Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! New to this app, and loving it already. I just started my journey towards getting the sleeve done. I'm only 21 years old, and feel like im 90! Always so tired and feeling bad about myself. I wanted a change not only for me but for my 8 month old daughter, so after thinking about this for a long year I decided to go through with it. If anyone has cigna please, help me figure this out. When I origionally called, they said I had to wait 6 months, and then they said 3, im afraid that i'm getting my hopes up for 3 and then they will say that I need to wait and do another 3, i'll be devasted. Also, how long did it take you guys to get approved? Thanks so much for listening, I appreciate your help! :) xoxo

It all depends on your particular policy. I have CIGNA, and I had to undergo 89+ days (3 months) of being under a doctor-supervised weight loss regimen. I think most CIGNA policies are 3 months, but some do vary. If you are getting two different answers, I would call again and make sure. I would also have your clinic call and verify, which they should do anyway.

Once I met all their requirements (doctor visits, nutritionist visits, psychiatrist, exercise evaluation, etc.), my paperwork was submitted, and I was approved within three business days. However, I have heard of some policies taking up to a month to make a decision.

Good luck to you!!

I have Cigna OAP and was just approved last week. Cigna's policy as of 05/14 requires 3 months of visits = or > 89 days. Each visit must document your weight, specific diet program, and your current exercise régime. Cigna's wording says 3 months of visits but remember that actually works out to be 4 visits because you need an initial appointment to start the "weight loss program". Google Cigna policy 0051 effective 05/15/2014 https://cignaforhcp.cigna.com/public/content/pdf/coveragePolicies/medical/mm_0051_coveragepositioncriteria_bariatric_surgery.pdf

Print this policy out and bring it with you to your weight loss documentation visits to make sure the visits are documented to meet Cigna's requirements.

Make sure you also call Cigna to verify your specific policy covers bariatric surgery.

Lastly, if your procedure is scheduled to be done as an inpatient procedure Cigna has a 5 business day decision timeline from the date they receive the necessary documents. I just got my approval on Thursday and they took the full 5 business days.

Cigna can be a pain sometimes, but as long as you read the policy guidelines and check off your boxes you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck on your journey and make sure you use this time getting ready for surgery to make changes in your lifestyle that will help you after surgery!

Hi there! I have Cigna and am going through True Results. They do make u jump through some hoops. My paper work was submitted last month and I'm still waiting to see if I'm approved or not. I should hear something no later than the 10th of April. Good Luck! And hang in there.