Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Young and Sleeved: My Journey

I've struggled with my weight since the 2nd grade. Always been very active, but I had always comforted myself with food. Being totally honest, I'm in my 20s, so a lot of my calories came from alcohol too. I decided to have surgery when it became difficult to bend over and put on my shows because my stomach was in the way. Something small and simple, but it bothered me.

In January 2014, at the age of 28, I began the process to get my gastric sleeve surgery. I had to go through several visits with my surgeon's office and three visits at the hospital. Finally, my surgery date arrived on April 8th.

I had the gastric sleeve surgery, hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. Before going in to surgery, the anesthesiologist warned me that being young and female, the nausea caused by the anesthesia would be very rough when I woke up.

Next thing I know, I'm waking up with such debilitating nausea, I don't know how I'm going to make it. The first 6 hours were horrible because of the nausea. I didn't even want to open my mouth to talk. The only pain I felt was from the gallbladder removal. The nurse said they have to stretch a muscle really far when they remove the gallbladder and it felt like I was ripping that muscle in half every time I moved. The nurses encouraged me to walk, but I didn't until that first 6 hours of nausea passed. Then, my mom and boyfriend took turns helping me walk the halls every two hours. The toughest thing was blowing into the spirometer the tech gave me so that I wouldn't get pneumonia. It felt like I was ripping out my staples when I took deep breaths in order to blow enough air into the spirometer.

After 8 hours, they gave me juice and Water to drink and it wasn't difficult for me to drink at all. They gave me all of my antibiotics intravenously, so they only sent me home with nausea meds and the spirometer. I had picked up my prescription liquid painkillers the week before.

I ordered ready to drink bottles of clear Isopure Protein Drinks ahead of time, so I drank those, along with water the first week. I ate sugar free Popsicles and chicken broth with Cajun spices mixed into it. I alternated between taking liquid Tylenol and prescription pain meds. The most difficult part of recovery was getting in and out of bed because of the pain from the gallbladder surgery.

I was only off work for a week, but I should've taken off for two weeks. I'm a pediatric speech and feeding therapist, and I spend most of my day on the floor with infants and toddlers. My staples began to loosen and push out and get caught on my clothing. Everything was fine once the staples were removed 10 days post op.

Taking all of my chewable vitamins (multi, fish oil. B12, Calcium and D) was difficult the first month and finding Protein sources that I liked was difficult. I have only thrown up one time since having surgery because I did physical activity too quickly after eating. I had horrible diarrhea from having my gallbladder removed, but that stopped after my nurse recommended drinking an ounce of blackberry juice each morning.

Now, It's been over 5 months and I have no pain or regrets. I still take chewable Vitamins (they're absorbed better than capsules and pills) every morning. If I dont take them, I get very sluggish by midday. I drink a GNC ready-to-drink lean shake in the car on the way to work each day and I have a Quest Bar for lunch. I eat a snack after work (usually edamame or tuna) and a 4 portion of whatever I cook my boyfriend for dinner. I feel sluggish if I don't get at least 60g of protein each day. I've never had a problem with getting my liquids in, so I drink 64 oz of water and unsweet tea each day.

I walk on the treadmill or do strength training activities 3-5 times a week. I'm 5'1" and started out at 212 lbs. After 5 months, I'm down 50 lbs! My arms, legs and chin area look great. I do have some extra skin on my stomach, but it's not too terrible. My breast will need to be repaired. I was a 42D, so they're sagging and feel empty and flat. My butt isn't sagging, but it's flat too. I think squats will suffice in that area though. I used Bio Oil for the surgery scars. They've faded a lot, but can still be seen. After I'm finished having children, I'll go in for breast augmentation and a Tummy Tuck. My hair began falling out last month, but I can tell it's not falling out as much now. I know it will thicken up again and I've taken Biotin chewables for the past 4 months.

I feel like I look great in my clothes and I know I'll look great out of them one day. I've got 32 lbs left to get to my goal, and I know I can do it. Weightloss stalls some weeks, but I still lose inches. I was a size 17 to 19 in April, and I'm already down to a 9 in September. I'm getting married next April and I can't wait to see how small I'll be when its time to shop for dresses!

what an awesome story! I've started my journey in early september. i'm 48 and i've been heavy all my life. I'm tired of the yo-yo diets, weight gain and loss...i'm ready for the real me to come out....

By the way I'm sure you will make a gorgeous bride.... :D

Hi Nicole925. I'm so glad you posted. Our journey sounds similar. I am 37 years old. I was also sleeved and had my gallbladder removed on April 8th. I feel you about the nausea after surgery. The narcotic pain meds were too strong for me. I wasn't able to walk until the next day because I couldn't wake up from the anesthesia and when I did I couldn't stand up too long because of the nausea. I ended up needing a pain patch and a nausea patch for the rest of my hospital stay (2 days). I was lucky to not have any pain other than gas pain after the 3rd day.

My weight on the day of surgery was 207 but my pre-op weight was 219. I had my 6 mo (24 week) check up today and my surgeon was very pleased. I'm down a total of 63 lbs (51 lbs from SW) with 30 more to go until I reach goal. We talked about the possibility of plastic surgery because my boobs are hanging flapjacks (lol) and my tummy bears most of my weight.

I'm so proud of the both of us! I wish you all the best on the test of your journey.

Edited by missbrown30