Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 6 weeks post surgery and im on a fully normal diet (with the exception of lettus) and I'm having serious issues with hunger. I can admit that about 20% of it is head hunger (ie that looks good, or I should be eating more etc..), but the main part is REALLY hunger. At the suggestion of others I added tums to my diet (didn't work) and increased my Water intake (was great WHILE I'm drinking, but the moment I put the cup down the hunger pangs come back).

I know it's more than head hunger or reflux because when I ignore it I end up dizzy, lightheaded, shaky, and desperate. This is a very dangerous place for me because I grab for the easiest/fastest cure. Usually chocolate as the sugar quickly raises my lvl. I want to avoid this as I know that is a bad idea. Soo any ideas on how to solve this? I've tried keeping Snacks like cheese on hand but the hunger starts every 1 - 2 hrs and if I eat something that often the calories will really add up.

Oh I'm NOT diabetic. My sugar level has always been perfect. I do question if I'm hypoglycemic tho. I used to eat ALOT of sugar and at every blood test it's been normal. The solution is snacking but again I'm trying to avoid that. I'm a chronic grazer and I want to avoid habits that got me fat in the first place. Anyone deal with this? Any suggestions?

I'm on soft foods now. I find I get fuller faster and hungrier sooner. Things that are helping are drinking part of a Protein Shake or I go through a lot of string cheese. Occasionally I'll have the whites of a hard boiled egg. Was reading that some people just become those who have to eat every two hours. Oh and a spoon of PB does wonders. Just saw my doc and everything is going great, so what I'm doing is allowing me to still be successful. Good luck!!!

Try drinking high Protein Drinks that are low in calorie and carbs. I drink chocholate premier 30gr Protein. Protein seems to keep you fuller. Usually have one for Breakfast 6am than Beans or chicken around 11am. Another shake around 2pm then dinner when I get home. Need to drink 1/2 of your body weight in Water. Hope this helps.

I was going to say "stick with Protein shakes" too. Mix one big bottle, maybe in a 28 oz. Blender Bottle, then take almost all day to sip at it. That is what my Nut said would help curb hunger...protein and Fiber.

I have found that having adequate fats in my diet are at least as helpful as Protein.

Six weeks out and your eating chocolate? You need to talk to your Nut quickly and figure out what will help you stay full and satisfied. It does sound like you need to substitute activity for your head hunger. Go outside and walk around the block before you eat....if your still hungry eat Protein. Add Snacks if needed but don't fall back into old habits. Not sugar. You have a powerful tool but you need to have the discipline to make it work.

You can do this

I agree with others. It sounds like you need to back up a bit and get back on Protein shakes for a while. It is possible for people who were not diabetic to develop issues with hypoglycemia after bariatric surgery. Google hypoglycemia and WLS. The solution is to up the Protein.< /p>

I would definitely stay away from the chocolate! It's too easy to fall back into bad habits.

Not trying to nag here, but if you're eating sugar (which I assume your chocolates have), that's just setting you up for a sugar up/down whiplash and would activate all kinds of hypoglycemic symptoms, like the ones you described.

Sounds like you need to focus on Protein and good fibrous carbs.

Sorry to be boring.

Not trying to nag here, but if you're eating sugar (which I assume your chocolates have), that's just setting you up for a sugar up/down whiplash and would activate all kinds of hypoglycemic symptoms, like the ones you described.

Sounds like you need to focus on Protein and good fibrous carbs.

Sorry to be boring.

No no, I must have not been clear. In the past that's what I've done and it's what I want to AVOID. I do focus on Protein first as well

I have read the if you aren't getting enough animal Protein, you make stay hungry. I notice that when I do 2 meals of chicken, I stay fuller & don't get as hungry.

I've done some research and think I've figured out a few of the reasons. 1. I think a big factor really is dyspepsia. I found a great article that explains that those low blood sugar feelings (shaky, weak, lightheaded etc) is in fact a result of excess acid production. I don't think the tums were strong enough so I went out and bought 3 different kinds of acid reducers (if one doesn't work I'm gonna try another).

Another article states that you get hungrier when cold, well the new building I work in has a malfunctioning heating system.... it's FREEZING. So I got a heating pad, heating foot stool, and have hot green tea. Also I have hypothyroidism and lately I've noticed my temp has dropped to 95ish so I think I need a med adjustment.

And as I've lost weight my period has increased (like a few days every week to 2 weeks). Ive always been very hungry during that time. Not sure what to do about that.

I will try adding in Protein Shakes and more Water as well. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I think you need to make sure you are getting some kind of Protein every couple of hours. I have to at one month out or I also get weak and feel bad. You may just be that way and it may be how you eat from now on. I know chocolate is a quick fix but please don't eat sugar. That lift is very short lived and so bad for you. Can you substitute a small Protein Bar instead?

@@JCP I think your right. It just feels so much like grazing all day. Not to mention if i eat every few hours the calories add up.

Oh the snacks/meals i choose arent bad. (i made it sound like i grab chocolate first but that was what I did in the past, not post sleeve). Now I grab cheese, Peanut Butter, chicken, nuts etc..

Im just so affraid if i have so many Snacks i wont lose, or am ruining this honeymoon period. Did you still loose alot when you had to eat every few hours?