Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much would I lose

Hi,

I have my gastric sleeve scheduled but I want to know how much weight approximately I will lose after the surgery.

My current weight is 170 lbs.

I'm 5'4".

My desired weight is 125 lbs.

thanks!

Edited by farfalla_8

My doctor said the avg weight loss for a sleeve patient is 60% of their excess body weight.

I don't even ....

There are really too many variables for anyone on here to be able to tell you the answer. Some are in your control.....what and how much you eat, how much you drink and how you excersise. Others you can't control....your metabolism, any underlying disease processes, how you heal, complications /side effects. I'm assuming you must have health issues because you are having WLS with such a low BMI. Have you talked to your surgeon about how these may impact your weight loss?

Really all you can do is follow the plan and commit to your new lifestyle. And be happy with whatever results you get. Also remember you are starting at a much lower BMI than most people that have VSG, (your starting at what some people have as their goal weight), so don't get frustrated if you lose slower than others on here.

Good luck!

Edited by Kindle

@@farfalla_8, The amount of weight you lose depends directly on how much you are into this weight loss thing. It's way more mental than physical. If you want to stick to the diet and exercise, your weight loss will be limitless. If you want to cheat and sit on the couch watching tv, it will be slow and painful... it's really up to you. Everyone is different and age, metabolism and life style are big factors so you can't judge what you will do by what someone else is doing. Do what your doctor says, follow the plan and whatever you want to lose will be within your grasp. Good luck to you.

There's a calculator on this site that might help you guestimate it, but there is absolutely no way to know for sure. There are far too many factors involved to some up with an accurate number.

https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results/comparison

Hi Guys,

I do have have a health history that made me a candidate for surgery, but I don't want to go into detail because it makes me feel worried and mostly sad when I talk about it.....

thank you @@JamieLogical this website is really helpful.....

There's a calculator on this site that might help you guestimate it, but there is absolutely no way to know for sure. There are far too many factors involved to some up with an accurate number.

https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results/comparison

That website was helpful. In fact it says I have a 20% chance of losing 116 pounds by the 12 month mark. I already lost 109 pounds and I'm on the 9 month mark. Surely 7 more lbs is doable. :)

The amount you lose is up to you. I call BS on the 60% stuff. Everyone I know personally who has been sleeved has lost almost all of their excess body weight if not all. Your results are completely up to you. Stick to plan, move your body and don't get frustrated by the stalls or your rate of loss and you will lose every pound you want to lose. Good luck to you!

Well according to this have already beat the 80% odds at 3 months out from sleeve

Maybe I should go to Vegas.

Good luck all

Hi,

I have my gastric sleeve scheduled but I want to know how much weight approximately I will lose after the surgery.

My current weight is 170 lbs.

I'm 5'4".

My desired weight is 125 lbs.

thanks!

You already have a low BMI so weight loss will most likely be at a slower rate than if you had a much higher BMI. If you follow Dr orders and work the plan you will more likely meet your goal weight at about 6 months post op. Don't worry about slow weight loss, for low bmi that is probably best.

Hi Guys,

I do have have a health history that made me a candidate for surgery, but I don't want to go into detail because it makes me feel worried and mostly sad when I talk about it.....

thank you @@JamieLogical this website is really helpful.....

I also had surgery for health reasons and I began with a low BMI. I too am 5' 4" goal weight 125. I am 3 months post op and 25 lbs from my goal weight.

It's going to be a great journey! Best wishes!