Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden ability to eat more... A lot more

It seems the past two weeks I've been able to eat alot more. I don't have any issues with pain, acid reflux, or anything else. I still have restriction--I've been able to drink more Water, I've had less PB episodes. My band tends to be influenced by hormones, weather, etc. And maybe the weather changes to fall are causing this feeling. Do you pros think that I should have any reason for concern? My last adjustment was November 2013, and I just saw my surgeon 2 weeks ago for my 1.5 year checkup. Other than ordering a nutritional panel for blood work, he said see you in 6 months.

I just have irrational fear of slippage, erosion, etc.

It's hard to assume what you may be experiencing....you have only been banded 1-1/2 years? Don't know how much is in your band...are you one to rely on your hard works and discipline or are you one that depends upon the band to do most of the work?.....

There is much that can be happening, including another fill.....again, don't know where you are at with the band.....

For ME, I have been in the Green Zone for about 3 years now, have not needed a fill in about the same amount of time.....I am done loosing weight. I know my band very well, and can pick up on any slight variations,,,which everyone can and will do given time.

The are normal cycles when all of a sudden I realize I am eating more than usual....because I know and expect what the band will limit me to per meal, and can predict what I will not be able to finish....then amazed I actually ate as much as I did with little or no effort.....

For ME, I believe this happens from normal dilation of my pouch....it is still the stomach and is designed to stretch....permanently if we continue to eat too much...(beer belly)

So I will go all liquids for 2-3 days, every 6 weeks or so...NO solid foods at all....give everything a rest.......this will, again for ME, return my pouch to it's normal healthy state, returning the restriction, Portion Control that I am used to experiencing every day....plus it is good practice against erosion, etc...

I have found it interesting that when someone goes to their dr. with a dilated pouch, possible slippage, etc., the first thing the Dr. does is give a complete un-fill....to give the band/pouch a rest and let everything "re-set" itself.

Some people call this the 5 day pouch test...why, I'll never understand....

But again, I do not know where you are at with the band.....doing something like the 5 day pouch test will never give a person something they never had in the first place, only return them (hopefully) to a place they were....

So give it a try...can't hurt...nothing but Protein shakes, Soups, etc for a few days....nothing you have to chew...see what happens? An experiment?

Edited by B-52

Thanks for the advice. I am at 6.5cc in a 10cc band. I do my best to work it with compliance, but I usually get a stop signal from the band...usually a burp. I did try the pouch test a few weeks ago and failed miserable...but maybe I should give it another shot. Thanks again! I'll let you know if anything changes!

So I don't know why I was worried. Ive had perfect restriction the past two days... Not tight, not loose...just there. No uncontrolled eating. No grazing. Probably the weather changes.

So today I went to the Dr. b/c I went from just right to too tight. I had about 7cc in a 10cc band since July. I have been doing great, and suddenly after a few extreme things. Car accident, medications and getting sick...my band was too tight. I did what B52 does, went to liquids only in the hope that the swelling would subside and I would be OK. Then yesterday one sip of Water and a hiccup and it went flying out and I nearly choked on it.

This morning I couldn't swallow my own saliva and that is just too tight, I knew there was an issue I got myself right to the Dr. at 8 am this morning.

After barium swallow it showed the pouch was dilated. They removed 5cc of Fluid and put me on a full liquid diet for 3 weeks.

They did this because they want the pouch to rest from all the stress on it shrink back. Think of a ring that's too tight on your finger, the longer you leave it there your finger doesn't shrink, it just continues to swell as the blood pools above the constriction. It's the same for your stomach and your band. Not just from the volume of food or Water in the pouch but from your own body fluids, blood, stomach acids, enzymes and blood.

Don't mess with it, if you are too tight and it's not right go to the Dr. and if they suggest and un-fill don't fight it. I'd rather have the ring cut off then my finger....just as I'd rather have my band unfilled then have it slip or prolapse and need more surgery.

Lisa, great analogy with the ring on a finger. Good visual.

What is the "pouch test"... I had an un-fill completely for my one year check. I was in the green zone prior to it. Now I feel like I am starting all over again. It is discouraging. Any thoughts? I have already had to go for 2 fills and still am not feeling much restriction.

I had the same issue many times...my restriction always came back...people talk about slipping so much on these forums it freaks people out...stop it fellow banders

Has anyone ever lost Fluid from their band, I had 7.5 cc in my band and went for a fill this week the nurse could only pull back 2 cc, had a barium swallow the next day, the band looked fine, not much restriction so she filled me with 3 cc, she said I don't have a leak but I still don't have much restriction. Surgery was July 2014, have lost 26lbs, but eating to much now.

Unbroken40, why did they do a complete unfill if you were in your green zone? Confused.

So I did end up getting a small 1cc unfill two weeks ago. I had a severe upper resp infection that required antibiotics and prednisone to get over. Prior to that, I hadn't been able to eat solid food, sleep due to constant vomiting ever time I laid down, and inability to breath. Now I can eat like a racehorse. Scheduled an appt for 11/19 for a hopefully fill to get some restriction back.

I'm in the same spot right now as well. I had to have a bit out, even when he gave me a cup of Water, we both realized the band was pretty open. Since then, I still eat my small portions, but with in hour and a half, I am HUNGRY. I find myself grazing on crackers. Water water water.... I will be happy to get back to where I was. I can't wait- but have to. Arrrrgh!!

Fatrabbit, I love the name!!

Yep, I think it's time for a booster for me

My PA told me that if my band slipped, I'd know it! It's painful, he said.