Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Just Starting Their Journey?

Hey, all! Just wondering if anyone else is beginning their sleeve journey. I have BCBS FEP, and my insurance requires a 3 month physician supervised diet. I went to my first appointment a few weeks ago. My doctor started me on a 1500 calorie diet, and a prescription weight loss drug, Belviq. I have newly diagnosed hypertension, and my BMI is 42. I sent in my packet to the surgeons office, and what I love about them is they have a "bundle" appointment. I will see the surgeon, nutritionist, and psychologist all in one visit! If anyone else is just starting, tell me how you're doing :)

Hey there! I too just started. I live in MD and have Cigna (3 month process too). I am 5'8" - 280 lbs with a BMI of 42. I'm plowing away at my required appointments and tests and had my required Physical Therapy appointment today. Part of me is very confident that I will get approved and then there is a part of me too that feels like I'm not "heavy" enough (I am blessed not to have any other health issues). Waiting game!

Hi, I started back in June with my classes finished sept 10... Just was cleared to go have my consultation with the surgeon then set up my surgery date.... I'm feeling very excited !

I am just starting also. I have Humana Gold. I am older than you ladies I am sure. My BMI is 65. I have not met with the surgeon yet. I have the first meeting with group Oct 7. that is required by doctor. I have seen my PCP and she is starting the pre op testing that is required. I am trying to be patient but that is not one of my virtues. I haven't met with the nutritionist yet. Psych is not required by my insurance, but I don't know about the doctor. I am just hanging on right now.

DaiDai, I feel the same way, with my BMI at 42! I'm 5'0, and 218lbs. People always tell me I carry my weight well. I never really understood what they meant by that but, my knees hurt, and I'm sick of being overweight. I was really shocked at my hypertension diagnosis, which is why I looked into the sleeve.

Tcrone, congrats! That's great news. I hope to be in your shoes in a few months!

Carmen Luellman, age doesn't matter here :) We all have the same goal, and that's to be healthy! Patience is not one of my virtues, either. I'm really anxious to have my next weight check with my PCP!

Hi,

I am new too. I have gone through all but the Psy. exam which will be the 30th of this month. I am 5'9 and 265 with a bmi of 39. I am afraid I won't get approved but I do have sleep apnea and high Cholesterol so I hope that goes in my favor. People have also told me I carry my weight well which is nice I guess but I don't feel that way. I look like Buddha and my knees and Hips kill me. I have NO energy at all and I can't keep up with my kids. It has taken me a long time to get to the point where I have given up on my own ability to lose the fat on my own. I now feel there is a light at the end of this very long, self hating tunnel and I can barely wait. I won't deny I am TERRIFIED that I will be the one who dies on the table leaving my kids and giving my husband the final "I told you so". I just want my life back and be a better Mom and wife with more energy and confidence and looking cute in jeans can't hurt either...

Hi All,

​I am in the very beginnings of the process, I have not met with a surgeon yet. I have Anthem BC and still am unsure of what the insurance requires, I have an idea but want to make sure before getting my hopes up. My BMI is 55 and I am 56 years old. I have many health issues going on which losing weight I am sure will make better or end them completely. I just want to be able to enjoy my family and activities like before I gained this weight. Looking forward to a new life :D

Edited by zabby

Hello, I am 46 years old and just started this process myself in July, I have had two weigh ins. My original weight was 240 as of 9/4/14 I was at 239, but then we had a cruise to Alaska, and I know I gained weight. Per my insureance Atena, I am not allowed to gain even one pound over the 240, so I hope I can get the 3 lbs off by 10/10/14, after this date I only have one more weigh in in Nov.

I have the Esophagogastroduodenscopy (EGD) and they found a small hernia. We just wait and see what they want to do next I guess.

Hello, I just started this roller coaster ride in June. I'm 51 with a BMI of 50. I've had my psych, nutrition, and a trip to a cardiologist for a cardiac clearance. I don't have any heart problems, but he wants to an echo on October 1st before he clears me for surgery. My next appt after clearance will be the tummy scope to ensure I'm eligible for laparoscopic surgery. Then hopefully I'll get a surgery date this year. I'm not looking forward to a surgery so close to the holidays but I'm wanting to be healthy. I just need to remember this is in Gods timing not mine.

Wishing you all good luck and blessings on your journey to a more healthy and beautiful you.

Edited by JesusFreak

All these heart test make me nervous....ok I know I sound neurotic....really I am not. I did have to do a EKG but that is it (well, the Psy test and 6 mo diet) have you guys heard that this surgery is hard on the heart?

I am also just starting this process. Met with the Nutritionist and Surgeon yesterday. My insurance (Premera) requires a 6 month pre-approval process, must attend 7 monthly nutrition classes (last class scheduled 03/05/15). My BMI is 41 and have Hypertension and sleep Apnea.

Hi, my name is Diane and I just started the process in August I am self pay, and it still takes months. I thought I was done with all my tests and waiting for a date, then the clinic called and said I need cardiac clearance because of abnormal EKG, my PCP said my EKG was ok, not bad, but because of surgery, I have to have one more test, so now the waiting is what kills me, waiting to hear when my stress test will be. have to get insurance approval before I can have the test done. I was hoping for an October date, but maybe it will be November. With my job, I can't go into December, it is our busy time, so if not Nov. then I will have to wait till Jan.

Hi, I too am in beginning stages. I saw surgeon 7 weeks ago and he put me on 1000 cal diet! I'm only 5'1", weigh 226, BMI 42, (BMI 44 at MD office). He said short people who carry all their weight in abdominal area are the hardest to operate on, not enough room to operate, can't get enough gas in. My fault I guess for asking that question. (Former OR nurse, couldn't help it!). He wants me to lose 30+ lbs before surgery. I'm doing well, lost 27 lbs so far. But testing revealed I have sleep apnea, and I must be on CPAP/BiPAP mask for at least 2 months before surgery. I'm worried that if I don't lose more, or gain surgery might be cancelled. Nurse said I can lose larger amount and still have surgery, but if I lose more weight successfully seems silly to go forward w sugery. I KNOW my issue is not losing weight, but maintaining it. I'm struggling with mental state here, not so much the diet. I am trying to concentrate on the process of getting my body ready for surgery. But the waiting part is hard no matter what the reason.

All these heart test make me nervous....ok I know I sound neurotic....really I am not. I did have to do a EKG but that is it (well, the Psy test and 6 mo diet) have you guys heard that this surgery is hard on the heart?

I haven't heard that the surgery is hard on the heart. My cardiologist is the doctor that wants me to get the surgery. I know all the weight I am carrying is worse for the heart. Has anyone heard differently.

I have my first appointment with a surgeon today!

Hey there! I too just started. I live in MD and have Cigna (3 month process too). I am 5'8" - 280 lbs with a BMI of 42. I'm plowing away at my required appointments and tests and had my required Physical Therapy appointment today. Part of me is very confident that I will get approved and then there is a part of me too that feels like I'm not "heavy" enough (I am blessed not to have any other health issues). Waiting game!

I'm 5'8" 282 pounds , but have 6 months since my new insurance requires it. My current only requires 3. *SIGH* I feel the same way you do. I hope they approve me. Best Wishes!