Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What other people think!

I fully realize now that there are a lot of jealous people that would gladly sabotage my journey. My mother being my worst critic. She has always put me down. Now that she has gained weight, she is very scared of me weighing less than her. My solution is to discuss anything with her accept weight. She knows I will change the subject. I visited two days in a row with a totally new hair do which was very flattering and she refused to notice. I am doing this for me and not her.

None of us like to be judged, and I've always felt that weight or WLS was a very personal matter. It is your journey, and don't let anyone get you down! WLS can be an emotional roller coaster for many of us, and I avoid giving anyone a chance to provide negative feedback or make judgement. Most of us know who might be negative influences long before going into surgery. You have a good attitude, and you will succeed!

Edited by labwalker

Good for you ! Getting YOUR body healthy and strong is your #1 priority, not HER body. You will have your journey, she will have hers. I like your changing the subject idea, no fighting or discussion, just changeing the subject. Hopefully she'll get the idea. Some celebrity stated "You can be the ripest , juicest peach in the world, and there will be somebody out there who doesn't like peaches !" True . So, stick to your guns and who knows, maybe your mom will see you as a motivation to get healthy herself ! Or somebody else who Iis watching you ! You never know who you might inspire ! Good luck !

It is about you....know matter what others may think, in the end it's still the dance you'll do alone...

Also, I have noticed, that the biggest critics are those who are the fattest? It's got to be jealousy, and it is us who have the courage to do something? While the fat critics are cowards? And don't have the nerve? Pathetic!

They're the ones who should be ashamed of themselves....not the ones who make the decision, get skinny, fit and healthy...

My mother is old now so I cut her a lot of slack, but boy oh boy it's pretty interesting to step back and look at the situation. She handed me every single damn diet book on the market and she will not stop talking about whatever diet craze she's on and how this is IT. The key to the whole thing, etc. But she has not noticed that I have gone from a size 18 to a size 10 jeans, and 1-2X tops down to mediums and larges. I think she is just too self-absorbed or that she cannot see me. The real me. Also I am so much more powerful now -- outspoken, truth-telling rather than keeping quiet. That's probably a little scary for her. I'm sure glad I never considered telling her about my decision to get a band. On the subject changing, I do that, too. Great strategy! I have a little line-up of topics. How 'bout those Red Sox, lol. Good luck to you -- enjoy the perspective and know that you are what matters. You're doing this for you.