Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Vet Diets

I am 11 days out and at this point - 25 days of liquids and a lot of pain - it's difficult to imagine ever eating again. Can some of you successful veterans tell me what an average day's meals consist of for you? All I hear is eat a few small bites, sip throughout the day.

I'm 10 months out...Here's a typical day for me.

1/2 of a Protein shake before hot yoga

mid-moring, my Breakfast is usually 1 scrambled egg topped w/ cheese and a Jimmy Dean turkey sausage pattie

for lunch, a tortilla shell pizza - 1 carb balance tortilla shell, spread some BBQ Sauce and top with diced turkey and mozzarella cheese and peppers and onions I always have in the fridge - I usually eat about 3/4 of this

dinner - 1/2 of a hamburger pattie topped w/ cheddar cheese and a couple of bites of cooked veggies or baked Beans

Snacks would be some beef Jerky and almonds or a Protein Bar. I also have a couple of cups of coffee w/ milk every day.

I know this early out you think your life will never get back to normal or how can you subside on such little food. At 10 months out, I feel perfectly normal. This is my new normal - I feel less and less like a weight loss surgery patient as the weeks go by.

For you, in the meantime...Be patient. Know that the next few months aren't going to be easy, but they will get easier. You're going to do great!

9 months out. Been below goal for 2 months. I have a 32oz 30-40g protein/10g Fiber smoothie everyday, usually late morning or mid afternoon. Pretty normal meals....eggs, pancakes, sausage, high Protein Cereal, yogurt, etc for Breakfast. I'm on the road all day so I snack on nuts, Jerky, and Protein Bars during the day rather than eat an actual lunch. In the evening I usually have 2 dinners, one high in Protein and one may be all veggies. And I eat pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for. Then maybe a snack (usually fruit) or just some Sleepytime tea at bedtime.

Today was a little different because I was at a fund raising event. coffee, then a Protein Bar for breakfast. Drank my protein smoothie throughout the day. Had a chili dog loaded with cheese and onions (no bun), corn bread, and Mac and cheese for a late lunch (a couple bites of each thing). Also managed to drink a Mikes Hard Lemonade after letting it sit on ice and defizz. Had more of the chili dog and Mac and cheese when I got home (and I still have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow). Drank 16oz of Water after dinner, Just snacked on some mixed nuts and craisins and I will have some tea before going to bed. This was definitely a carb heavy day, but I've been trying to stop losing for a couple weeks and I'm experimenting at this point.

So I'd say I basically just eat like a normal thin person.

Edited by Kindle

I eat pretty normal now, at about 4 months out. I mix up two Protein shakes in the morning and drink 1/3 for breakfast, 1/3 sometime in the day (before the gym, if I go), and 1/3 in the evening (after the gym, if I've gone). For lunch I'll make a sandwich on a piece of Protein bread with tofurky deli slices and cheddar. I'll usually eat half and have the other half for an afternoon snack. For dinner if I go out, I'll have something like a miso Soup or a curry. If I'm home, I keep it light - maybe just some almonds or spicy lentils. If I want something sweet, I'll make casein pudding (check out some youtube video tutorials - lots of protein, and really tastes like pudding, especially if you mix in some raw unsweetened cocoa powder). If I snack during the day, I'll have a cube or two of parmesan or some roasted soybeans.

I find I don't have trouble hitting like 110g of protein a day (and no meat!) and I get in all my Water too. I realize I've had it easier than some though.

I'm 10 months out...Here's a typical day for me.

1/2 of a Protein shake before hot yoga

mid-moring, my breakfast is usually 1 scrambled egg topped w/ cheese and a Jimmy Dean turkey sausage pattie

for lunch, a tortilla shell pizza - 1 carb balance tortilla shell, spread some BBQ Sauce and top with diced turkey and mozzarella cheese and peppers and onions I always have in the fridge - I usually eat about 3/4 of this

dinner - 1/2 of a hamburger pattie topped w/ cheddar cheese and a couple of bites of cooked veggies or baked Beans

Snacks would be some beef Jerky and almonds or a Protein bar. I also have a couple of cups of coffee w/ milk every day.

I know this early out you think your life will never get back to normal or how can you subside on such little food. At 10 months out, I feel perfectly normal. This is my new normal - I feel less and less like a weight loss surgery patient as the weeks go by.

For you, in the meantime...Be patient. Know that the next few months aren't going to be easy, but they will get easier. You're going to do great!

Where do you get the 1 carb tortillas? What brand? That pizza sounds AMAZING!!

as of 10/16/14 it will be a year since my sleeve surgery , i am having such a hard time getting my protein/and Water intake i feel like im falling into

past habits,although i try to stay away from pastas,breads,i feel hungry all the time, and with Protein shakes i wanted to start back on my 100% pure whey Protein, should that be my first thing in the morning,i do exercise,zumba toning which i love (but only 1 night a week) life seems to be getting to busy again i dont wnt to fail please any advise is greatly appreciated

you really need to avoid all simple carbs (sugar/bread/rice/potatoes/pasta) and severely limit starchy veggies, a bite or two rarely. As carbs will increase cravings and likelihood of falling into old habits. My NUT told me to avoid anything but lean/FF Proteins until I was reaching my 80gm per day. This took 18 months.

Good sources of Protein are:

Egg substitute (It's pasteurized so can even be used in shakes)

Lean meats

fish

FF Greek yogurt, plain or no sugar added. (plain is good with Splenda and cocoa or various extracts)

FF Ricotta or cottage cheese ( I have a yummy cannoli cream recipe or ricotta can be seasoned as if for stuffed shells and topped with low carb sauce)

93% lean ground beef or turkey (I have a recipe for Italian sausage that can be used for burgers, pizza crust or any other place you may use Italian sausage)

low fat or fat free, low sodium deli meat (turkey/chicken/ham or roast beef)

tuna

etc....

From the vets, I'm hearing:

* High Protein

* A wide variety of foods (not same old, same old every day)

* Redefining "normal eating" to mean "like a normal, thin person" (not how we used to eat)

Thanks, all of you. You're very kind to respond to this thread.

@TheRealMeIsHere! Thank you for your information do u think i should start my day off with Protein shake because its usually a bould of plain shredded wheat and coffee or should it be trial and error i know i should have this down by now i did loose 70lbs but still have some to go thanks again

yes, that would be better, or yogurt, egg beaters, etc.... anything high in Protein, low in carbs/fat. You should not be having the Cereal at all, it will make you hungrier and create cravings.

And liquid and solids should be eaten 15-30 minutes apart, not together, as that can also make you hungrier because the food will pass through quicker. so no liquids 15-30 minutes before or after eating. My NUT also advised that cereal/milk or Soup should be avoided, as it breaks that rule. If eating soup, I was told to eat the solids and broth seperately

@TheRealMeIsHere! Thank you for your information do u think i should start my day off with Protein Shake because its usually a bould of plain shredded wheat and coffee or should it be trial and error i know i should have this down by now i did loose 70lbs but still have some to go thanks again

Dense Proteins are going to leave you feeling satisfied/full the longest. Although the shakes are good for helping us meet Protein and fluid goals, they will not really help with hunger. Any liquid just runs right through our sleeves, leaving an empty stomach behind. Newbies on their liquid postop diets are always freaked out that they still feel hungry. This changes as soon as they start eating solids.

When you get hungry you should turn first to things like meat, Beans, eggs, Protein Bars, nuts, cheese, soy nuts, and other solid, dense protein foods. Remember the basics....protein first, don't drink with meals and at least 64oz Water everyday. I believe in a complete, balanced diet including veggies, fruit and whole grains, but protein is always a priority. And personally I never limited my fat intake. I use 2% milk to make my shakes. I eat full fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt and a lot of nuts, cheese and avocados. Never seemed to affect my weight loss. Processed carbs are really the only thing I try to avoid, but certainly haven't banned completely.

Edited by Kindle

Where do you get the 1 carb tortillas? What brand? That pizza sounds AMAZING!!

@TheRealMelsIsHere, it's one Mission Carb Balance Tortilla shell. Sorry! I think there are 4 or 6 net carbs.

Couldn't agree more with @@Kindle!

I really don't "ban" anything any more...I just don't like many process foods any more. bread? Doesn't make me feel wonderful, so I don't eat it often. I might order a 6" Subway sandwich or a Jimmy Johns and take a couple of bits w/ the bread. Then I just eat the insides and I'm perfectly happy. I might have a couple of bites of Pizza Crust (only if it's wonderful crust - if it's marginal, I won't eat it), then I eat the toppings. Pasta, which used to be a staple in my diet, rarely touch it any more and I don't crave it like I used to.

I also rarely used the reduced fat stuff - we eat so little and our bodies need good fats. I cook with olive oil, am known to used butter sometimes and will use real sour cream.

I've dieted or thought about my weight since I was 17 years old and I'll be 45 this week...that's a long time to be on a diet. I've pulled that shift and am done - I know focus on living as healthy as I can today.

I eat everything I used to eat with the exception of moderation. I stay away from all white foods, no alchohol reduced fats except for nuts and avacado and olive oil. I stay mostly with chicken fish and veggies. One Protein Shake for breakfast in the morning made with almond milk, followed by a mid afternoon and mid afternoon Protein bar. I still only eat around 1300 calories a day and up to 90 grams of carbs.

There are lots of good thoughts here. My comments will not be a lot different. At 9 months post surgery I am eating 1200 calories a day and I eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks each day. I start most mornings with a Protein Shake. lunch foods vary; low carb wraps with deli meat, or grilled chicken, small salads with chicken or tuna. dinner is always a dense Protein and some vegetables. Snacks are yogurt, Jerky, Peanut Butter, almonds and many times a Quest Protein Bar.

I think one of the things that has helped me is focusing on dense protein at meal time. It is really important to feel satisfied after meals, so you are not grazing or constantly looking for something to eat. I try to go 3-4 hours on a meal. The snacks help bridge the gap between meals or when I might need energy for exercise or activity. I have chosen not to eat Pasta, rice, most all breads (except for the previously mentioned low carb wraps) and white potato.