Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sooooo nervous...

Hello All!

I am a newbie here :) I just came on here to talk about this whole journey and vent alittle. Sometimes I feel really alone and that not many people understand all the emotions I am feeling. I am currently going through the process of getting approved for the gastric sleeve surgery and today I found out that all of my weight history documentation was sent to the doctor office I am getting my surgery through. Even though my packet hasn't been sent for approval; it is still a relief that portion is complete. It was crazy how hard it was to get my own information sent out and making sure that the different offices had sent it. I have my consultation on Monday, Oct.6th and then after that they will send my packet of to insurance. I am so nervous about getting the approval!! Eventhough I meet all the critera, I just have this constant fear that something is going to jack the whole thing up.. smh! Then I am nervous about the whole actually having the surgery and the post-op experience. I just feel a little overwhelmed and I havent even gotten to the hard part! Is that normal or am I totally being psycho lol...

Everyone on this board has gone through most of what you are going through right now. I was sleeved on Sept. 10. I was also perplexed at the number of hoops that the insurance people make you jump through. My doctor's office made it as easy for me as possible. The faxes went flying from every doctor to every doctor! Somehow I managed. I was at a point where I knew my health required a vertical sleeve. I resolved that I would get all my ducks in a row, so to speak, and if the insurance people did not approve of my surgery, I was going to get the surgery anyway and pay for it myself. I was desperate.

I also had second thoughts! YES! I was lying there one night after all of my approvals came through, with an operation date settled, and suddenly I felt that I was being taken on a rollercoaster ride. I was strapped into my "seat" and felt as if everything was set in motion and ready to go. A bit scarey. But then I thought of my hypertension, my sleep apnea, my cholesterol and my poor old knees (which I never want to replace) and kept focused on regaining my health. I have a closet full of clothes that I want to wear again. I want to be treated like a human being instead of a tub of lard.

My operation went well. I explained to my anesthesiologist that I get nauseated by all anesthesia, and he put some anti-nausea meds into my I.V. Result: No nausea. No gas bubbles. Some pain. Got over that in three or four days. Husband was and remains supportive.

Also: Just to make things a tad more miserable - I broke a tooth a week before surgery. I did not change the date. Surgeon agreed. I was able to withstand the tooth pain (minor) and accompanying headache. I had the tooth removed on the 25th of September. I have been taking pain meds and they caused me an epic experience in Constipation. Drink water!

BUT, it has all been worth it. Stuff happens. Doubts arise. But keep your mind focused on the prize - a new life - a new you. You will become your own hero. Everyone here knows what you are going through. Good luck and hang in there!

Seashelles.....

Take a BIG breath first.....You have yourself burried in worry before you get started....Just breathe first....Deffinately agree with Cococat....We here have all been where you are and guess what, we are all here for each other....So when ya need us just holla....If your covered by your Insurance then you are 3/4's the way there....(lucky, I had to pay cash!).....Just don't take NO for an answer it's your health not some pencil pusher sittin at a desk...But right now that parts outta your hands, start getting your cupboards and frig preparred for your post-op phase.....I was nervous up to the knockin me out part and 4months later I'm still nervous....I know my job is to get 60-100grams of Protein a day, and what happens if I don't and all the BS that goes with post op....I give it a year before my nerves are settled a bit....So you are not alone there either....This is a HUGE life change if we weren't nervous about anything else that would do it.....You along with all of us have a great journey ahead of us, and it's life so nothin goes perfect but give yourself the chance to see how well you handle the obstacles if you have any....

Ask questions both of your doctor and all of us, cuz you know we will be honest with you and we are living it....Write stuff down that you want to remember.....

You will be fine, things will go fine with Insurance, prepare for you post-op....My doc suggested starting a journal, you may want to do that....

Hang in there, holla when ya want us....

Good Luck- kim

It is a roller coaster and all I could think about when I was at your point! I am now one month out and learning to adjust. It is a huge change. It's good that you are spending a lot of time thinking and learning about it so you can be as prepared as possible. Just know that the anxiety is normal. If would think only the uninformed would be free of concerns. Just hang on to the handlebars and strap on your seatbelt. It's quite a ride.