and then have it derailed. But stay positive and keep your head up.

Even at 1100, it seems like one month of Cobra would be all you need to get your procedure done. Depending on all the other variables it could be worth it.

I just got an email from the surgical coordinator and she is out of the office this week on vacation. She said she will look next week when she gets back to work and we will go from there. I hope this works out somehow. My biggest hope is my husband keeps his job and life continues in the current flow. I will dream big while I am dreaming!