Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre op diet? Did they have to postpone?

I was pretty good the whole time. It was 2 week pre op diet.

2 shakes and a Breakfast with 1 serving of 2 choices and a late afternoon meal with a lean meat and veggies. However last night I cheated with a half piece of frozen pizza slice (digornio) I threw it away when I realized what I was doing. I left a little less then a half of piece in the trash. I have surgery on weds and am scared I have ruined everything and my liver is going to be too large to operate on me. I just want to cry. I have waited so long for this chance. I cannot believe I risked it over a slice of pizza.< /p>

it is going to be ok, one slip will not destroy you. some docs dont even have a strict preop diet, and I am willing to bet most of us have had that one last time to eat xxxx... proud of you for not eating all of the pizza slice. love sara

You're fine, don't worry about it. I had a moment of weakness on my pre-op diet. Only one, and it was a few days before surgery, and the doctor told me my liver looked nice and small. The idea is to keep people from loading up on all of the fatty foods that they think they'll never get to eat again right before surgery. This causes your liver to be quite large, and they have to slide under it to perform the surgery. If it is too large, it has the potential to crack which takes your surgery from 45 minutes to like 6 hours.

I have a friend who totally went out and had Olive Garden the night before surgery because his doctor had almost no pre-op diet rules. He came out completely fine.

So...a little bit of pizza didn't hurt you. :)

it is going to be ok, one slip will not destroy you. some docs dont even have a strict preop diet, and I am willing to bet most of us have had that one last time to eat xxxx... proud of you for not eating all of the pizza slice. love sara

Thank you.

I had a bad day today and was scared about this too. I'm 8 days from surgery and did so good the first 5 days. Ugh.

I also cheated on my pre op diet. It was two weeks long, and I was supposed to consume nothing but Protein shakes, but for the first week, I cheated by eating a small, low carb meal once a day (something like hard boiled eggs, or some cheese and nuts). But then one night about five days before surgery I had an all-out carb fest... I ate pizza, rice and bread, and drank wine. Then I felt guilty, and did Clear liquids only for the last two days before surgery.

Anyway, the outcome of all of this was that when my surgeon went out to the waiting room to tell my husband how I did in surgery he told him that my liver was "tiny". And that's the whole point of the pre-op diet, to shrink your liver so it's not in the way while they are operating. So I guess my carb-fest didn't hurt anything!

I had no pre op diet and everything was great. They called my 4 days before survey saying I was approved and my dr only had this one day left this year. I took it and just really ate better than normal for those 4 days.

I had shakes, Soup (progresso light), and Protein bars. So I did cheat once. (My "big" cheat: I ate a saltine cracker and some hummus!) I feel like.. if you're eating Protein Bars and you cheat a little there's no way it will postpone the surgery. If you eat a 4-course meal the night before surgery though, you might be in trouble.

My doctor has you do 2 weeks of Optifast. I'm on day 9 right now. The first 3 days were terrible, but better since they then. They say you're expected to lose 5% of your body weight during those 2 weeks, hinting that if you came back in at close to the same pre-diet weight, they would cancel the surgery. I'm down 12 pounds in 9 days and not feeling bad at all on 800 calories/day.

Ooh pizza ... I'm scared about this too. I'm scheduled for 5/4, and I'm doing whatever I can to not have any "food funerals" between now and then. Insurance is covering a portion of the surgery and an increase in weight would be a big red flag, so I REALLY cannot afford to derail.

Mine was a week preop diet & I did well.. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I used the Bariatric Advantage shakes & they kept me full, but I still don't like the taste. I lost weight beforehand and was eating smaller portions so I wouldn't be starving hungry during this.. (My insurance took over a year to approve me-but I got into losing weight on my own slowing but surely the last 6 months I'd say?)