Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First doctors visit coming soon!

Hey ya'll my name is Tamicia and this is my very first forum topic post. I'm from Louisiana and I'm participating in a study offered by the Office of Group Benefits called Heads Up that's administered through Pennington Biomedical Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The purpose of the study is to see if weight loss surgery should be covered by our insurance and to see if it will save them on medical expenses in the long hall. I have just been approved by the program to have Gastric Sleeve and my first surgeon appointment is September 29th I'm so excited I need to ask a favor if you to give me some important questions I should bring up for my visits. I have a few in mind but I want to ask everything I possibly can. Thanks in advance.

Welcome and congrats on your selection to the trial program! I asked how many procedures he had done, what the follow up appointments were like (I wanted a regular follow up for accountability). I also wanted a surgeon who had a "team" he has a nutritionist, heart dr and psych all in a team approach (it is a university teaching hospital). Last thing I'll say is trust your gut...if it doesn't seem like you will get the su you want look elsewhere. Part of why I chose the surgeon I did is that he is a rather blunt, no nonsense dude....Some people want someone who is more of a hand holder...but I wanted someone more straight forward.

most common complication(s)

complication rates

mortality rate

how many procedures performed

aftercare programs

realistic goals

pre-op requirements

post-op requirements

usual amount of time off work

usual length of hospital stay

there are a few off the top of my head

Edited by Sleevarilla

Wow! This is great.

Congrats Lovelytrl!! I agree with the list above offered by Sleevarilla. I also suggest asking about the kind of access you will have to the office staff. For example, @ my surgeon's I will be able to communicate with the nutritionist and nurses anytime I need to. They also offer post-op support groups.

I didn't have to ask because my surgeon openly shared in a group meeting:

Track record,

Complication rates,

What to expect, and

Process.

He described the surgical procedure in great detail.

But most importantly he taled about what leads to best outcomes/success for patients and why. He was very frank about possible complications and how to prevent them.

He spent a great deal of time explaining the prep,surgery and follow up and what patients needed to do to be successful.

I think the only thing I asked that he didn't bring up first was about his education, mostly because. I am in higher ed and that interests me.

Welcome. I'm in Baton Rouge as well. I'm usu g Dr. Jonathan Taylor at the Baton Rouge Clinic and will be sleeved on October 6 th at the General.

Welcome. I'm from Baton Rouge. I have my first consultation October 3. Not sure which surgery I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards the sleeve.

Thanks to everyone for amazing output. These questions will help! I will keep you updated as I approach this new journey in my life. I'm so excited!!!????

I have my first meeting with a surgeon in November. I have had a friend do the surgery last month, so I sort of followed her in her walk. Another thing you may want to know is if the hospital or surgeon's group offer any life classes POST OP. Mine here in Alabama doesn't, but another hospital does if I am willing to pay for it since I was not originally their patient. Some of these classes were with the "diet coach" others were exercise groups or even a bible study held with the hospital chaplen followed by a support group. There are many options out there, you just need to ask. Good luck on your journey!

I have my first meeting with a surgeon in November. I have had a friend do the surgery last month, so I sort of followed her in her walk. Another thing you may want to know is if the hospital or surgeon's group offer any life classes POST OP. Mine here in Alabama doesn't, but another hospital does if I am willing to pay for it since I was not originally their patient. Some of these classes were with the "diet coach" others were exercise groups or even a bible study held with the hospital chaplen followed by a support group. There are many options out there, you just need to ask. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks I will be sure to ask about the different programs. September 29th seems to be taking forever.

The closer it comes the longer it seems to take.

I know right!

I have my first appointment today with the surgeon, psych and nutritionist. I have been making a list of questions in my phone's notepad. Sometimes I think of something on-the-go and I jot it down. I think the more you read the forums the more things you think of. I've asked a lot of questions to my insurance company, have watched instructional videos and have read a lot of information on the "patient resources" page of the facility I'm using. A lot of my questions have already been answered but those have been helpful! Good luck to you!

I have my first appointment today with the surgeon, psych and nutritionist. I have been making a list of questions in my phone's notepad. Sometimes I think of something on-the-go and I jot it down. I think the more you read the forums the more things you think of. I've asked a lot of questions to my insurance company, have watched instructional videos and have read a lot of information on the "patient resources" page of the facility I'm using. A lot of my questions have already been answered but those have been helpful! Good luck to you!

Thanks and good luck to you on your vist today.