Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctors weight loss goal at 5'7" (female)?

I saw my NUT and psych yesterday and began my 2+ weeks pre-op diet. During psych visit t

He asked me what my weight loss goal was which is 90lbs. I am 5'7 currently at 240 and would like to be about 150. He suggested that his expected weight loss given my stats would only be between 55-65 lbs bringing me down to between 180-190. I am having RNY. I know everyone has a different loss rate/pattern but wondering if anyone in the 5'7 height range can share their weight loss experiences. I want to keep my expectations realistic but I also want to achieve the best goals I can.

Hi C power100 I just got my approval two weeks ago and my surgery is November the 4th. From my very first visit to the surgeon's office my BMI was 38 and my ideal weight was 154. So my goal weight is 154 which would probably put me in about a size 8. They never said anything to me about losing just 50 or 65 percent of my weight. So if I make it to 165 I'll be happy cuz thats how much I weighed when I got married and I was a size 10 12 so that's my personal goal

I am male, 5'6 and had my RNY 16 months ago. I began at 260 pounds. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 90 pounds post-op. My current weight is 150 pounds. I am currently 66 years old. I think your weight loss goal is achievable.

Edited by James Marusek

I'm 5'3 and my doctor's goal for me is 150. My personal goal is 130. I think I would be happy anywhere in between.

Best of luck to you!

Carol

here is a tool that I found very helpful on realistic weight loss expectation: https://www.realize.com/do-i-qualify/potential-results

I'm 5'7" and 70 years old. When I started my weight was 229. Surgery (RNY) was 11/19/13. 10 months later I now weigh 160.5. My goal was 150 also. My surgeon thinks that is reasonable. My Dr thinks I should be at 160 by 2015. I find that at 10 months, I am not quite as motivated as I was in the beginning. I also injured my back 2 weeks after my operation and because of my age, I am now experiencing quite a bit of back problems. This has led me to do very little exercise. Exercise is so important and helps so much in your weight loss. Keep your goal in mind, track your food, take your Vitamins and get your fluids and Protein in every day. I am going to make a harder push before my one year anniversary, because after that you don't lose that much more. Your body sort of tells you where it wants to be. I am extremely happy at 160. Even my drivers license says 180 and I always lied on that. IT HAS not been updated in over 20+ years I bet.

I'm 5'7" and my original weight was 264; now at personal goal of 180-190. Goal per my PCP is about 150-160 for "medium" frame. I haven't been that small since high school - if even then!

I know that it is possible, but I am also at an age that I am comfortable with being able to eat (mostly) what I want and still be "healthy"...I don't HAVE to be as "thin" as a high-schooler...just a healthy BMI!

If you want it, it IS achievable...but 180-190 is a reasonably healthy weight/BMI and would be enough to reduce many of your health risks due to obesity.

It's just a matter of what is more important to YOU! Best wishes on your journey!!

@@cpower100

I used to be around 5'9", but I think am now around 5'7" due to back problems and age. We all wear our weight differently.

Some thought because of my weight distribution, I was being too radical having the surgery. My goal is to weigh around 145-150. Because I'm older, I cannot get down to the 130 pounds I used to weigh after having my children. I think I'd look like a refugee, (no offense intended). I just had the surgery four days ago, so I hope I don't get discouraged if my weight doesn't fly off like I'm expecting it to. I did have diabetes type 2, but my blood sugar this morning was 87. Whoohoo,that's a positive.

Anyway, would love you to stay in touch, and travel this road with me.

Hugs

I am 5'7" and started at 232 lbs. I lost 9 lbs. pre-surgery to 223 lbs.

My surgeon said my weight should be 130 lbs., but to expect to expect to lose 60 - 70% of my extra wt (or 60 - 70 lbs). His goal for me was 170 lbs., which I met at 6 mos. my original goal was 160 lbs. and, when I went past that, I set it at 150 lbs. I am within 6 lbs. of that now.

Everyone is different. I think the best goal is to follow the program.

Edited by Texasmeg

The weight ranges here are interesting. I am 5'7" and I had one surgeon tell me my goal should be 135 and I have had another surgeon tell me my goal should be 165, so I am sticking with my personal goal of 150. I was 150 when I got married 27 years ago so I think that is good enough for me.

My surgeon does not set weight goals but what stats say one should lose, my surgery weight was 265 I am now 195 at 10 months out that is pretty much all the surgery is going to do for me now the rest is up to me, this is where the surgery is just a tool part comes in :-)

I am 5'7". I started at 265.6 when I had my surgery on May 20, 2013. I weighed this morning I am 151.4. You will lose as much as you want to. Remember the surgery is just a tool, how you use it and how far you go is up to you. I think Drs. Say that so if people don't lose a lot they won't be disappointed. Good luck and don't give up. It will happen..