Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I healthy enough for surgery?

I love this site! So much love and support its beautiful. So I have decided to get the gastric sleeve after countless attempts to loose weight on my own with no outcome. I understand there is a possibility for complications post op ( leakage, gerd, etc) but im worried my body cant handle the surgery. Horrible to say I have been a smoker for the past 7 years smoking about half a pack a day( I am 23 years old) and im worried about my breathing during the surgery. I also have asthma ( Horrible x2 I know!) On this journey to a new life I have quite smoking but I know damage is already done. Was anyone here a smoker pre- op? Should I be worried about respiratory complications because of my bad habit? I have my first appointment next week so I will also bring this up with provider. Thank you for listening!

Hi Kaylap. I suffer from many different medical issues. I have diabetes, asthma, legally blind,high blood pressure, sickle cell anemia, alpha thalassemia, and end stage kidney disease. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago so i can be placed on the kidney transplant list. I followed everything the drs asked of me. But most of all i prayed! I had no pain after surgery. It was successful. I'm still on a pureed diet and there is food that i no longer care for.....lol but u have to stay positive before, during, and after the surgery. I'm sure u will be okay, sweetie! Be blessed!

Kaylap, talk to your medical providers, and be honest with them about your concerns. Quitting smoking is probably going to be a requirement prior to having surgery. I have asthma as well, and had no issues with the surgery. In fact, I've had less issues with my asthma, and no longer need to use my CPAP for my sleep apnea since having my surgery.

My wife had a harder time recovering from her hernia repair than I did recovering from my surgery.

@@Kaylap

I quit smoking years ago, but those that do smoke are told to quit plenty of time before the surgery. Smoking can inhibit healing of the staple line and any healing in general. You can do it!

It will be difficult at first, but it will happen. I tried multiple times in 2001 and finally quit cold turkey. I finally had enough of smelling like cigarettes and having my lungs feel bad. Once you quit, you will be reversing the damage and getting the sleeve will be a huge stepping stone to health!

I think I gave up smoking and started eating more. I grew up with a family that ate seconds and thirds even, and was part of the clean plate club. I wish you the best.

There is a battery of test that will be a part of the pre op process. These test, including see a cardiologist (at least I had to) and a pulmonary function test, are all in place to see if your body is ready for surgery. Instead of speculating see the surgeon and start the process. Big congratulations on the decision to quit smoking. You are already ahead of the process. Best.

For the program that I went though, they would make you quit smoking and test to make sure before hand. Not all programs are this restrictive, but my particular hospital considers it THAT important. That said, I was not a smoker pre-op, but had uncontrolled breathing problems and had been treated for asthma (unsuccessfully) for 10 years prior. They were concerned enough in pre-anesthesia that they sent me to a pulmonologist who determined after testing and after reviewing the results of my EGD that I didn't have significant asthma, the breathing problems were caused by silent reflux or GERD. I was put on the proper treatment and things improved immediately. So talk to your team. Be honest with them so they can help you have the safest procedure! Oh, and FYI, no more asthma, gerd, (silent or otherwise), normal blood pressure, cholesterol and sugars and I'm unmedicated for the first time in 10 years except for a PPI 2x per day. As far as I'm concerned, this procedure saved my life!

Don't let fear of roadblocks keep you from pursuing your decision. The fact that you were a smoker and have asthma is only one complication, where as there are many on here that started at a far worse position than you and have had lots of success. You are already making a great step by quitting, it's not like that damage will be there for forever. I quit 7 years ago after smoking 2 packs a day for about 4 years and my lungs are now squeaky clean according to cat scan.

The biggest issue is to be sure to be honest and open with your dr's and anesthetist about it, and they will advise you on what if anything special needs to be done. You have a lot of good things going for you though! At 23 you have youth on your side and that goes IMMENSELY in your favor in terms of bounce back and recovery. And you are reaching out here for support and advice. Keep that up and good luck to you!