Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Firming and Toning - Need Help!

Ok, so I'm down 65 lbs, and have noticed that my fat is much more 'jiggly' than it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather weigh 65 lbs less and be 'jiggly', than have 'firm' fat (which sounds like a complete oxymoron). Anyway, what are the best ways to get more firm and toned? I am not one to go to the gym and use free weights, so I thought about ordering PiYo, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. What are you all doing?

Buy weights and do them at home if you don't want to do it at the gym. The jiggles are relentless. Cardio and heavy weights are the only things that have ever worked for me. Honestly, even walking 6 or 7 miles per workout with a weighted vest and doing squats with heavy weight transformed the jiggles on the back of my thighs. I was elated to say the least.

I have heard that both Flax Oil and Fish Oil help keep elasticity in your skin so that as you lose, your skin will be elastic enough to shrink a bit, back into place. Of course this is much easier for younger people than it is for my age group (50 and over).

I just thought I'd pass this along. I went to a sleeve support group meeting on Saturday here in Minneapolis and one of the ladies had gotten this information from her nutritionist.

Thanks ladies!

I've been doing cardio for about six weeks now, but haven't seen any results on my legs even though I use an eliptical. My arms and legs are awful!

Interesting to know about the flax/fish oil. I'll definitely have to check into it. I don't have much elasticity in my skin. Or I assume I don't from the massive amount of stretch marks I have! Over the weekend, I read that it can take 6 months for your skin to catch up with your weight loss. I hope mine catches up at least a little!

This is a great article on how to avoid loose skin.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

However, I think with losing weight so quickly, no matter what we do, it's going to take our skin some time to catch up. I plan on using free weights at home for toning. I did that when I lost weight "the old fashioned way" in the past and it seemed to help.

I also bought some of the recommended beef Gelatin, but I'm only three weeks post-op and my nutritionist says not to start it until 40 days post-op. I'm already taking Vitamin C and Fish Oil.

I love dancing so I have done zumba, Sh'Bam and L.I.A for 3 weeks now It's really fun and I see the good result. The "lifebuoy" on the waist and under my belly button started shrinking down. I also join the 1 hour body balance class (mix of Yoga & Pilates) once a week.

I also exfoliate once a week and moisturize everyday. I heard that it can help with the stretch marks (mine are still red and not very visible).

I'm down about 60 pounds as of today, and haven't noticed much loose skin at all. I do moisturize a lot. I was using Nivea firming lotion but since I ran out of it a couple of weeks ago I've just been using regular moisturizer and haven't really noticed any difference, so I'm thinking about not shelling out the $12 for another bottle of it. Maybe if I see it on sale or something.

Other than the moisturizing, I take a Biotin supplement every day called hair, Skin, and Nails. In addition to Biotin, it contains collagen, and hyaluronic acid, both of which are good for the elasticity of the skin. And I've been weight lifting with heavy weights since I was cleared to by my surgeon. I just do free weights at home, I only really use three sets-10's, 15's, and 25's. So it's not a huge investment to get set-up to lift at home. And it's not a huge investment of time either, it takes me 20-30 minutes two or three times a week. @@browneyedgirl1981 message me if you're interested in knowing more about my training plan.

I've done a lot of core strength training to help with my arms and abs. I'm still looking into surgery because at a certain point for me, after losing nearly 140, no amount of toning is cutting it. Good luck to you! I hope you find something that works for you. Maybe even investing in a session or 2 with a personal trainer may be worth it just to identify some fundamental things you could do on your own.