Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have a problem with beef?

I am 8 weeks post surgery and whenever I have tried to eat anything beef I get in a bad way. Either a really bad stomachache or severe nausea.

It doesn't matter if it is ground beef or not.

Does anyone else have an issue with ground beef, and if so, did it go away after some time?

I suppose for ground meat I can always use turkey but what about steak?

I may just have to give it up for the way it makes me feel.

:( :blink: :blush:

I didn't have a problem with beef, my problem meat was chicken breast. Any way shape or form, it was just too dry, and always got stuck. I figured out that I can have boneless skinless chicken thighs. I'm 4 months out, and have only tried beef 2 times. Both times it was filet, on the rare side, and therefore easier to chew.

Hi I havent had a problem with beef but I switch over to turkey meat for more Protein, I do have a problem with cheese and eggs no matter how they are prepared I get sick so now I just do not bother I think it is because of the changed my body is going through I will be 4 months post opt tomorrow.

I do not have a problem with it, I just haven't had much of a desire to start eating it again.

Wow. I sure have issue with it. I sometimes have problem with scrambled eggs. I seem to be able to handle them better when they are cooked medium and with cheese.

I wonder if today is just a really bad day for eating. I had trouble with tunafish at lunch and that has never happened.

Oh bother.

Hi Pik,

I'm a year out and I can eat ground beef and tenderized skirt steaks.

I use ground white meat turkey or ground white meat chicken a lot of times instead of ground beef.

Even though I'm a year out I still have problems time to time even with foods that I haven't had a problem with before.

I think that sometimes our bodies just want to be difficult.

I would try beef again if I were you in a couple of months and see what happens then or even just one month from now.

On to another subject and that is how you are feeling? Have things calmed down for you?

Take care.

Hi Pik,

I had a long conversation with my NUT about beef yesterday. She told me most everyone can tolerate it eventually. It may take a while for your intestinal enzimes, (disrupted by surgery) such as pepsin to function. They are not completely back in the first year past surgery. She told me it would be at least 4 months before she recommended I try beef. I think you maybe a little early. Also, she said at the beginning to place the lean beef in a food processor (ground is not fine enough) and making a little hamburger. You still have to chew it for the prescribed amount of time but it will be easier on your stomach.

I've tried it a few times and have been fine so far but I'm now about 9 months out from surgery. It took a while before I would even attempt it. However, I am trying to stay away from it and just have lean Protein but every now and then, I crave red meat.< /p>

At 8 weeks post-op, I definitely had a problem eating any kind of meat. chicken and turkey were the worst. Shrimp and crab legs lost their flavor. At 16 months post-op, I am more tolerant with meats. I found eating meat in chili and Soups works well. For chicken and turkey, the secret is to put them in a pot with a bouillon cube and bring them to a boil and then cook them in low heat for several hours until they are so tender they fall apart in your fork.

Hi Pik,

I'm a year out and I can eat ground beef and tenderized skirt steaks.

I use ground white meat turkey or ground white meat chicken a lot of times instead of ground beef.

Even though I'm a year out I still have problems time to time even with foods that I haven't had a problem with before.

I think that sometimes our bodies just want to be difficult.

I would try beef again if I were you in a couple of months and see what happens then or even just one month from now.

On to another subject and that is how you are feeling? Have things calmed down for you?

Take care.

I am doing much better since they took care of my stricture. I have been feeling my medicine go down and some feel like they are getting stuck again.

I imagine I will have to have another endoscopy for further dilation. Yesterday was the worse day since before. I was so nauseous and just on the verge of getting sick. I was feeling pretty bad...

Thank you so much for asking!

I do, I eventually gave up red meat completely. No beef or pork. I eat only chicken, turkey, or tuna.< /p>

I am 3months post op and I have some trouble w/ beef especially in dry grilled burger form. I found that I can prepare it as taco meat & add refried Beans & I seem to be able to eat that much easier.

Like Cupcake, I've switched to turkey burgers and chicken breasts. I tried a hamburger patty a couple of weeks ago and it came back up. No problem with pork yet.