Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Untied health care ?

Yes I have the same plan and was approved took about a week good luck ;-)

What were your requirements to be approved? I was told just a PCP preauthorization. I want to be sure the girl on the phone knew what she was talking about....she sounded hesitant.

What were your requirements to be approved? I was told just a PCP preauthorization. I want to be sure the girl on the phone knew what she was talking about....she sounded hesitant.

I have United Health Care as well, but now I also have Medicare, I started my journey May 2013, and was under United Health Care, then this year October 1st Medicare kicked in so now Medicare I was told is my Primary and United Health Care is my Secondary, so I am kind in limbo right now as well. The coordinator is working on my referral to be submitted to the insurance companies, so I am just sitting back and playing the waiting game right now. With United I had to do 1 year of supervised dietitian meetings, I am in Michigan don't know if that makes a difference, but yeah they required a year of it I actually did 16 months total. Medicare didn't require any I found out, so if I get approved I then will be set up with appt to take psych eval and meet with surgeon.....Fingers Crossed :)

Is there anyone that can share their knowledge with me. My husband has a lot of medical problems, but his insurance (Aetna) will not pay for Bypass surgery. We are on a fixed income and to borrow that much for surgery is not something we can do. He has medical problem Kidney failure , Diabetes etc. and I feel it would be unsafe to go Mexico(My daughter had her surgery there) If he had problems Not sure he could get the help he needed. Does a sleeve work as well on the diabetic? Any help will be appreciate.

United health care community plan is great. I had no problems with approval. You can definitely hope for the best with United Health care.

@sweetnell. Am assuming your plan is thru an employer.

You should ask if there are other plans that he can switch to. If not do you have your own insurance ? If it is covered can he get on that?

If those are not options i suggest you start looking at your states exchange and picking up an individual plan to pay for it then drop later. You'll need to weight the costs carefully as some carry high deductibles

So upset, I have UHC Community Care and was denied. Weighed 265 lost 25lbs within 6 months of supervised weight loss. I was denied because I had no pressing medical problems (not true I am Pre-diabetic) and body mass index is 41. Anyway, I also have Medicare and I have I have been forwarded over to Surgery and I am waiting to be scheduled. I am truly hurt that I was denied by UHC....I am now paying my Medicare deductible to have surgery. Has anyone that has been approved by UHC Community Care in Wisconsin in 2015?

I have United Healthcare Choice Plus. I was informed by my insurance company today that there is a written exclusion for any type of weight loss surgery. I don't know what to do now.

Edited by jillstl

So upset, I have UHC Community Care and was denied. Weighed 265 lost 25lbs within 6 months of supervised weight loss. I was denied because I had no pressing medical problems (not true I am Pre-diabetic) and body mass index is 41. Anyway, I also have Medicare and I have I have been forwarded over to Surgery and I am waiting to be scheduled. I am truly hurt that I was denied by UHC....I am now paying my Medicare deductible to have surgery. Has anyone that has been approved by UHC Community Care in Wisconsin in 2015?

Appeal!!

You'll be stuck for the deductible (1000 plus for hospital) and 20% for the surgeon, anesthesia and other ancillary care.

Appeal!!!

Though all turned out ok in the end, I had issues with UHC. Evidently from the time I started my WLS journey till I was sent for approval, they had changed my particular policy group to require the 6 months of supervised weight loss attempts. All fine and good for me, since I had it anyway, but the best explanation that could be communicated was to the effect that the policy change went into effect, but the proverbial "no one" had put it in the patient or doctor's manuals yet (?) My advice to anyone because of this is to be very very sure of what your insurance requires, and periodically check for updates by calling them. I asked 4 times throughout this process to make sure I was doing everything correctly, and was assured up till less than a month before my surgery that all was fine, when boom! It could have really fouled things up.

@Jerserose43 I may just do that....it can not hurt to try, right? The reason they provided me was that it is not medically necessary because I gave no underlying medical issues. Which is not true I am pre diabetic, I have fluctuating high blood pressure, most importantly I have 2 bulging disc's and a pain in the neck sciatica that causes me to have to be on the ER at least 1 a month for morphine shots to ease the pain and allow me to walk.

I have UHC community plan and the process was fast and easy. I only completed 5 months weight supervised class, and pcp letter of support, but my surgeon required a sleep study. And thank god for that because I now have sleep apnea. I was approved in 2 days by UHC. Feb 16th is the big day. Good luck everyone!