Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm regretting the sleeve

I had the sleeve and a hernia repair on Aug 26, was in the hosp for five days and have regretted it every day since (was on medical leave from my desk job for a month). This was the most painful thing I've ever gone thru. It's gotten better, however, I still deal with a pain right under my breast every time I drink. It feels like what I'm drinking gets stuck for a minute then it goes down. Because of this pain, I now have a fear of drinking/eating. I've lost 37 lbs (most of it muscle mass). I haven't once got my Protein in (most I get is maybe 40 grams). I'm getting better with Water, I just fill up so fast. And I hate every Protein powder and shake out there. (Don't get me started on all the Vitamins I should be taking.....bought them all and they sit unopened).

What has happened to me??? My doctor says I'm "wired" different than any patient he's ever had. My absolute biggest fear is that I'm going to lose my hair. I know there's something wrong with me. Has anyone else gone thru anything like this? Any suggestions or ideas to help me thru this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

I think the hernia repair is worse than the sleeve. It may take awhile to eat/drink. I am post op by 2 days and can drink warm tea, Water, and fluids, but I just have so much gas it's hard to sip and burp. I made a shaved ice with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder, a packet of sugar free Hawaiian punch, ice and a little Water. It tastes so good, I'm going to make a pumpkin one, and try root beer next. I have a couple different sugar free Torani and davinci syrups, so I am going to make different things.

I bought an oster personal blender and it is amazing at making shaved ice smoothies

I agree, the hernia repair was very painful and completely unexpected.

I've also heard about an unflavored Protein from unjury. I'm going to try that. I just hope I'm not too late to where it affects the hair loss.

Have you considered counseling? I am not trying to minimize your feelings but I have been through childbirth, banding, disbanding, sleeved, hernia repair, plastics.... sleeve was hard because it was hard to stay hydrated and everything tasted weird....and that was back when I cared a lot about food. From a pain perspective tho...sleeve was easy by comparison (that port when banded hurt!) Don't get me started about childbirth: 12 on a painscale of 1-10!

I think alot of it is mental attitude. It's hard, you have given up a lover and so called friend (over eating) and your whole darn world has been turned upside down. I think I was a little depressed post sleeve and never believed I would look or feel normal again. I was right..nearly 3 years post op and I am on fire!!! Just wish I had been able to become slim/normal decades ago!!!

I think you're definitely right about it being a mental battle. I do have a counselor and am going to make an appt with her.

I've had two kids (one vaginal and one c-section) and a hysterectomy (one of the reasons why I had the surgery was the weight gain from post-menopause). At 43, I would have thought this would have been a little easier. lol thank you!

This spring... After being at goal more than a year, I went through a rough patch. I just could hardly eat. Of course my first reaction was a "sleeve problem". My surgeon was on vacation so I had to see someone I didn't know. He was compassionate and offered all the tests... scopes etc but told me honestly my symptoms didn't really match likely surgery related issues.

Turned out I was lonely. Under and over eating are sides of the same coin. I had to make conscious choices to EAT properly and then sure enuf... got better. I am sharing this as words of encouragement. This journey isn't always easy but it has been so worth it. Look at my profile for before and afters and it tells a story.

I know exactly how you feel. For the first two months I could not have said I was glad I had it done even though my weight loss was great.The first month was just God-awful, much worse than I thought it would be and I thought I had made a huge mistake. I had no energy, hated eating and just didn't feel like me. The good news...most of this is over at about 3 months post op. By that time I had also found a Protein shake that I love and still drink one almost every day for a Meal Replacement and I am almost a year post. Ensure high Protein shakes are awesome! They are only 210 cal., 5g sugar, 26g Protein and lots of Vitamins and minerals. There is no aftertaste and it goes down smooth and easy. I like the milk chocolate flavor because it tastes just like chocolate milk (I only drink them cold unless absolutely necessary and they aren't terrible if they are warm) The down side is they are a little pricey at $8.99/4pack on sale. Wish I would have found them when I was on liquids or mushies. They really help with getting protein in which will make you feel a lot better too. Now I have to say I just LOVE my sleeve and the life it has given back to me. I like being limited and I know as soon as I get even slightly uncomfortable, I stop eating and everything is ok. Give yourself a little more time to get to know what all the new feelings mean for you. I finally feel like a "normal" person. I used to be on 3 blood pressure meds, in pain everyday and couldn't walk 5 houses down my street without wanting to collapse. Now I am virtually pain-free, walk 1-2 miles with no problem and I am only on half of one medication. I've gone from a size 26 to a 16 and I haven't seen that number in over 20 years! Total weight loss so far is 110lbs with 80 to go and would not have believed in a million years this could happen for me. It can happen for you too. I know you feel miserable right now, but hang it there, it gets A LOT better! :)

Agree! Therapy during the sleeve journey is so smart. You're going through so many changers on so many different levels, be good to yourself.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I just wanted to see if anyone else had gone thru the same thing. It sounds like you are doing wonderful. I think I've hit the depression phase. I'm grieving the loss of food. I'm hoping I can get thru it quickly.

Thank you again for your story and support. I really appreciate it!!

nice advise above. believe in yourself. you can do it. Tell yourself it will get better, because it will.

hey everyone has different stories, I also had a hernia fixed during my sleeve surgery. It was hard at first and 3 + weeks out I still have some problems but Im loosing weight steadily which is what I wanted. sometimes some things go down hard, but then i take a deep breath and just relax and tell myself it will not always be like this. there are still some things I just cant eat yet, but that doesnt mean in a few weeks i wont try again.

Im also paranoid about my hair falling out, you HAVE to get that protien in, HAVE to, if you dont want your hair falling out, and the Vitamins, eat them, chew them up.

I use vanilla, body fortress Protein powder, with 2 tablespoons of green yogurt, 6oz of skim plus milk and a packet of stevia and a few ice cubes in a blender, thats about 42 grams of Protein in just that one drink!!! Its really good, creamy, almost like a real milkshake! Also my dr recommended liquid Biotin 3000mcg in a bottle of Water to keep hair from falling out.

I was concerned about Hair loss and like you I have never got all my Protein, Water or Vitamins in. I'll be 4 months out on the 5th and haven't experienced any significant hair lose so ka sa ra sa ra and don't stress over it because it is out of your control...

I too am not sure I have made the right decision. I suffer from severe anxiety and I worry over every little thing. I like the Premier Protein shakes. 30 grams of Protein in each shake. I drink 2 a day. I also see a Therapist twice a month. I was doing this before surgery. I am also terrified of my hair falling out. It will be more severe if you do not get your protein in.

Good luck!

My hair did partially fall out, and it wasn't due to inadequate nutrients, it just happens sometimes. The thing is, it grows back. I think it is very important to stay focused on why you made this decision "your eye on the prize" and not let yourself get too upset about temporary issues. I get it, I really do, but if you want to be the most successful, I strongly encourage a focus on the positives.

My experience has been very similar. My pain was way more than I expected and for much longer. liquids were such a struggle and those horrible shakes.... Gag. And the powder made me sick. I was way below compliance with everything I needed to be doing. Had to sleep a lot and take pain meds. Then one day, I felt like I had turned a corner. Pain was reduced out of the blue. Even so, still had to gag down liquids. I was kicking myself and crying a lot for what I had done to myself. It is much better though now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And having 30 lbs off feels great. Please hang in there and know you are not alone. This surgery is hard!!

Edited by JCP