Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op, pre first fill, SUPER hungry!?

Hey banders! I'm almost three weeks post op and not really able to satisfy my hunger anymore. The first weeks, broths and Jello were great, but now I'm starting more solid and soft foods, but I'm only staying full for maybe an hour, hour and a half? Is this normal before you get to the green zone? I know everyone is different, but has anyone had a similar experience? How did YOU handle it?

Congrats on your surgery! You are in what's known as "bandster hell". It's the time between surgery and when you start getting fills. Most all of us went through it, and at this point, you essentially have to "diet". It's very difficult, but you will get through it. Once you start having fills and your band reaches its sweet spot, this will all go away. It's pretty miraculous :-) But for now, you just have to white knuckle it.

When you get hungry between meals, try having a ½ Protein shake or some Greek yogurt; something to hold you until the next meal. Something else might work better for you, but just eat enough to carry you through. I had my first fill at the 4 week mark, and it made a big difference. Subsequent fills were done in two week intervals, until I was in the green zone. But for me, the first fill made a difference. I hope it does for you, too.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and for giving me piece of mind!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone and that this is somewhat normal. Best of luck to everyone out there! I hope these posts help more than just me! :)

I was in BH for 4 months before my 3rd fill gave me enough satiety to not feel like I was hungry all the time. I managed to not gain any weight by eating healthy foods but not the 1 cup they recommend. I ate twice that but healthy foods are not as fattening as pizza, tacos and cheeseburgers.

tmf

I'm the same too. I feel ravenous all the time. :( I had an appointment yesterday to get my first fill, but then because of some recent cardiac events, I was told no and to follow-up next week after cardiologist visit if I'm cleared.

I was so disappointed. I already spoke with my PCP who felt that it was fine. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I'm just tired of being hungry all the time.

I will take the suggestions though in this thread and see if that helps. Thankfully, through shear will power alone I haven't regained all the pounds that I lost.

Keep going strong! You can do this!!! I was hungry about 1 week after surgery. So much so I had to yell at my husband who was also banded three days after me to shut the TV off because I could smell the hotwings through the TV commercial. Mind you I don't even like or eat hotwings but at that point I was feeling like i was ready to chew through the TV!

If you keep up the regime you have during your pre-op diet, eating when your hungry having a shake or non-fat sugar free pudding, Greek yogurt things like that. Even Soups, go creamy for some extra staying power. Protein is your friend right now. Try to get enough of that in.

It will help you to stay fuller longer, and help your body heal from surgery. Right now your focus is still healing, not to worry about losing weight but to maintain what you have already lost and to heal from surgery.

Keeping the Protein high will help that process and also prevent some hair loss so get it in even if it's the dreaded Protein shakes again. I know I was SICK of mine by the time I had surgery...but they help they really do!!

One week out and very hungry. Just not interested in the shakes. Hot broth is helping. First fill in two weeks. Good to know this us normal.