Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions for calcium supplements?

I cannot find one that I can tolerate. I go to look for a new one in the store and I get overwhelmed. My NUT says I can take two flint stones complete Vitamins and I am doing good on those just need to start getting the Calcium in.

I still get heartburn often, so I use quite a bit of Tums. I figure I get the the Calcium benefit along with the re-flux relief.

Remember you need calcium citrate not Calcium carbonate. Tums, rolaids and other chewable antacids are not calcium citrate. Most of the calcium chews and gummies found in Walmart, CVS, etc. are calcium carbonate.

I used to take the Bariatric Advantage caramel and Calcet Creamy chocolate bites but they are pricey and I developed an aversion to them...the taste started to make me sick and give me reflux. I just choke down the tablets now.

My NUT was pushing calcium citrate. I talked to my surgeon and he told me to just get the Calcium carbonate. Said since I wasn't doing a bypass the Citrate wasn't as important as just getting in some type of Calcium. So, I've been taking some Walmart chocolate chewables 2x daily.

Kirkland calcium chews sugar free at costco. They are pretty good! I love chocolate, so it is almost like a little sweet treat 3 times a day. :)

Everyone had great suggestions, but I also want to add that it is important to do regular bloodwork (every 6-12 months) including Vitamin levels to assess what supplements you actually need. Everything was normal in my 3 month labs, but my Calcium and Iron were actually high at 6 months post. So I stopped taking the calcium and iron supplements. I will reevaluate at 12 months post and adjust my supplements accordingly. It's not always a one size fits all kind if thing.

I'm taking 2 chewables a day of Caltrate (Calcium and Vitamin D3 Supplement).

Each chewable pill contains:

Vitamin D3 800 i.u. (200% DV)

Calcium 600 mg. (60% DV)

Magnesium 40 mg. (10% DV)

Zinc 7 mg. (50% DV)

Copper 0.25 mg. (13% DV)

Manganese 1.8 mg (90%)

Agree 100% with Kindle about getting blood work up done. I keep a regular schedule with PCP plus the bariatric appointments. All recommendations might not work same for everyone's body.

Also think VsgAnn2014 and I are taking the same Calcium supplement. I can't start back on mine until 7 days out, but they are a good, easy supplement to take.

I take the Kirkland SF ones from costco also. They have chocolate or caramel...I love the caramel, you almost forget they are a supplement because they taste just like a caramel chew!!