Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what did you guys drink on your preop diet? how did you feel? how did you feel the moment before you went into surgery when they put the gas mask?

i don't know if i am posting this in the right place, but i am curious, what did you guys incorporate into your preop diet? how did you feel while on the diet? also i would like to know how did you feel when you were about to get surgery and the mask was put on? what were your thoughts?

I lost enough weight during my 6 weeks of classes that I wasn't required to go on the 2 week liver-shrinking diet that many of my classmates did. For those 2 weeks if I'd have had to do it, we'd have been required to have 2 meals that consist of an 11oz Protein shake and one meal that was 4oz of lean Protein with no starches or carbs.

Since I got to skip that part I only had to partake in the 3 day clear liquid diet for the 3 days pre-op. In that we were allowed one bottle of Isopure (clear protein drink) and only sugar-free, calorie-free, caffeine-free drinks for 3 full days. This is the same diet we had for the first week post-op so it really just got me into the practice.

As for how I felt - I went into it planning on being a grouchy, irritable mess. Luckily it wasn't bad at all and I was so pumped up for the surgery getting closer that it was more about counting down the hours than dealing with the diet.

I don't even recall the mask going on though. I'm pretty sure the IV they started while I was waiting had something in it to help me relax as I barely remember walking back to the OR and hopping up on the table.

My week of pre-op was 2 shakes per day and 1 meal of lean Protein and green veggies. I had a raging headache all week, probably from carb withdrawal. Felt miserable.

I don't remember anything after wheeling away from my family and going through the double-doors into surgery hallway. That's the nice thing about anesthesia, you can't remember for a good chunk before hand. I was pretty calm right up to then, though. My hospital kept things busy - people coming in, checking on me, going over things etc. so I didn't have a lot of time to sit around and start getting nervous.

I lost enough weight during my 6 weeks of classes that I wasn't required to go on the 2 week liver-shrinking diet that many of my classmates did. For those 2 weeks if I'd have had to do it, we'd have been required to have 2 meals that consist of an 11oz Protein shake and one meal that was 4oz of lean Protein with no starches or carbs.

Since I got to skip that part I only had to partake in the 3 day clear liquid diet for the 3 days pre-op. In that we were allowed one bottle of Isopure (clear protein drink) and only sugar-free, calorie-free, caffeine-free drinks for 3 full days. This is the same diet we had for the first week post-op so it really just got me into the practice.

As for how I felt - I went into it planning on being a grouchy, irritable mess. Luckily it wasn't bad at all and I was so pumped up for the surgery getting closer that it was more about counting down the hours than dealing with the diet.

I don't even recall the mask going on though. I'm pretty sure the IV they started while I was waiting had something in it to help me relax as I barely remember walking back to the OR and hopping up on the table.

what a 6 week class? wow. i only have to do a 2 day diet. im glad everything went smooth for you guys...i had a csection last year and i kind of love being put to sleep. im looking forward to it. im not looking forward to waking up in pain though.

what a 6 week class? wow. i only have to do a 2 day diet. im glad everything went smooth for you guys...i had a csection last year and i kind of love being put to sleep. im looking forward to it. im not looking forward to waking up in pain though.

Yeah, from what I heard the program we have to go through is much more robust than many others. But I will say that all of the great information I learned in the months leading up to surgery through these classes, the support groups, the friends and family meetings and all of the medical appointments really prepared me for what to expect after surgery. I attribute most of my success to the details they armed me with, so all I have had to do so far was stick to the program.

I had a 2 week Optifast diet pre op. I was hungry on it, but muddled through. I was rather calm before surgery and was given Versed before they wheeled me into the OR suite, so I don't remember getting the gas, since the Versed tends to cause you to forget everything that happens after they give you the shot. The last thought I remember was hoping that I would eventually wake up.

Racewalker, that's funny. My only memory of the recovery room is groggily hearing nurses and beeping and I thought, "Oh good. I lived."

Lmfaoo@ good I lived, aww that's great. @@living well I think the 6 week class is good, because I see a lot of revision patients at my center and I honestly feel they weren't prepared, my mother being one of them. She lost 80lbs and gained back 100, she never followed her diet and now she wants a revision done and we are all scared for her. I wish she would of been in a 6 week class and I'm hoping they make her do a workshop now. When you guys woke up were you extremely thirsty? I had a dream I woke up and was dying for Water and I really wanted to drink so badly and then that 1oz cup came and I wanted more and more, I'm wondering if its my mind telling me I won't be able to gulp down drinks anymore and to get ready.

I only had a clear liquid diet the day before surgery, to clear everything out.

I can only remember mostly the ore surgery area. They prepped me, and then said they were going to get my husband. I said a quick prayer, then he came in and gave me a kiss goodbye. Then I remember them wheeling me into the surgery room, and me saying, wow, it is cold in here! I helped move myself from one gurney onto the table, and as I lay there, she put something into my IV and said, this is to help you relax.... Poof!

When I woke up, I was in some pain, and it took the nurse a minute or two to get over to me to get me something. But she did as fast as she was able, and then I was fine.

I remember being cold in the surgery room too. I barely remember waking up though. I had trouble breathing and kept trying to get rid of the oxygen. I only really remember waking up the next morning.

As far as pre op diet, it was all Protein shakes, and then Clear liquids the day before.

All I remember is being wheeled into the operating room, the next thing I remember is being in my room and they had me sitting up. Lots of pain at first and my hubby said I kept saying "what did I I do, what did I do" apparently I forgot I was in for surgery...very weird.

I was terrified in the surgery room. I could barely talk. I saw all of the tools lying against the wall being prepared for my surgery and I almost got off the table. I was able to focus on a calming anesthesiologist and calm myself and also my surgeon's PA came in and seeing his face just before falling asleep was the best thing that happened. When I woke up I was comfortable and relieved it was over. It was a long night in the hospital walking and trying to drink etc. however by morning the day after surgery I was feeling so much better and stronger and able to get down Water and milk and broth as needed. Very happy now with my surgery. Adjusting to what I can and can not eat but it's getting easier.

Didn't have one