Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel, and it's a learning experience

I'm away from home for business. I'm three months out. I brought sardines to eat in my hotel room for dinner--no fork! There is a set up for coffee--next time I'm bringing Decaf tea. I brought milk in a box to make a Protein shake, and I had to poke it open with a pen. Live and learn.

Good thing it's only one night.

You're making progress. :)

Just go back and reread the success in that post. And think about the last time you traveled for work pre surgery and what you ate. Congratulations on your commitment to a new life!

Your post about business travel made me smile. I used to travel a lot for business when I was younger and at one time was doing a Protein shake diet. I used to pack my shakes (already included milk, so only needed to add water) and a large mug to mix the shake in as the cups in hotels are much too small (although now I'd probably just make it up in smaller batches) and Earl Grey teabags, . If I was staying in one place more than one night I also took a bowl and SF Jello and made that up in the room as soon as I arrived so I had something to snack on later. I also used to keep at least one set of plastic knife. fork, spoon in the car glove compartment and also a very handy little salt and pepper dispenser that was intended for picnics but was ideal for keeping in the car.

I travel for work at lest once a ml th. I have found that I tend to lose no weight on trips - not enough Water usually. But I don't gain so yay me

You can do this. Just follow your doc and nutritionist rules and slowly but surely.

The other thing when I am traveling is I rarely get out to see the sights ever. Just inside of offices and hotels. Well since June I've made a real point to get out for a walk. I usually walk every night.

In Dallas 3 nights and 1 mile per night in plano

Chattanooga 2 nights and walked from hotel, along river, and back to hotel each night. 3 miles round trip each night.

Scranton next week. Let's see what o can come up with.

I have almost enjoyed traveling now post-surgery.

I do pack enough Protein bars to make sure lunch and dinner are covered for the entire trip (just in case).

I try to get a room with a fridge now so I can buy some RTD Protein shakes as well. Most of the time this works, but when it doesn't, I've found that filling an ice bucket around a Protein shake will chill it enough overnight that it is fine for Breakfast in the morning.

I've never been a bit coffee/tea guy so I never pay attention to the options but I would try asking the front desk for some tea bags. I can't imagine any major hotel chain that wouldn't give them to you.

I'm away from home for business. I'm three months out. I brought sardines to eat in my hotel room for dinner--no fork! There is a set up for coffee--next time I'm bringing Decaf tea. I brought milk in a box to make a Protein shake, and I had to poke it open with a pen. Live and learn.

Good thing it's only one night.

Ok Fezi. That's almost a hall of famer! LOL

Thanks for your post. I travel alot for work and how to survive travel once I have the surgery is a fear of mine. (surgery will be in December) Most of my travel is 2-3 weeks at a time visiting 2-3 cities ....half the time I dont have a car....so I have to figure out how to pack or ship what I need to survive the trip. Any hints for what to do in airports or on planes? My average day of flying is roughly 12-14 hours so I would need multiple Snacks. Thanks.

Thanks for your post. I travel alot for work and how to survive travel once I have the surgery is a fear of mine. (surgery will be in December) Most of my travel is 2-3 weeks at a time visiting 2-3 cities ....half the time I dont have a car....so I have to figure out how to pack or ship what I need to survive the trip. Any hints for what to do in airports or on planes? My average day of flying is roughly 12-14 hours so I would need multiple Snacks. Thanks.

I run into similar issues whenever I visit India or Singapore. Since I've yet to see GNC or Vitamin Shoppe overseas, I am usually forced to bring everything with me. That is where the Protein bars come in super handy. I'm a huge fan of the Quest bars as they have 20+ grams of Protein, very little sugar and very few total carbs. They work as a full meal and are quite easy to pack in my luggage (plus a couple in my carry-on).

I also always keep a small bag of almonds with me just in case, but watch out as they're really high in calories (though they are good on the protein).

Beyond that, lunchmeat is a big go-to wherever I am. It is found easily, gives a few options for variety and supplies the protein I need.

In the airports, I look for meaty chili. It is usually pretty high in protein and cost effective as well as you typically don't have to pay for a full meal, just a cup of Soup.

If you're traveling domestically, I'd recommend checking for a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe in the city you're going to. It may prevent you from having to pack everything and you could replenish your supply mid-trip.

U njury makes individual packets of Protein Shake powder. I used those in Italy. I also have used it in a water bottle. Just drink or empty half the bottle, add the packet of powder and shake it up.

At the airport I go for a sandwich

Usually they have somewhere with deli. Here at Newark they make huge sandwiches and I order one. Have them wrap the 2 haves separately

First half I remove the break and eat the deli meats for lunch. I keep the other half for later on in the travel day.

Many places at airport also have yogurts, some fruits and veggie packs

In a pinch - like today- I went to starbucks and grabbed an egg salad sandwich and just removed 1 piece of the multigrain bread and ate the other half.

U njury makes individual packets of Protein shake powder. I used those in Italy. I also have used it in a Water bottle. Just drink or empty half the bottle, add the packet of powder and shake it up.

Thank you. I tried the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury packets on my last trip so I could test it out. I learned a valuable lesson...that I also need to bring my blender ball cups...I tried oversized plastic cups but I couldnt get it to mix well.....I prefer the Unjury with soy milk which many hotels dont sell in their shops...but at least I can ship the soy milk b/c it isnt refrigerated. This is my time to learn what will work for me so I am prepared on my next trip which will be after my surgery.

Thanks for your suggestions and support. I need it and I appreciate it.

@Jersrose43 I live in Chattanooga, glad to hear you got to see our beautiful city :) many, many beautiful walks here, I am so thankful!