Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am new here and have some questions about having the revision, for those of you that have had it or are going to.

Why did you choice to go with the RNY/Bypass instead of doing the sleeve? (looking at the post size in here vs the sleeve it appears the sleeve is much more popular for revision of band to sleeve, this forum just over 200 posts vs over 1100 in the band to sleeve forum)

For those of you post op, with still having the stomach there does it still send off the signals of hunger?

If you had to do it over again would you still go with the RNY or would you rethink it?

Was it your doctor that pushed the RNY? (Mine would rather do the RNY than the sleeve as feels I will have more success with weight loss with that and reverse my co morbidities right away)

Which is another question, as I am reading that the weight loss for some has not been that great, what about curing health, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea... How long is it taking to reduce them?

I was banded in 2009, never really worked, lost some weight but gained most of it back all within the first year of having it. Never thought about having a revision, till my PCP talked to me about it earlier this year. First surgeon I saw would not even think about it as everything appears to be working with my band, no slippage, erosion, band still has Fluid, no leakage found etc... Felt defeated, till talking to my PCP again who was very upset that the surgeon would not even consider it so referred me to another and I was hesitant due to what happen with the first one. Now I wish I had done it sooner, she did not even question it and knew right away what she would say to my insurance to get it approved. Warned me not to get upset if denied at first, that usually happens but she would appeal to get it approved.

She said she will do either one, I just have to decided which one. When I started looking into having WLS, when I got my band, I wanted the sleeve at that time and my surgeon vetoed it so I decided to go with the band over the bypass as I really do not want to reroute any of my organs. I just have read a few too many horror stories of complications with the RNY.

So that is why I need some help as I am on the fence, I am leaning more to the sleeve, but I don't want to rule out the RNY till I know a little more...which is what brings me here.

Any help would be great and thank you for reading...sorry so long.

I am newly revised, so I won't be able to answer all of your questions. I had a band placed in January 2004. I lost 90 lbs but then had continuous problems with adjusting, had an infected port, leaky something...and eventually developed reflux. I didn't have a major complication like a slip or erosion either, but I couldn't keep a fill in due to reflux. My dr. didn't really steer me one way or the other, although his nurse seemed to be in favor of the sleeve...talked about how that was what "most people" were doing now. I chose the RNY because of the reflux issue (there can still be refux issues withthe sleeve) and because I wanted the malabsorbtion and dumping to keep me honest. I also wanted to go with the tried and true this time rather than the latest new surgery. I had my surgery one week ago today, so I can't tell you how successful it is, only why I chose it. I can tell you that since surgery, I have had zero real hunger or head hunger. For some that lasts a long time, but not for everyone. Good luck with your choice!

I am going with the RNY. My doctor DOES NOT LIKE the sleeve. He says there is a higher chance of gaining the weight back. I have read that many people say it feels like nothing. That worries me. That was also said about the lap band. That would mean eventually you can outsmart it. It can happen as well with the rny and you can regain. It is a mindset. I also do not like the sleeve. I am not comfortable with them cutting a piece of my stomach out and tossing it in the garbage. No one wants a reversal, but the sleeve is obviously not reversible but rny is.

TY =) have you heard of anyone having any hunger triggers from their empty stomach just hanging there? That is one of my big concerns, since your stomach is still there, unattached, but I would have to assume that it still sends the signals it is empty?

I like the sleeve for the affect that it removes the hunger trigger. I think all of them can be manipulated. I was told by one of the nurse's that they should never approve the band with people that have PCOS like me, it is no affective at all. She said Sleeve would be good if I don't have reflux, which I don't have on a daily bases but I do have some flares every now and then, maybe a few times a year, so don't really think that will be a big deal.

I just don't want to be back in the same boat. I am reading a lot of band to sleeve where some of the weight is coming off but others that it is not. I can't imagine having to do this a 3rd time. I think twice and done, if what ever I choose to have does not work I am done.

Ugh decisions decisions decisions!

My dr would not do a sleeve revision because your cutting through scar tissue and the staples would be in that scar tissue. With the bypass you have a greater chance of healthy tissue to reattach to. I am a month bypass today and have lost 38 pounds. The bypass has saved my life. I have not experienced dumping yet. I have to constantly remind myself to eat because I am not hungry. I wish i would have done bypass in the first place.

I will be having an RNY revision from Lap Band. I initially wanted the sleeve, but due to my severe reflux and damage it has caused, my surgeon said RNY would be the best option for me. My surgery has been rescheduled for November 5th.

I hope it all works out for you :)

I just revised 4 days ago. My head hunger is practically non existent. I have jo stomach hunger yet either. It feels like my stomach use to feel before the band. That is the most refreshing feeling as I was consistently stuck even while unfilled. I'm having pain but I would assume it's due to having to clear scar tissue to rid the band from my body. My surgeon wouldn't do it because he said it would be the same as having the band in as far as little results I've had on the band. I already feel like a failure for the band and I didn't want to do that again with another surgery. The next surgery I ever want to do is augmentation. I can't answer about co morbidity e's since I had none going in to whether surgery, just short and fat which gave me a bmi over 40. I was afraid of the rerouting too but after a year I believe the tiny finger nail hairs in our small intestines get longer, therefore absorbe more nutrients. We are getting in 3/4 ths of the calories we consume now (per my NUT). I hoped I answered some of your questions.

Thank you all...I just found out last week my revision was approved by my insurance for either the bypass or sleeve...I have been having some severe intestinal issues and meeting with a gi Friday and see what he recommends...but as of right now I think I am going with the sleeve, unless he strongly suggests otherwise.

But another question how is there scar tissue on our stomachs? I did not think the band would do that kind of damage...my surgeon really pushed the bypass and I am just worried if I tell her if the sleeve looks like too much scar from band to do the bypass that she will do it without even looking to see...I know not great to think of my surgeon that way but she is the only one that was willing to fight for me to get the band out.

The band did work for me at first I got down to 220 from 310 in less than a year...but then got really depressed and started pushing through the band...got back up to 295 in just a few months =( and since that started working on not doing that and as low as I can get is 275...usually hang around 280...I just keep going back and forth what to do...bypass...sleeve...sleeve...bypass...ugh

At least I am approved...surgery scheduled for 12/4 so I have till a week before to figure it out...sigh

Thank you ask for listening and understanding what I am going through!

I was afraid to do the bypass but my surgeon refused to do the sleeve. I am 8 weeks post op and i am happy. I have had complications bc of all the scarring but would be worse if i had the sleeve. Good luck!

My surgeon also refused the sleeve, the reason being that he felt I would have the same results as the band and he felt that going for the bypass would give me the results I truly needed. He said since my weight loss was so small (approx 20 lbs) that the sleeve would give me similar results. He stressed that losing as much as possible would benefit me and my children. He was willing to give me recommendations to another surgeon who would have done it but since I trusted his judgment and because I was suffering from acid reflux all through the band I chose the bypass.

I was a band to rny revision. I was self pay so for me the #1 reason was I saw the band to sleeve to rny forum and said oh hell no. I am 5 months out and doing awesome. No hunger pains ever I have to actually think to eat. I never feel hunger at all! No issues, no dumping and I eat healthier than I ever had.. Feel free to pm any questions.. Good luck!

Hi there,

I am a band to RNY revision patient. I'm 5 months out. My surgeon didn't think the sleeve would work for me. He said, "Why go from one restrictive procedure to another? You need the malabsorption." My recovery went beautifully and I had no complications. Now, at 5 months out I'm dealing with a few minor issues: had a partial colon blockage (a lot of enemas, Probiotics, and stool softeners fixed that), and am very fatigued. I just don't have the energy I had pre-surgery. And, my anxiety/stress level is much more aggravated than it was pre-surgery; I've had to go way up on my psych meds.

Here is some important information for you:

*I love my bypass and am so glad I chose it.

*I've lost over 65 lbs in 5 months pretty much effortlessly.

*I rarely feel hungry. I take in about 500 - 700 calories a day and have to force myself to eat frequently.

*I have no head hunger.

*My blood pressure has plummeted. Maybe too low, I get dizzy a lot.

*No more snoring/sleep apnea.

*People keep telling me the weight is just falling off.

*My hair is falling out big time.

*I had dumping one time - I apparently cannot tolerate icecream (I don't eat cake/cookies, etc, I stick with sugar free popsicles).

*My tolerance for bullshit has been greatly reduced. Oh wait, I think that is because I'm so dang tired all the time.

All in all, the benefits far outweight the downsides. Now if I could just get some energy back...

Edited by HilaryInRC

Hi there,

I am a band to RNY revision patient. I'm 5 months out. My surgeon didn't think the sleeve would work for me. He said, "Why go from one restrictive procedure to another? You need the malabsorption." My recovery went beautifully and I had no complications. Now, at 5 months out I'm dealing with a few minor issues: had a partial colon blockage (a lot of enemas, Probiotics, and stool softeners fixed that), and am very fatigued. I just don't have the energy I had pre-surgery. And, my anxiety/stress level is much more aggravated than it was pre-surgery; I've had to go way up on my psych meds.

Here is some important information for you:

*I love my bypass and am so glad I chose it.

*I've lost over 65 lbs in 5 months pretty much effortlessly.

*I rarely feel hungry. I take in about 500 - 700 calories a day and have to force myself to eat frequently.

*I have no head hunger.

*My blood pressure has plummeted. Maybe too low, I get dizzy a lot.

*No more snoring/sleep apnea.

*People keep telling me the weight is just falling off.

*My hair is falling out big time.

*I had dumping one time - I apparently cannot tolerate icecream (I don't eat cake/cookies, etc, I stick with sugar free popsicles).

*My tolerance for bullshit has been greatly reduced. Oh wait, I think that is because I'm so dang tired all the time.

All in all, the benefits far outweight the downsides. Now if I could just get some energy back...

We are about the same time out but I have tons of energy. I'm 16 pounds from a normal bmi and I take 5000 mg of Biotin a day and my hair is thicker and nails are growing like wildfire! Are you sure you aren't anemic? I found out I was and with Iron infusions I'm back to my high energy self. Still love my rny! My profile pic was taken last night. Feeling great and I feel like I look great. Hope you are back to high energy soon!