Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about the future can banish the urge to “emotionally eat”

People dealing with significant obesity (who are pre- or post-bariatric surgery) are often challenged with a battle against emotional eating. We mistakenly feel (usually a short-term emotion) that eating will lighten the load, lessen the bad news, cure a sad feeling or be more fun than being bored.

New research has found a quick and simple way to help offset these cravings many of us face. It's so simple.

And it works.

New research might provide insight into a simple way you can fight the urge to eat something fatty or sugary:

Think about the future.

Researchers at the University of Delaware looked at how people’s emotions affect their food choices. In the first study, researchers found people rated healthy foods as being more favorable than indulgent foods when they were in a good mood (as opposed to a neutral one).

In a second study, researchers found people are more likely to prefer indulgent foods when they’re in a bad mood.

In the final two studies, researchers found that asking participants to focus on the future resulted in them choosing healthier food options while thinking only about the present caused participants to pick the less-healthy choice. This held true regardless of what mood participants were in when the study was conducted.

When you’re thinking long-term, you’re more likely to consider future health and overall quality of life benefits (better chances for finding a partner, better job options, expanded wardrobe options). But when you’re thinking now, it’s easier to get caught up in how tasty your food is—and forget about the consequences down the road.

The next time you’re ready to head to Wawa and get the mega Icy with a side of Wing Dings, make yourself stop ─ dead in your tracks ─ and think about how you’ll feel tomorrow about the decision you made. Will you feel empowered because you overcame the need to eat, or proud that you kept your “eye on the prize” and focused on losing weight?

Like every decision you make in your weight-loss journey, it’s your call.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!